Above zero and below zero pitch on 910/940 algorithm

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Above zero and below zero pitch on 910/940 algorithm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      garbeaj
      Participant

I was given the following presets to try for an early Van Halen style detune harmonizer sound from a Pitchfactor user:

910/949-2
      MICRO SETTING
      PITCH-A: -7 (BELOW ZERO)
      PITCH-B: -9 (ABOVE ZERO)
      DELAY-A: 8MS
      DELAY-B: 20MS
      X KNOB: 6
      Y KNOB: 5

I’m not sure how to go about achieving this on my H9. As far as I can see, the only way I can even adjust settings is to go into a factory preset and change the preset parameters.

So, for instance, I tried going into the “Fat H910” preset to attempt to adjust it to the settings I was given. On Pitch A and Pitch B I only see a minimum setting of 0.908 and a maximum setting of 1.092…there doesn’t seem to be a way of dialing in the “-7 BELOW ZERO” and “-9 ABOVE ZERO” settings.

Can anyone help me figure out how to set all these settings on my H9?

Thanks in advance!

gkellum
      Participant
      garbeaj wrote:
      On Pitch A and Pitch B I only see a minimum setting of 0.908 and a maximum setting of 1.092…there doesn't seem to be a way of dialing in the "-7 BELOW ZERO" and "-9 ABOVE ZERO" settings. Can anyone help me figure out how to set all these settings on my H9?

This would be easier to dial in with the MicroPitch algorithm.  Hopefully, that would give you the same sound?  I'm guessing -7 below zero is 7 cents below the normal pitch value and -9 above zero is 9 cents above the normal pitch value?

garbeaj
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:
        garbeaj wrote:
        On Pitch A and Pitch B I only see a minimum setting of 0.908 and a maximum setting of 1.092…there doesn't seem to be a way of dialing in the "-7 BELOW ZERO" and "-9 ABOVE ZERO" settings. Can anyone help me figure out how to set all these settings on my H9?

This would be easier to dial in with the MicroPitch algorithm.  Hopefully, that would give you the same sound?  I'm guessing -7 below zero is 7 cents below the normal pitch value and -9 above zero is 9 cents above the normal pitch value?

Yes, that would be cent references above and below the actual pitch.

These settings were given to me by a Pitchfactor user and it seems like I should be able to dial in everything the same using my H9. Isn’t the H9 and the Pitchfactor the same when you are using Pitchfactor presets as a starting point?

And am I correct in my understanding of how the H9 works? There is no baseline Pitchfactor setting on the H9? You are just supposed to select a factory preset and commence to dialing in settings from there?

As far as I understand, you should be able to dial in cent based Pitch changes on Pitch A and Pitch B on an H9 just as you would on a Pitchfactor and just as you would on a vintage Eventide 910 or later Harmonizer?

Again, these settings were achieved on a Pitchfactor so it seems like there has got to be a way to reproduce these settings on an H9?!

garbeaj
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:
        garbeaj wrote:

Yes, that would be cent references above and below the actual pitch.

These settings were given to me by a Pitchfactor user and it seems like I should be able to dial in everything the same using my H9. Isn’t the H9 and the Pitchfactor the same when you are using Pitchfactor presets as a starting point?

And am I correct in my understanding of how the H9 works? There is no baseline Pitchfactor setting on the H9? You are just supposed to select a factory preset and commence to dialing in settings from there?

As far as I understand, you should be able to dial in cent based Pitch changes on Pitch A and Pitch B on an H9 just as you would on a Pitchfactor and just as you would on a vintage Eventide 910 or later Harmonizer?

Again, these settings were achieved on a Pitchfactor so it seems like there has got to be a way to reproduce these settings on an H9?!

gkellum
        Participant
        garbeaj wrote:

These settings were given to me by a Pitchfactor user and it seems like I should be able to dial in everything the same using my H9. Isn't the H9 and the Pitchfactor the same when you are using Pitchfactor presets as a starting point? And am I correct in my understanding of how the H9 works? There is no baseline Pitchfactor setting on the H9? You are just supposed to select a factory preset and commence to dialing in settings from there?

Yes, you should be able to dial in everything on the H9 that you can on the PitchFactor.  I suppose one the H910 algorithm you would dial in the pitch 1.09 for nine cents above zero and 0.93 for seven cents below the normal pitch.  When you're dialing things in on the H9 itself and modifying a parameter value, pressing the encoder (the big black wheel) switches you into fine tuning mode and pressing it again takes you back out.  You'll probably need to enter fine tuning mode to enter those values.

brock
      Participant

The H910 / H949 algorithm displays frequency ratios (true to the original hardware).  The MicroPitch algorithm uses cents.  Those settings that you received appear to be a mixture of both algorithms.  Two ways to quantify pitch shift, with almost exactly the same result.

Here’s the equivalent H910 / H949 preset; converting cents to ratios.  You can use either MICRO or NORMAL PITCH CNTRL (the 2nd preset here changes TYPE to H910).

Using that algorithm allows you to retain some of the character of the original rack units.

Another route – as gkellum mentioned – uses the MicroPitch algorithm, and stick with parameter values in cents. MicroPitch is a more “MODERN” equivalent, in terms of its processing, plus the ability to add LFO modulation.

Note that I swapped your PITCH A and PITCH B channel settings.  PITCH A is locked to positive deviations (above unison), with PITCH B going negative.  A single FEEDBACK control regenerates for both DELAY lines.

garbeaj
      Participant

Wow! Thanks gkellum and brock for those replies…It makes way more sense now! I’m just a dumb guitar player that took twenty years to pass college algebra so this is all extremely new to me. The most modern piece of hear I owned before the H9 was my late 70s Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man!

I’ll happily try out these settings! Thanks again!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.