2 weeks and encoder button is down

Home Forums Products Stompboxes 2 weeks and encoder button is down

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      otisdogwfwf1

Love the H9–play bass and guitar–bought for the guitar but amazed at its bass capabilities.

The encoder button used to allow me to click it to move up and down in the presets–the button no longer "clicks" or works unless I push down with an enormous amount of pressure using my heel. I used to be able to gently tap with my toe or my finger to allow  right side button to move either up or down with the preset.

Never left the house with it and its two weeks old.

Please help

gkellum
      Participant

Could you please send an email to support@eventide.com about this?

otisdogwfwf1

Ok

otisdogwfwf1

Sad as I dropped $699 on the H9 MAX and was expecting another level of quality–thinking about returning and keeping far away from EVENTIDE–just feeling a bit disappointed

gkellum
      Participant

Of course you're disappointed.  I would be too.  That's a lot of money.  For what it's worth though, we specifically designed that encoder to be press-able, and the encoder bottoms out against metal.  For that reason we very rarely hear about people having any problems with the encoder.  I don't necessarily hear about every return, but this is only the second time I can remember hearing about someone having this particular problem.

spaceJam

3 of my 4 Stomboxes have a "funny" encoder as well; not every "click" is actually doing something. So now I'm wondering if there's an official replacement that Eventide offers for a good price.

otisdogwfwf1

As mentioned , early on ( I only received the H9 MAX on 3/21/15)–the encoder was easily pushed using a light touch from my foot (w/o shoes) or simply lightly pressed with my finger. Just yesterday it seemed less responsive and the "click"  went away and now I need the strength of both thumbs or heel of my foot to activate. 

Used to be if I pushed anywhere (lightly) on the encoder it would work–now it must be pushed on Dead center–just saying.

I did forward initial issue to support as you suggested–just waiting to hear back.

Of course I could simply return to retail store (GC) as I have had it less than 30 days.

otisdogwfwf1

Update–support reached out to me, and talked me through the repair–which involved remedial skill and hand tightening a nut. I am always happy to help myself– happy I wasn't my usual impatient self, and that I didn't return it yesterday.

This thing is incredible, and as an avid bass player and guitarist this thing rocks

osroubek

Hi 

Do you mind explaining what you did to fix the encoder button problem. I received an H9 Max yesterday and the encoder button does not work. It does not push in and when I turn it, none of the parameters change. Not sure if I should fix it or just return it

Thanks

O. Sroubek

gkellum
      Participant

Sorry to hear that.  If you just bought your Max, you certainly should be able to return it to the store you bought it from for a new one, but here are the instructions in any case:

If you look at the encoder, there is a cap on top, the inner most circle, which you should be able to gently pop out with a pick or similar type of tool.

You should now see the nut. Gently loosen the nut

Lift the encoder knob at the sides and make the nut level with the top of the shaft.

Then tighten the nut without the letting the sides drop down.

It’s important that the nut is level with the top of the shaft. That will allow it to have the push function and to make the popping noise.

osroubek

Thank you. I worked it out and now all is well!

ozlo111
      Participant

Just to let y’all know, I have had the exact same issue with my H9. The encoder switch stopped clicking up and down whilst retaining its rotary function. I had to use a ton of pressure to use it as a switch, and eventually the whole thing ‘froze’ up, with the rotary function suffering too by becoming very ‘sticky’. Definitely something Eventide should look into. Fantastic pedal other than this flaw… To clarify, I pop off the button, and below is the shaft and so on that I fix; I don’t need to unscrew the shell of the pedal to access this stuff right?

gkellum
      Participant

I don't need to unscrew the shell of the pedal to access this stuff right?

Correct you don’t need to unscrew the shell of the pedal. The top of the encoder comes off to reveal a screw. If you want further help with the issue, please send an email to support@eventide.com. Perhaps we could make a short video showing how to adjust the encoder to fix this problem.

ozlo111
      Participant

Thanks for clarifying. I managed to fix the issue like the original poster, but perhaps a video would be a good idea if you guys get the time. The only thing that stumped me was that the cap of the encoder button itself came off. I thought i just removed the entire button and didn’t realise its center came out – it looks like one piece of plastic to the naked eye! Easy fix after that. Thanks for the fast support

Duncan21

Hi. I had this problem before and each time I was able to fix it by moving the nut. But now it doesn’t matter what I do. The encoder is rigid. No click or anything. With the cap off, the click works perfectly. Any ideas?

gkellum
        Participant
        Duncan21 wrote:

Hi. I had this problem before and each time I was able to fix it by moving the nut. But now it doesn't matter what I do. The encoder is rigid. No click or anything. With the cap off, the click works perfectly. Any ideas?

That's odd.  I asked one of our support people, and he's never heard of this particular behavior before.  But he said if you want to email support@eventide.com he could send you a whole new encoder for a reasonable price.

jeff_g
      Participant

Hey all, I know this is an old thread but I ran into this problem and found this video:

https://youtu.be/Vfw5-1iETv4

The guy goes way further than necessary; he has the whole thing apart and adds a few steps I don’t think are necessary, but it still helped to see how the knob comes apart and the process described above. Hope this is useful to somebody – I’m def glad to have my Hotknob back in working order. Thanks all!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.