2 h9’s tap tempo

Home Forums Products Stompboxes 2 h9’s tap tempo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Mcdookus

I am now the proud owner of two h9's. I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to control the tap tempo for both h9's from one unit, without having to tap the tempo on both..I use a midi mouse to scroll through presets and it works beautifully for that. My pedal board is now jammed full and don't want to go the route of buying another midi pedal or even a small auxiliary switch. There's simply not the room.

many thanks

luke

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

MIDIclock would be the obvious way – have one control the other.

Mcdookus

I must be doing something wrong…….. I've got them talking to each other but can't get the tempos on both to work from one box. I've tried every combination of settings in both the clock and midi settings that I can think of….. I must be overlooking one slight setting….. Any help with this will be so much appreciated

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There are a few things to change.

1) Make sure the sender is set to MIDI/OUTPUT=XMT.

2) Make sure the sender is set to MIDI/CLK.OUT=ON.

3) Make sure the receiver is set to MIDI/CLK.IN=ON.

4) Connect a DIN5 between MIDI OUT on the sender and MIDI IN on the receiver.

That should do it.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Each H9 is actually also a decent MIDI controller.  You can use one H9 to send  MIDI program change AND MIDI clock to another H9 (or any other MIDI device on your board).   So……Here are a few options:

1.  You could technically lose the MIDI mouse and just use one H9 to change presets and control tempo on the other H9, but you would also lose a small amount of flexibility in scrolling because you have to press the big knob on the H9 to reverse the preset scrolling direction. 

2.  I know you don't want any more boxes, but a small MIDI merge box would solve your problem.  The MIDI mouse would plug into one H9 and one input of the MIDI merge.  The other input of the MIDI merge would receive MIDICLK from the first H9, and the output of the MIDI merge would go to the second H9.  This way you would be getting Program Change from the MIDI mouse and MIDICLK from the first H9.  

3.  Wire up a small single Aux Switch with 2 outputs and  plug it into both H9s.  You would assign the Aux Switch function to Tap.  If you're already using expression pedal in that jack, there is still a way to combine with a single button Aux Switch via a stereo Y-cable.  

4.  Switch to a MIDI controller that also has MIDICLK, or get something like this: 

http://www.moltenvoltage.com/products/TEMPODE_by_PedalSync_-_PedalBoard_MIDI_Clock_Injector_by_Molten_Voltage.html

Mcdookus

Thank you for your replies. I'm going to look at getting a tiny auxiliary Switch and having a reshuffle of the pedalboard. 

Thanks again,

luke

cljfford
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

There are a few things to change.

1) Make sure the sender is set to MIDI/OUTPUT=XMT.

2) Make sure the sender is set to MIDI/CLK.OUT=ON.

3) Make sure the receiver is set to MIDI/CLK.IN=ON.

4) Connect a DIN5 between MIDI OUT on the sender and MIDI IN on the receiver.

That should do it.

I’m not having the expected result when I follow the steps above and wonder if anyone can help me figure out what might be wrong. The receiving H9 does not adjust, i.e. speed. I know I have a working DIN5 cable between them because the receiving H9 can get messages from my MIDI foot controller. But in that case, my 1st H9 is set to MIDI/OUTPUT=THRU+MIDI CLOCK and the tap tempo is generated by the foot controller, sending a CC# to each H9’s MIDI Channel. 

I’d like to be able to adjust both tap tempos from the iOS app but can’t get the Control app Tap to adjust the tempo of the recieving H9. Is there anything else I should look at?

If it is relevant, the reciving MIDI Clock settings on the recieving H9 are: 

Enable MIDI Input Clock= NO (I’ve tried YES with no success)

Enable MIDI Clock Filter= NO

Enable MIDI Output Clock= NO

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      cljfford wrote:

I'm not having the expected result when I follow the steps above and wonder if anyone can help me figure out what might be wrong. The receiving H9 does not adjust, i.e. speed. I know I have a working DIN5 cable between them because the receiving H9 can get messages from my MIDI foot controller. But in that case, my 1st H9 is set to MIDI/OUTPUT=THRU+MIDI CLOCK and the tap tempo is generated by the foot controller, sending a CC# to each H9's MIDI Channel. 

I'd like to be able to adjust both tap tempos from the iOS app but can't get the Control app Tap to adjust the tempo of the recieving H9. Is there anything else I should look at?

If it is relevant, the reciving MIDI Clock settings on the recieving H9 are: 

Enable MIDI Input Clock= NO (I've tried YES with no success)

Enable MIDI Clock Filter= NO

Enable MIDI Output Clock= NO

You need to turn on the first H9's MICI Clock output (CLK.OUT -> ON), and turn on the second H9's Clock input (CLK IN -> ON). Then you should set both H9 into tempo mode (TMP ON in BPM) by pressing the right footswitch and the PRESETS button. (You may do this more easily in H9 Control). Now tapping on the first H9 should send a MIDI clcok to the second H9 and the second H9's tempo should sync with the first one.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.