2 amp Wet/Dry + stereo

Home Forums Products Stompboxes 2 amp Wet/Dry + stereo

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      chrism27
      Participant

Is there a way to set up the H90 to run one preset W/D to two amps and another preset in stereo to the same two amps?

For example: guitar(mono) > drive pedals(mono) > H90 preset A (wet/dry) > H90 preset B (stereo) > reverb (stereo) > two amps. So to put in another way, the wet/dry presets would only send the wet effect to one of the two amps, but the stereo presets would send a true stereo signal to the two amps.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Sorry, it’s not clear what you are trying to accomplish. Typically, Wet/Dry and stereo do not co-exist, you either do one or the other. You can do a Wet/Dry/Wet rig if you want it in stereo.

You may be able to accomplish what you are trying by following the Parallel example here: https://cdn.eventideaudio.com/manuals/h90/1.7.5/content/setup/wet-dry.html#wet-dry-examples

Insert 1 will be the tap point for the dry amp, in this case it is after Preset A. If you set Insert 1 mix to 100%, this signal will not pass to outputs 1-2.

Preset B will be output to the wet amp, or stereo wet amps if you connect both outputs 1-2.

chrism27
      Participant

But I’m trying to accomplish is having my mod effects only go to one of the 2 Amps (wet/dry) while having things like delay and reverb go in stereo to both amps.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

No, this is not possible because in order to achieve W/D on the H90, we need to connect the dry amp to its own insert. For stereo audio, you must connect stereo pairs like Outs 1&2 or use the stereo insert from Outs 3&4. When connected for stereo audio, there’s no way to force the dry signal to one amp or the other. Add another amp, and you can do what you want.

gellert.m
      Participant

Not sure if I have the very same question as the huge amount of options paralyzes my a little. What I want is to have for example a wet/dry program on Bank 1 / 01 and a stereo wet / wet program on Bank 1 / 02. Have I understood correctly that this is impossible?

Second question, that might solve the issue: Is there any option that I hard pan an effect to left or right to achieve a pseudo wet/dry?

Kind regards

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

What I want is to have for example a wet/dry program on Bank 1 / 01 and a stereo wet / wet program on Bank 1 / 02. Have I understood correctly that this is impossible?

Correct.

Is there any option that I hard pan an effect to left or right to achieve a pseudo wet/dry?

No.

nightsweats
      Participant

I’ve been searching the forums and found this thread, which addresses the same problem I’m having getting set up. The H9 would allow the option of wet/dry vs stereo on a patch level; some could be wet/dry, others stereo. The example noted in the manual, using a pitch shifter with wet-dry and a reverb in stereo, is one of the applications I made of it. I just want to stress the importance of this capability for some applications.

It’s important for me when using a pitch shifter for harmonizing or automatic double-tracking, that the voices are segregated. In the former case, without this, when the device is followed by significant gain (i.e., cranked amps), intermodulation distortion becomes the dominant aspect of the timbre, which is not what two guitarists playing harmony together sound like at all. And in the latter case, it’s the only way to achieve a wide stereo image.

Yes, the H90 can be set up either way; but the value of the device would be enhanced if users in my situation could have an “A” patch with segregated voices followed by a “B” patch in stereo. Or even at least allowing this to happen between programs; but either setup requires different physical connections, if I understand correctly. At least for my case, it’s not necessary to have a rigid wet/dry definition, but merely to be able to pan or assign the voices (dry vs generated) to a left or right output in the patch.

It also seems to follow that using a wet/dry setup with the H90 precludes the use of a stereo insert.

So, I also want to verify — the H90 can import H9 patches (I haven’t tried this yet). But at least this routing aspect of the patch on the H9 does not come along with it, I would assume?

Thanks for your time!

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Hello,

You are correct that the wet/dry vs stereo operation of the H90 is not the same as the H9. The H90 requires different physical connections to accomplish either setup.

Using the Polyphony algorithm, there are discrete panning controls for either pitch shifted voice, so you may be able to accomplish what you are looking for with that algorithm by panning both voices to one side. This panning option is only available in a few algorithms (Polyphony, PolyFlex, Head Space) and it is not available for any H9 algorithms.

Yes, you can import H9 presets, but the routing of the presets will be determined by what I/O is hooked up to the H90 and how your inserts are configured. A summary of how the I/O is handled can be found in the Output Mode of the manual here: https://cdn.eventideaudio.com/manuals/h90/1.8.5/content/system-menu/io.html

Let me know if you have any other questions.

williamcotton
      Participant

I can get something like Wet/Dry coexisting with Stereo Wet/Wet with a quadraphonic setup.

I put the H90 into Dual Routing mode with a Mono Input on Input 1.

Outputs 1 and 2 go to a Stereo Splitter with one set of Left and Right going to a pair of Quilter 101s and the other set of Left and Right going to a Dream ’65.

The Effects loop on one of the Quilter’s has the mono Wet effect pedals (analog vibrato, digital spring reverb, analog delay) and is not routed into the H90. Each of the Amp outputs from the pair of Quilters go into the Left and Right speakers on a 2×12 cabinet. This means that stereo effects from Outputs 1 and 2 on the H90 are also spread across a Wet/Dry, but this works fine for my needs as the stereo image is narrow.

Meanwhile, the outputs from the Dream ’65 go into Inputs 3 and 4 on the H90 and tend to have most of the stereo Wet effects. Outputs 3 and 4 from the H90 go into a pair of FRFR speakers and with a wide stereo spread. I can bypass the H90 completely to keep a typical Wet/Dry setup and I can engage the H90 with stereo effects and get a Wet/Wet/Dry/Wet that sounds incredibly immersive while maintaining a crystal clear dry signal in at least one speaker.

For live sound I hard pan the Dream ’65 outputs and do a very narrow pan for the mic’d 2×12 cabinet.

Obviously this is not the budget route!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.