12kHz squeal @ 0dBFS – not pleasant

Home Forums Products Plug-Ins 12kHz squeal @ 0dBFS – not pleasant

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      daxliniere
      Participant

Hello,

I just started using UltraChannel 2.0.5 (x86 in REAPERx86 v4.62 under Win7x64) and quite frequently, audio output is replaced by a very loud 12kHz squeal.

What information can I give you to help track down this bug?

All the best,

Dax.

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

That's very strange Dax,

What happens when you encounter this problem.  Can you help my by finding any steps to reproduce this issue?

Thanks,

Dan

daxliniere
      Participant

Hi Dan,

The situation I encountered yesterday occurred as soon as I inserted the plugin (after activation).
      I had inserted it as an item effect (plugin that runs from the item/media clip/etc), but when I experienced the problem, I moved it to the first insert slot (a very small percentage of plugins don't like to be used as item FX. As a former Magix Samplitude beta tester, I can verify this)

The sound was very loud and obnoxious, though it was going through a bunch of other processing.

Today, I was working on a mix that contained an instance of UltraChannel. I stopped playback and was sitting there when I noticed a quiet high pitch sound. I muted my speakers and it disappeared. I immediately heard it as 12k and put a spectrum analyser (SPAN) after UltraChannel.. sure enough -68dB 12kHz tone. I tired toggling the transformer (the only module that was enabled, but the noise remained (unchanged).)

The problem doesn't always seem to occur as soon as the plugin is instanciated.

There is no other information I can give you at present, unfortunately. Please let me know when you have a new beta to test, as unfortunately I can't keep using v2.0.5 with this issue while I'm working on client projects.

Best regards,
      Dax Liniere. 

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi Dax,

Certainly, I understand not.  Are you seeing this issue only in Reaper, or in other DAWs as well?

Also, if this happens again, can you double check to see if the UltraChannel effects are still working, or if the plug-in is just outputting the tone now?  Also, I'm curious if the UC effects themselves effect the tone, or if it's coming from after the effects.

I can follow up with you offline as well.  Would you mind emailing this to support@eventide.com and asking for Dan Gillespie?

Thanks,

Dan

ataboada

Hi Dax,

I am trying to reproduce the issues you are having in REAPERx64 v4.62 under Win7x64 and can't seem to hear any 12kHz squeal.  Was the squeal happening on any particular UltraChannel settings/presets?

Thanks,
      Anthony

daxliniere
      Participant

Hi Dan and Anthony,

I only use REAPER so can't ascertain if this is happening elsewhere.
      You will need keen ears & a quiet room (or just a spectrum analyser) to pick up on this sound.

In the first noticed instance of the problem, there were distortion plugins downstream which helped to make it louder. In those cases, the only audible sound was the tone, whereas the second time I noticed it, the plugin must have been passing the original audio since I didn't notice that the track in question was 'muted'/not playing.

In both cases, I disabled all modules, but had enabled transformer output and added a bit of output gain (~6dB). As I mentioned earlier, disabling the trafo didn't make the 12kHz tone disappear.

I'm in the middle of a bunch of demanding projects, but will get you some new information as soon as I can.

All the best,
      Dax. 

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Thanks Dax,

We'll let you know if we are able to reproduce.

Dan

daxliniere
      Participant

Hi Dan,

Since Omnipressor has stopped working all of a sudden (see other post), I thought I'd try the O-Pressor in UltraChannel.
      As soon as I inserted it, I got a horrible loud squeal. Disabling Compressor, O-Pressor did nothing, but disabling the EQ worked. I was left with a quiet residual 12kHz squeal.
      I re-enabled the EQ and the loud tone returned. I disabled each band one at a time and found that the High Shelf was causing the loud squeal.

I opened a sprectrum analyzer and screencap software and here is the result:

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi Dax, I'm going to contact you offline.

Dan

nspaas

Hi folks,

Same problem.  Win64 Cubase Pro8 32bt, RME HDSP, buffers irrelevent, one instance of Ultrachannel in the template, but the problem occurs across multiple projects, usually after an offline bounce or up project open. 

If a solution has been found, I would love to what it is, as this plug is stellar!

Thanks!

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

Hi nspaas-

What version of UltraChannel are you using?

Thanks,

Tom

nspaas

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.  This behaviour happens with both v2.021 and v2.0.5.  It abates when the hi EQ band is bypassed.

Thanks again.

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

Hi nspaas-

The most recent release of UltraChannel is v2.0.21, and this issue should have been fixed between v2.0.5 and now. I would try updating UltraChannel to the lastest version and see if that solves the issue.

The installers can be found here: http://www.eventideaudio.com/products/plugins/pitch-delay/ultrachannel

Let me know if that does not solve the issue.

Thanks,

Tom

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

nspaas-

My mistake, I read "v2.021" as "v2.01" in your reply. We will look into the issue.

Thanks,

Tom

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.