5.9.0 is out?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes 5.9.0 is out?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      skywriter
      Participant

Just informed today that 5.9 is available.

I still only see 5.8.5 release ntoes.

noodle1
      Participant

I just installed the new version of H9 Control and when you open it for the first time it will read your stompboxes and ask if you want to update them to v5.9.0[2]

Note says “improved aux switch performance”

apalazzolo
      Participant

I saw the same message when I simply fired up the control app today.  May I ask someone from Eventide to explain how the aux switching is improved?

tstern
      Eventide Staff

Some users were getting lag from aux switch actions in the more processor-intensive algorithms.  We found the issue and made it more responsive.

tstern
      Eventide Staff

The only other thing (even slightly) relevant to current H9 owners is that the Preset LED now blinks when you increment/decrement and load a preset.

There were also some changes that we needed to make to support H9 production, but we like to keep the software in sync across production and publicly available channels.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

5.9 is a fairly minor release, mainly to support new parts that replace the ones we can't get any more.

We improved the switch and pedal response cos it needed to be done.

skywriter
      Participant

WHY did you all of a sudden after all these years CHANGE the look of control app???

The product was bloody done.

mooncaine

I like the new interface changes. Looks better on my computer and it’s easier on my eyes.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

We had complaints that it looked dated. You can please some of the people ..

Bodde
      Participant

Any screenshots of the new look? I like the old look and not sure I want to update now. What is the last version with the old look? And will it always be available?

BMW-KTM
      Participant

My only concern with an interface is functionality.  If it works and it’s easy to use then it is perfect just the way it is and no changes are needed or even wanted.  I’m too busy actually using the product to waste my time worrying about how the interface looks and I suspect most H9 users are the same.  Sometimes the squeaky wheel should just be ignored.  If the wheel really does need grease there won’t be any doubt.

thefollower
      Participant

I for one have hated the H9 Control user experience from the beginning. Serial # 01277 and 22177.  Basic things like copy/paste requiring too many steps, no right click, drag-n-drop is awkward, always having to goto “More” drop-down to do everything, , presets always saving to the wrong place,…  Such an awesome pedal, such a poor interface.  Just saying.

apalazzolo
      Participant
      tstern wrote:

Some users were getting lag from aux switch actions in the more processor-intensive algorithms.  We found the issue and made it more responsive.

Many thanks.  Does it do anything else?  Seriously … anything?

apalazzolo
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

Better dated than the incoherent and inconsistent scribblings of a child with a fistful of crayons.  I updated the control app for the beta but have since gone back to the older (professional) version.    I, for one, am not going back to the “update”.

The H9 is musical wonderland.  So much of it was so well done.  After almost three years of working with it I’m still surprised and impressed with it. 

IMHO, however, the H9 has two significant (but easily corrected) flaws.  First, the new GUI is a big step backwards.  Second, the inability to control the output fader with the ribbon controller unnecessarily limits its live use (one needs to haul around extra level-shifting pedals as it is).  IMHO they are both unforced errors  Oh well, it is still a fabulous piece for what it gets right.

skywriter
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

Nick, I get that. But really, the product was done. You closed it down, everyone was happy.

The app, since we have to have one, should be considered part of the instrument. I like the way my stuff looks. I like the way it works after all these years, and the way it presents itself. It felt like you snuck in my house while I was asleep and repainted my H9 and changed the knobs all around.

For what? New customers?

Now the INFO text is so small I can’t even read it any more. Please change THAT back at least.

kspicknell
      nickrose wrote:

So far, I personally appreciate the cosmetic refresh of H9 Control on iOS and iPadOS. I worked at an Apple Store when iOS had a significant redesign (I think it was iOS 7?), and the change was quite jarring to a lot of users, at first. Until the other day, I assumed H9 Control would always look pre-iOS 7, because of a desire to support devices that still run many-years-old versions of iOS. The fact that H9 Control now looks more modern, while still supporting devices running OS as far back as iOS 9, is appreciated! Sorry that it’s impossible to please everyone, and sorry to those who are displeased. The only constant is that nothing is constant?

apalazzolo wrote:

… the H9 has two significant (but easily corrected) flaws … Second, the inability to control the output fader with the ribbon controller unnecessarily limits its live use (one needs to haul around extra level-shifting pedals as it is).

For anyone who, like me, reads this and wonders whether there’s any way to adjust the output level directly on H9 (without the app), this is what the user guide says to do: “To set output level: Press and hold the Left Footswitch – the Preset will now be Active. After holding for 2 seconds, the display will show [OUTLVL], and then a second later [0] (or the current value). Continue holding the Left Footswitch while turning the Knob to adjust output level from -12 dB [OUT-12] to +12 dB [OUT+12] in 1 dB increments. Release the Footswitch – the Preset will return to its previous Active or Bypassed state. The next time you do a Press and hold of the Left switch, it will return to the last thing you adjusted. Note: Preset output levels must be saved, even if there are no other changes to the preset, or the output level will revert to its previous setting the next time the Preset is loaded. In other words, if you want the adjusted output level to ‘stick’, you must re-save the Preset.”

apalazzolo
      Participant
      Bodde wrote:
      Any screenshots of the new look? I like the old look and not sure I want to update now. What is the last version with the old look? And will it always be available?

I posted some in the sticky Updated Control App thread. 

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      skywriter wrote:

Now the INFO text is so small I can't even read it any more. Please change THAT back at least.

I assume you are using an iOS device. You can use 2 fingers to zoom in & out the info text.

Bodde
      Participant
      skywriter wrote:
      nickrose wrote:

Nick, I get that. But really, the product was done. You closed it down, everyone was happy.

The app, since we have to have one, should be considered part of the instrument. I like the way my stuff looks. I like the way it works after all these years, and the way it presents itself. It felt like you snuck in my house while I was asleep and repainted my H9 and changed the knobs all around.

For what? New customers?

Now the INFO text is so small I can’t even read it any more. Please change THAT back at least.

I agree with you. I got so used to the old look and I liked it. No need to change that for me.

But can’t you just revert back to an older firmware? Then you have the old look but then you miss the new updates and features. Maybe it is an idea to have a choice if you want the old or new look? Don’t know how practical that is for Eventide though.

apalazzolo
      Participant
      Bodde wrote:
      skywriter wrote:
      nickrose wrote:

Nick, I get that. But really, the product was done. You closed it down, everyone was happy. The app, since we have to have one, should be considered part of the instrument. I like the way my stuff looks. I like the way it works after all these years, and the way it presents itself. It felt like you snuck in my house while I was asleep and repainted my H9 and changed the knobs all around. For what? New customers? Now the INFO text is so small I can’t even read it any more. Please change THAT back at least.

I agree with you. I got so used to the old look and I liked it. No need to change that for me. But can’t you just revert back to an older firmware? Then you have the old look but then you miss the new updates and features. Maybe it is an idea to have a choice if you want the old or new look? Don’t know how practical that is for Eventide though.

Yep. Just don’t update.  I don’t need a solution to an aux button problem I never had.  Eventide is now putting their efforts into the dot9 pedals so there won’t be anything to miss in the future.  Keep the old version and everyone is happy.

aljen
      Participant
      thefollower wrote:

I for one have hated the H9 Control user experience from the beginning.

While „hate“ is something I can’t second even metaphorically, the GUI concept of H9 is actually still something I have to get used to… maybe some sunny day.

What I like very much, though, is the new simplified graphics. Significantly less clustered than the old one, which was really old if you ask me. The streamlined interface concept makes much more sense. Being myself a graphic designer I could never understand why I should get fooled by graphics that suggest to be 3D while they are shown on a flat screen. 

So keep it up, Eventide. 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.