32 bit floating point

Home Forums Products Stompboxes 32 bit floating point

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      davemevans
      Participant

Is the H90 A/D converter(s) 32 bit floating point? 32 bit A/D accuracy in pedal effect quality makes a lot of audible difference to acoustic instruments in my experience e.g. as in the GT1000 or the strymon effects are much clearer on a quality acoustic guitar than 24 bit pedals. I’d buy one if it is 32 bit or above.

brockstar
      Participant

Sample rate 48 kHz AD/DA 24-bit, DSP 32-bit floating point <– from the manual

brock
      Participant

From the H90 FAQs:  48 kHz, AD/DA 24-bit, DSP 32-bit floating point.

noodle1
      Participant

A/D on the BOSS is 32-bit / 96 KHz and DSP is 32-bit floating point
      A/D on the Eventide is 24-bit / 48 KHz and DSP is 32-bit floating point

PRSGUY513
      Participant

It’s the quality of the DAC’s that really matter. Having 32/96 of noisy, lifeless headroom is pointless.

noodle1
        Participant

Yes. Maybe I should have written a disclaimer with that…
        Always try before you buy!!!! They know people are basing (too much) of their decision-making on these ratings. DO NOT rely just on manufacturer specs…

davemevans
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Thank you for the information.</p>

PRSGUY513
      Participant

Yes. Maybe I should have written a disclaimer with that…Always try before you buy!!!! They know people are basing (too much) of their decision-making on these ratings. DO NOT rely just on manufacturer specs…

👍Yes you’re right. And it’s really tough to sort through so much of it. I have the advantage of an electronics background, but it still takes using it firsthand. I sometimes forget that people are using these pedals for more than electric guitar which for the most part these days the sound quality is plenty sufficient, especially for live use.

davemevans
      Participant

The clarity gain for acoustic instruments of 32 pedals is marked. But even electric guitarists talk about extra ‘responsiveness’ of such pedals e.g. The gt1000 (32 bit) increase in sound quality over the gt100. There’s a good YouTube video of the sound difference between the two with the same settings that clearly demonstrates the difference in sound quality on quality speakers. The extra definition / quality is important for acoustic instruments especially if they are played gently. Electric guitars less so I feel.

PRSGUY513
      Participant

The clarity gain for acoustic instruments of 32 pedals is marked. But even electric guitarists talk about extra ‘responsiveness’ of such pedals e.g. The gt1000 (32 bit) increase in sound quality over the gt100. There’s a good YouTube video of the sound difference between the two with the same settings that clearly demonstrates the difference in sound quality on quality speakers. The extra definition / quality is important for acoustic instruments especially if they are played gently. Electric guitars less so I feel.

Theoretically it is technically true, but I’ll take my Fractal FM3 or AxeFXIII with its 24bit/48kHz converters over a GT-1000 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. There’s so much more to the whole equation. The other thing that I always question is the fact that most everything will be down converted or digitally compressed at some point for mass consumption. If in fact the integrity can be maintained from beginning to end then it’s worth it. Admittedly it’s always best practice to get the highest quality take as possible regardless of what happens afterwards. I guess I just see these processors as performance gear and as long as the analog circuitry before and after the conversion process is up to snuff 24bit is sufficient. Or, I really wonder if the perceived 32bit difference is more placebo or some other aspect of the design of say, the gt-100 to the gt-1000. The coding of the Algorithms can make or break these types of processors. In the end it’s whatever makes you happy and want to play.

davemevans
      Participant

How can it be a placebo if I say I can clearly hear the difference? Please try not to be rude when replying, and as I said my question applies to acoustic instruments not distorted mid heavy tones of electric guitars

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.