AD/DA conversion question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes AD/DA conversion question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Kentchorder

Hello,

first I apologize, if this is already long time answered and I just missed it somewhere, but:

I read in I think Pitch Factor manual, that there is NO AD/DA conversion in this digital effect.

Is that true for all Factor pedals? Or is that true at all?

I am working on some guitar solo with with PF doing 1 or up to 2 octaves sweep up and down. I noticed when pedal in DSP mode signal gets a bit flat. I am using quite simple chain before it:

Guitar->Martin 2Wah-> Wampler Ego compressor-> BK Tune driver-> PF then in stereo => TF=> DI=>DAW

Thanks!

Kentchorder

Bump.. Nobody has any info …

gkellum
      Participant

Kentchorder:

Is that true for all Factor pedals? Or is that true at all?

No, that's not true about PitchFactor or any of the other Factor pedals.

Kentchorder:

I noticed when pedal in DSP mode signal gets a bit flat.

That's not really very much information to work with.  I'm not sure what you mean by "flat".  You mean "flat" as in not fizzy meaning maybe darker in tone?  You mean "flat" as in the pitch is flat or sharp?  You mean "flat" as in the signal is being flattened and loosing some of its dynamic range?

Kentchorder

Hi and thanks for answer,

first I have to say I have all 4 Factor pedals and I love them.

Sorry for poor description of the sound. I mean signal looses dynamics or let say starts to sound more synthesizer- like. Slight overdrive crunch is not there. Maybe it is my mistake in order of pedals. I am aiming for sound similar to David Gilmour solo in The Blue song from On the Island record.

Thanks!

Styrioci

Kentchorder:

I read in I think Pitch Factor manual, that there is NO AD/DA conversion in this digital effect.

I believe that you are talking about Relay bypass mode, that's the only thing that make sense from what you say and then the answer is yes. when pedal is bypassed signal is switched directly from inputs to outputs and it's not passing through AD/DA converters of the unit.  but obviously, if it's digital FX unit, there have to be AD/DA conversion. there is no chance for digital FX without AD/DA conversion.

Kentchorder

Hi,

thx for answer, but qkellum already answered this part of my question. I am wondering what is bit depth of AD/DA.

Eventide recommends to have PF after overdrives/boosters etc, but seems to me in my case, that signal looses some of its dynamics when shifted (PitchFlex effect) up +1oct, and also signal seems to start to be somehow colored to sound more synthesizer – like. If this is normal that it is what I have to live with, or maybe I am doing some mistake in pedal's order on board or something.

My main overdrive is BK Buttler Tube Driver sometimes combined with BYOC Royal Beaver (to kick more harmonics in signal – usually set to Ram's head setting).

Also I was wondering:

Now I have first unit in chain Radial Loopbone (in loops: in first are some compressors and in second BYOC Beaver) which is buffered loop switch. Tube Driver is in main signal patch after Loopbone but it is in third effect loop switched on /off by Radial EFX passive loop switch.

All my Eventide pedals follow -> PF then stereo =>MF=>TF=>Space then DI (2x A/DA GS-2) => DAW

Now I started to wonder if I should have all Eventide in line mode instead of guitar/amp to prevent double buffering and crank up signal level before them.

Anyone knows what is dynamics range in line mode compared to guitar/amp mode ?

Thx !

Styrioci

drive pedals reacts differently when they are driven by different input signals. pitch based effects change signal drastically in same cases and distortion may sound fluby. it's always better to feed distorted sound into pitch shifter, than pitch shifted sound into drive effects. but it also depends on the results you're after. pitch factor in front of drive effects may work for you, why not…

I believe that from some firmware version all factor pedals had input calibration option. dynamic range (I think you used wrong term here) is same never mind line or instrument mode. it's just input/output impedance matching for specific applications in which pedals will be used.

Kentchorder

Hello again and thanks for answer,

yeah I guess I shuffle my pedals a bit around, and see what happens. I am sorry about my inability to express myself clearly about 'dynamic range'. I understand impedance matching and/or buffering in general. My idea was just driven that maybe I just use Factor pedals at line level (instead of instrument level). Is there any info about input calibration? I found only possibility to set up output levels. Encoder+ left ( Active) switch in patch mode if I am not mistaken.

Thx

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.