A shame you can’t stack/combine Algorithms!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes A shame you can’t stack/combine Algorithms!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      MrT
      Participant

The great thing about the H9 is it eliminates the need for a million pedals on your board, but I find I still need to add say a Chorus, Phaser etc. because you can’t stack sounds. For example, it would be great to use a delay with a chorus for nice cleans, or have a bit of delay on Crush Station for solo’s (or I use the gain on the EQ for a boost also), or mix a phaser with a little gain etc…. Some would not work of course, but there are some obvious pairings that would be very useful! (like delay and chorus)

Also, Pitch Flex is great, but you need to come up with a ‘Whammy”!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Our Sales department says:

You may need another H9 ….

kenhan
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

That’s cute.

But H9 has a few things going against it. There are other effects units that can do multieffects at much lower cost of ownership. I bought a H9 Core, and by the time I qualify for H9 Max I will have spent almost $1,000. Even at that point it is arguably a $1,000 mono effect device, which means, for any given moment, in order to use 1 algorithm I needed to spend a $1,000. The total cost of ownership for 1 algorhithm is actually far less if one doesn’t spend too much money on H9 ecosystem. Right now I think I’ve spent a little less than $500 in total, and still, so it’s costing me $500 at any given moment to run 1 algorithm. Quite expensive.

H9 sound quality is probably superior (but, is that **really** true?), but I’m thinking more and more it’s not several hundred dollars superior. I wish Eventide would completely wow H9 owners with the kind of things not available on other devices, and make it easier to buy in and stay in the ecosystem.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        kenhan wrote:

so it's costing me $500 at any given moment to run 1 algorithm. Quite expensive.

I rather think you could make the same argument against any multi-effect unit, including our more expensive rack systems.

But, this is a flawed viewpoint, You are not just buying a unit that runs one algorithm. If this is all you want, an H9 is not for you. Amazon has a $30 fuzz box you might consider.

What you are buying is a unit that will run fifty or more high quality algorithms, meaning you can select from them to give you many many different great sounds in a single set. If this appeals, an H9 is worth considering.

MrT
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

Meaning I run a midi controller so I can access 10 presets easily. How does that work with 2 H9’s? Would you need a seperate midi controller for the other one?

Styrioci
        MrT wrote:
        Meaning I run a midi controller so I can access 10 presets easily. How does that work with 2 H9’s? Would you need a seperate midi controller for the other one?

not at all, you can program H9 to listen on another MIDI channel, or create your own midi maps, so by calling preset 1 on MIDI channel 1 for example you need to save presets on 1st positions you want to run on both H9s at the same time and configure H9s to listen on MIDI channel 1.

jfzander
        styrioci wrote:

MrT wrote:

not at all, you can program H9 to listen on another MIDI channel, or create your own midi maps, so by calling preset 1 on MIDI channel 1 for example you need to save presets on 1st positions you want to run on both H9s at the same time and configure H9s to listen on MIDI channel 1.

Do I need a MIdi Controller at all if I only have H9’s in my midi chain? Can’t the first H9 serve as a controller for the others? 

MrT
      Participant

Would be a nice luxury to have 2 maxed out H9’s! Better get my lottory ticket!

skywriter
      Participant

Your sales department is right! I have 5, they’re awesome! 🙂

skywriter
      Participant

I wanted to express the opposing viewpoint; once I bought the H9MAX, being able to buy successive H9Core and have the entire algorithm set available to each one was a terrific idea. Even though I have a large gaggle of Moogerfoogers, I don’t use any of them for guitar pedal’s anymore. Instead I have a set of 5 H9’s, and the ability to utilize anyone of the possible H9 algorithms in any order, not only obviates having any other pedals, but the the sheer number of possible effects chains is awesome! One favorite is 4 liquid chorus’s followed by a light plate reverb – oooooo so thick! I rarely turn to my H8000FW, H3000 D/SE or GTR 4000 anymore for guitar effects. There just so many incredible sounds, and the configuration is dead simple; just hook them up and a couple of spare iPad’s later, you’re making delight!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.