A few more operation questions

Home Forums Products Stompboxes A few more operation questions

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #113690
      Tim Zurowski
      Participant

      I have tried to find answers for these questions, but so far have been unsuccessful. First, I will say I have had my new H9 for about a week now and I am really loving this pedal. I am especially impressed with the CrushStation and Sculpt algorithms. Having been a pro player for over 40 years, I have owned and used MANY dirt pedals, and these two algos do a great job. I have been asking many pedal builders for many years to add a parametric EQ to their pedals, and your algos have proven how invaluable (at the very least) a mid parametirec EQ is for a dirt pedal. Questions:

      1)  I can’t see it said anywhere if the pedal is USB2 or just the older USB?

      2) Is there any way to change or reduce the font for the preset names? For example when I first set up my presets for the CrushStation, I named them Crush1, Crush2, Crush3, etc. But the pedal cannot display that many characters. If we could make the font smaller, or allow more of the display window to be used, it would be helpful.

      3) Is there any way to globally delete presets; i.e. shift click to select a group and then delete? I have set my H9 for about 12 of my own presets, but when I use the H9 control to arrange or delete them, it keeps adding all the original built in presets to the mix and really slows it down and makes the process cumbersome. I want to get rid of all the factory presets from my preset list. Is there any way around this?

      Lastly, you desperately need to add auto spell check to this forum 😉

      Thanks 🙂

    • #144320
      gkellum
      Participant
      Tim Zurowski wrote:

      1)  I can't see it said anywhere if the pedal is USB2 or just the older USB?

      I just asked one of the hardware designers.  He couldn't remember.  Is there any particular reason you're asking?

      Tim Zurowski wrote:

      2) Is there any way to change or reduce the font for the preset names? For example when I first set up my presets for the CrushStation, I named them Crush1, Crush2, Crush3, etc. But the pedal cannot display that many characters. If we could make the font smaller, or allow more of the display window to be used, it would be helpful.

      Show More...

      You mean on the H9 itself?  It doesn't have a display with pixels that supports different fonts or sizes.  It's a sixteen segment display:

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixteen-segment_display

      The reason we use these is that they are the only displays that are bright enough to still be readable outside in sunlight. 

      Tim Zurowski wrote:

      Is there any way to globally delete presets; i.e. shift click to select a group and then delete? I have set my H9 for about 12 of my own presets, but when I use the H9 control to arrange or delete them, it keeps adding all the original built in presets to the mix and really slows it down and makes the process cumbersome. I want to get rid of all the factory presets from my preset list. Is there any way around this?

      No, there's not a mechanism for deleting presets.  What you could do though is create a new preset list with just the 12 presets you use, make whatever changes or modifications you want to that list, and save changes to that to your H9.

       

      Show Less...
      • #144321
        Tim Zurowski
        Participant

        1) USB2 would just be faster, especially for downloading and updating firmware updates, but not a huge deal. I would be suprised though if such a new device was using archaic technology like USB1, when we are now at USB3

        2) Yes, on the H9 itself. This makes naming the presets very limiting, but I can deal with it. You really need to have the presets named with 5 or less characters then. I changed my CrushStation presets to simply be OD1, OD2, OD3 etc. Problem with this though is that it does not identify between CrushStation or Sculpt then I would like to be able to name them Crush1 or Sculpt1, but this will not work becasue tyou cannot see the full name. Being able to reduce the font or see more charaacters would be ideal, but I do understand the limitations.

        3) I did create a new preset list with my 12 presets, and I have set the H9 to only scroll through those 12 presets; however, when I view that specific preset list in the control software, it still lists all of the factopry prests after my 12. Plus, when I delete one of my 12 presets, it still goes through all 99 presets to shift them because one has been removed. I would like to be able to manipulate and work with just those 12 presets, or whatever is just in my preset list, and not have to deal with all the remaining factory presets. It takes awhile to simply delete one preset when it should be instantaneous. Perhaps this has something to do with just working with the speed of USB1?

      • #144333
        Marcel
        Participant
        Tim Zurowski wrote:

        3) I did create a new preset list with my 12 presets, and I have set the H9 to only scroll through those 12 presets; however, when I view that specific preset list in the control software, it still lists all of the factopry prests after my 12. Plus, when I delete one of my 12 presets, it still goes through all 99 presets to shift them because one has been removed. I would like to be able to manipulate and work with just those 12 presets, or whatever is just in my preset list, and not have to deal with all the remaining factory presets. It takes awhile to simply delete one preset when it should be instantaneous. Perhaps this has something to do with just working with the speed of USB1?

        I don’t understand: when you create a new list with 12 presets (in the control software) and you upload it to the H9 and you set the size of the list in the H9 to 12….then you have:
        1. In the H9 a viewable and scrollable list of 12 presets;
        2. In the H9 a real list of 99 presets;
        3. in the H9 Control software a list of 12 presets.
        So if you edit a preset on the H9 itself and download from H9 to H9 Control you have a list of 99 presets, but if you do your editting things in H9 Control then you only deal with the list of 12 presets. I edit and tweak in H9 Control, and only have to deal with a limited preset list.

      • #144340
        Tim Zurowski
        Participant
        Marcel wrote:

        I don’t understand: when you create a new list with 12 presets (in the control software) and you upload it to the H9 and you set the size of the list in the H9 to 12….then you have: 1. In the H9 a viewable and scrollable list of 12 presets; 2. In the H9 a real list of 99 presets; 3. in the H9 Control software a list of 12 presets. So if you edit a preset on the H9 itself and download from H9 to H9 Control you have a list of 99 presets, but if you do your editting things in H9 Control then you only deal with the list of 12 presets. I edit and tweak in H9 Control, and only have to deal with a limited preset list.

        That’s how I had assumed it would wqork, but it does not work that way here for me. FWIW, I have saved the H9 Preset List to a PC. I have the H9 set to only scroll through 12 presets, which it does. However, when I save the H9 to a preset list, I can see it transferring my 12 presets, PLUS all the remaining factory presets for a total of 99. Then when I view that same preset list on my PC in H9 control, it shows all the factory presets after my 12. So when I delete one my presets, it takes a long time because it has to shift all the presets one spot. So how do I get rid of the factory presets from my prest list? Also, it would be useful to be able to select more than one preset (i.e. Shift/Click) and delete a group as desired. As it is, it takes a ton of time to delete a few presets from my list because it has to go through all 99 presets to make the change. If it was only 12, like you suggest, that would really speed things up and make it a lot easier. I must be missing something here, but so far it has not worked the way you suggest it should??

      • #144343
        Marcel
        Participant
        Tim Zurowski wrote:

        That’s how I had assumed it would wqork, but it does not work that way here for me. FWIW, I have saved the H9 Preset List to a PC. I have the H9 set to only scroll through 12 presets, which it does. However, when I save the H9 to a preset list, I can see it transferring my 12 presets, PLUS all the remaining factory presets for a total of 99. Then when I view that same preset list on my PC in H9 control, it shows all the factory presets after my 12. So when I delete one my presets, it takes a long time because it has to shift all the presets one spot. So how do I get rid of the factory presets from my prest list? Also, it would be useful to be able to select more than one preset (i.e. Shift/Click) and delete a group as desired. As it is, it takes a ton of time to delete a few presets from my list because it has to go through all 99 presets to make the change. If it was only 12, like you suggest, that would really speed things up and make it a lot easier. I must be missing something here, but so far it has not worked the way you suggest it should??

        Yes, I think you are missing something 🙂

        >>>> You can get rid of most of the presets not by deleting them, but by making an empty list in H9 Control and adding the 12 presets to it. Now how to do that?

        I work with iPad, perhaps with PC it reacts different, but you can try this:

        1. Make a new empty preset list in the H9 Control software

        2. Go to your 99 pesets list which has only 12 you want

        3. select the first of your best 12

        4. go to the new empty preset list

        5. click the Plus button (on the first empty slot) , the preset appears in the screen

        6. Click “preset lists” on bottom of screen

        7. a dialog appears, asking if you want to save the preset to position 1 of your new preset list, choose ‘yes’

        Show More...

        8. go to you 99 presets list

        9. select the 2nd of your 12

        10. continue from step 4….etc,etc….

        There you have it…..a list with only 12 presets 🙂

        I would export that list, to have a backup.

        So you can delete not by deleting, but by creating a new list 🙂

        Show Less...
      • #144335
        nickrose
        Moderator
        Eventide Staff
        Tim Zurowski wrote:

        USB2 would just be faster, especially for downloading and updating firmware updates, but not a huge deal. I would be suprised though if such a new device was using archaic technology like USB1, when we are now at USB3

        The USB interface for the H9 and 'Factors is fully compliant with USB 2.0 full speed specifications, but  the data rate is less than the maximum possible 12Mbps. Since it is mainly used for simple control and occasional updates, we did not feel it worth increasing the cost of the pedal to allow faster rates which would be rarely used.

      • #144341
        Tim Zurowski
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

        The USB interface for the H9 and ‘Factors is fully compliant with USB 2.0 full speed specifications, but  the data rate is less than the maximum possible 12Mbps. Since it is mainly used for simple control and occasional updates, we did not feel it worth increasing the cost of the pedal to allow faster rates which would be rarely used.

        Thanks, but I find it hard to believe that going to USB2 should increase the cost of the pedal at all. USB2 is old technology now and it should just be a very basic change. I found the firmware update to be very slow (I think it took over 5 minutes) and I have a screaming fast PC. Anyway, no big deal, just surprised that anyone would build a powerful new pedal with outdated connection technology.

    • #144342
      nickrose
      Moderator
      Eventide Staff

      I intended my reply to clearly state that the USB was 2.0. Apologies if this was unclear.

       

    • #144344
      Marcel
      Participant

      @Tim Zurowski – I want to add that exporting lists is in an option in the settings in H9 Control, in case you haven’t noticed that. (On iPad you can’t specify which list you want to export, you can only export all of them at once.)

    • #144496
      Tim Zurowski
      Participant

      Hi Marcel . . . . . .sorry it took me so long to get back on this one. I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly. I now have a saved Preset List for my 12 H9 presets. I will say that I would likely never have figured that out on my own though. Seems very onerous for a process that could be simpler and more intuitive. I still wish that we could shift/click to select a bunch of presets and apply whatever we want to all at once (i.e. delete, move, etc.) This really sped up my editing though by not having all the 99 presets there to have to save and shift.

      Still would like to see auto spell check bult into the forum wink

    • #144497
      Marcel
      Participant

      Hi Tim, don’t worry about your late reply, its no problem. I am happy to hear it worked. And I agree with you about that it would be nice to click a bunch of presets and having options (to delete, move, copy to, etc. ) applied to them all at once.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.