aDria Belew…imposible pedal. settings!!!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes aDria Belew…imposible pedal. settings!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      wilderton1
      Participant

any chance the pitch factor could do this…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fwsoD4Q5W8

brock
      Participant

That footswitch will have to take a beating [MTBF?].  You can do it in the PitchFactor using two aux switches (which are easily replaceable).  {Note that it's also quite possible to assign KB0 – Mix and KB1 – Pitch Mix to a single Aux switch  –  see below}.

Use the HarModulator or H910/H949 algorithms to set up your intervals (e.g. 3rd and 5th).  You could even use HarPeggiator, Crystals, or even PitchFlex with the right settings.  Just intervals; no delays or extraneous parameters.  Diatonic or Quadravox will get you scaled-constrained effects.  Try that, "Impossible".

Under the AUX SW system settings:

KB0 (Mix)  >  TIP

MIN VAL –  WET:  0

MAX VAL  –  WET:  100

KB1 (Pitch Mix)  >  RNG

MIN VAL  –  A10 + B0

MAX VAL  –  A0 + B10

One aux switch alternates dry signal and interval.  The other aux switch alternates between the two pre-programmed intervals.  Barely more fancy footwork than the Impossible Pedal, yet more controllable and configurable.

You can also do this with an external MIDI pedal.  I use my FCB-1010 to alternate dry signal and intervals in a momentary (dry on release) configuration.  Another way is to use the EHX 8 Step Program plugged into the PF expression pedal input.

It looks like this Impossible Pedal is similar to the Whammy DT momentary function, except feeding two pitch shifters.  I read that it was based on Belew's Harmony Man technique.  Cool enough, but I'll stick with my Whammy / Ring Thing / PitchFactor combination to cover my pitch mangling needs.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      Diatonic or Quadravox will get you scale-constrained effects.  Try that, "Impossible".

ImpossibleMelody

Mix = WET: 100

Pitch Mix = A10+B0

Pitch A = A:  -4th**

Pitch B = B:  +7th**

Delay A = A:  NO DLY

Delay B = B:  NO DLY

(encoder) = DIATONIC / TMP: ON or OFF

Depth / Key = E**

Speed / Scale = min**

Xnob = FB-A:  0

Ynob = FB-B:  0

** Pitch A and Pitch B Intervals, Depth / Key and Speed / Scale of choice.

System Settings  >  AUX SW

(AUX SW 1) = K0  >  TIP

(AUX SW 2) = K1  >  RNG

Aux switch MIN and MAX Values default to full range of knob travel.

Play your favorite melodies – any genre.  Switch virtual 'fretboard positions' using combinations of the two Aux switches, while maintaining the same fingering pattern.

Aux switch 1 changes the Mix from WET: 0 to WET: 100.  Aux switch 2 changes the Pitch Mix from A10+B0 to A0+B10.  Creative use of the aux switches adds difficult leaps in melodies, hammer-ons, pull-offs and tapping effects that remain locked to the selected key & scale.

wilderton1
      Participant

Thanks!!!  really cool tips…i´ll go and by me the external switch….any suggestions??…the digitech seems to be the right choice, very expensive though!!!

brock
      Participant

In a pinch, you could get by with a keyboard sustain pedal (KB1 > TIP for switching between intervals), and the Active / Bypass on the PitchFactor.  It's fairly easy to build a 3-way aux switch with an enclosure, three momentary switches, and a couple of diodes.  There are schematics and YouTube videos around the 'net.  You're right: a lot of commercial switch sets are expensive for what's actually in them.

At some point, I found two Boss FS-6 dual footswitches on sale for less than a single DigiTech 3-way.  I like the heavy-duty switches (same as the FCB-1010 or Roland MIDI pedalboards).  They also have momentary/latching switching, polarity switching, the ability to gang several together, or use the aux switches individually.  The downside is that they require 9V to work and power the LED's.

The bottom line is that you can make aux switching work with any one, two, or three momentary switches; even cheap-o Radio Shack switches.  Holding up to the abuse is where the more expensive options figure in.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.