3 button switch with momentary option for H90

Home Forums Products Stompboxes 3 button switch with momentary option for H90

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      walt.szalva
      Participant

I am seeking recommendations for an external 3 button switch that functions as an on/off and momentary switch for my Eventide H90. I am using the EXP/CTL Jack 1 for an expression pedal and the EXP/CTL Jack 2 for a 3 button switch; I am currently using a TC Helicon Switch Plus 3 plugged into Jack 2 for buttons 4-5-6. The issue with the TC Helicon is that it does not work as a momentary switch, only as on/off.

Searching around and looking on this forum, looks like the EHX Triple Foot Controller has been mentioned, but I would like to confirm that it works as a momentary switch before I purchase it.

Thanks!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hello walt.szalva, in order for any aux switch to work as a momentary switch you must be sure you’re mapping it to a momentary function. Have you tried using it to tap tempo or use the momentary performance functions?

coirbidh_99
      Participant

I can confirm that the EHX switch works properly when momentary functions are assigned to it.

walt.szalva
      Participant

Hi, joecozzi, thanks for the reply; it turns out that the TC Helicon does not work as momentary switches for the H90.

Thanks for the info, coirbidh_99; I am going to get an EHX.

walt.szalva
      Participant

Regarding the EHX,  coirbidh_99: do the buttons on the EHX sequentially correspond with the 4-5-6 buttons on the H90?

coirbidh_99
        Participant

From left to right, you mean? No. I don’t find it a problem, because I use the Learn function when assigning switches.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

It depends what EXP input the aux switch is connected. If connected to EXP 1, they will correspond to 1,2,3. If connected to EXP2, they will correspond to 4,5,6. As to whether or not the EHX is already wired internally in such a way that the H90 will sense them in order (switch 1=4, switch 2=5, switch 3=6), let’s let the EHX users chime in.

walt.szalva
      Participant

Yes, that makes sense; thank you for the info. My H90 setup has a Mission control H9 expression pedal on EXP 1 (which works great); and I am looking for a 3 button device that can extend the full functionality of buttons 4-5-6 out of EXP 2.

So far I have tried a TC Helicon Switch 3 that a friend loaned to me, and the 3 buttons correspond left-to-right to 4-5-6; but the buttons do not support momentary use. I also have a Pigtronix Universal 3 button box that sequentially DOES NOT match the H90 (it is wired to work with the H9, according to the company website), and DOES NOT support Momentary use.

Would it be possible to implement a feature, in the future, to assign individual buttons via the H90, so as to allow for more third-party pedals to work with the H90?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Would it be possible to implement a feature, in the future, to assign individual buttons via the H90, so as to allow for more third-party pedals to work with the H90?

Not sure what you mean by this, but right now, the H90 can detect which switch is being pressed. If you enter System Settings and go to I/O, on the third page we can find the I/O-Exp & Aux settings. Under Pedal 1 and Pedal 2, we can assign whether it accepts switches or an expression pedal. If we’ve chosen switches, we can then use the third Quick Knob to enter Calibration. As you press the switches on your 3-button aux switch, the H90 will tell us what switch number each press corresponds to. Once we know this, we can assign any switch to any parameter or global settings.

It does not matter how your chosen aux switch is wired internally. The H90 accepts all of them. The only aux switches not compatible with the H90 are those wired with internal resistors like the Strymon MultiSwitch.

walt.szalva
      Participant

OK, user error on my part. I found the solution in the global settings, per your input. Thank you! Heh, I was looking for some sort of settings in the software as opposed to scrolling trough the menu pages on the H90.

The only other issue is that the H90 – with my quick tweaks to the settings to try to quickly resolve this – can not discern between an on/off and a momentary switch… but, I will check the settings on the H90 a bit more in depth when I have time to fix this.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I was looking for some sort of settings in the software as opposed to scrolling trough the menu pages on the H90.

On H90 Control, if you click on System up top and then click on “External Control,” you can see all the parameters that are mappable. Click on anyone and you will see the option to assign a control source, which could be any of your switches or expression pedals.

The only other issue is that the H90 – with my quick tweaks to the settings to try to quickly resolve this – can not discern between an on/off and a momentary switch… but, I will check the settings on the H90 a bit more in depth when I have time to fix this.

Which functions are you trying to assign? In this same list I just mentioned, notice some parameters have an “M” in parentheses. (M) These are the momentary parameters.

walt.szalva
      Participant

Ah, thanks joecozzi! Tweaker’s paradise.

walt.szalva
      Participant

Thanks for the input, joecozzi and coirbidh_99. I have figured out the external 3 button momentary vs on/off option in the Performance Parameter edit mode on the H90; and I have gotten it to work as desired after editing a few individual performances. My error was that I was going about it in the External Control page in the System tab of the editing software; as opposed to the individual Performance Parameter mapping section on the pedal. It is definitely a flexible option to be able to assign and tweak the controllers on each individual performance preset, and I would not want that option to go away.

However, what I meant earlier is that it would be nice if there was a global option to have the external 3 buttons map out to the second page performance control switches across every performance. Basically, implementing the highlighted text below, but having it work globally across every performance.

Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 10.46.44 AM

coirbidh_99
        Participant

Someone from Eventide: is that what the PERFORM 1 through PERFORM 6 global mappings are for?

walt.szalva
      Participant

Yup, so far, it is looking that way here via my external Aux box with these System settings shown in this screen grab. Going through some more performances to check…

Much thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 12.51.44 PM

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Someone from Eventide: is that what the PERFORM 1 through PERFORM 6 global mappings are for?

Yes! That is correct.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.