algorithms

Home Forums Products Stompboxes algorithms

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      melodisk

can we expect new algorithms soon ?

and what about paying for more than 1 effect at a time rather than buying yet 

another h9, it would make me stay with my h9 rather than jump on the new axe fx thingy 🙂

joinpobob

I finally broke down and bought an H9 core so now I run two H9s.  While many of the H9 algorithms do combine two effects, so much depth is added by having two H9s so that I can get two effects at once.  With that said, a huge downside is that you need to keep track of which combinations you want to have at the same time.  I use a midi controller, so for the most part, once I set the right combination, it works fine.  But often I change things on the fly for different songs and also loose track of which combinations I have planned out and which are just randomly set.  While I do not have and have not tried an Axe, I assume that it would be cool to set and save pre-planned presets.  I also wish the H9 had distortion, which the Axe does.  Of course, as currently setup with only being able to have one algo at a time, if you ran distortion on the H9 you wouldn't be able to use the cool H9 algos you want.  So, with all that said, I too really wish more than one algorithm could be used at one time.  

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry guys – our algorithm designers are only human, and want to make the very best sounds that they can. As a result, they tend to use all the power that is available.

We could say, do half the best you can, and only use half the power, so we could run two algorithms. And, they'd probably quit. So we don't.

Or, we could install twice the power it currently has, and have to increase the price a whole lot. And nobody would buy it. So we don't.

So, alas, there are reasons why things are what they are.

KCStratman
      Participant

Nick, I respectfully submit that you are talking out of both sides of ET's face – engineering and marketing. Anyone who has purchased more than one H9 and more than a few algorithms would be better served by an "H99" with dual engines, bigger display, and more external controls. The ET model of buying into a system of hardware merely being a vessel for digital algorithms begs for a better vessel. Physically, the H9 is a beautiful piece of minimalist design but is far too limited in ease of external control (including display size) and total effects chain available. The solution is not to water down processing power to provide more simultaneous effects but to double the processing power, especially with the importance of longer looper memory time to stay competitive. ET customers looking for the best will pay for it. The H9 as it sits now is a good "baby" high end processor but needs to grow up someday. As it sits now the H9 is in danger of being a mere iphone toy ready to be tossed aside for the next incremental model upgrade. (Apple is tripping over themselves bringing out new models with bigger display screens – hint, hint!) THE SINGLE BIGGEST COMPLAINT REGARDING THE H9 IS ITS LACK OF MULTI_EFFECTS PROCESSING FOR ITS PRICE AND SOPHISTICATION – its all over the internet – so if the processing power needs to be doubled then double it! Keep safe the sonic quality of ET but be willing to quickly shed a constricting exoskeleton. My point is ET should be making this high end hardware platform with with room inside to double up its powers in the very forseeable future. To maximize live performance capabilities, both three button aux switches and expression pedal use simultaneously are mandatory. And a bigger display. Do we really have to go to mounting ipads and androids on stalks to have a cogent display?

There also enters the issue of "enduring quality". A twenty year old Harmonizer can still be a prized possession in a studio rack, but twenty years from now when I am long gone will my son be able to use my "account collection" of algorithms in a prized vintage H9, or "H99" or "H999"? As long as there is a hardware platform offered that continues to accept the current algorithms as long as ET itself exists then ok, if not then not ok. We expect ET to help protect and leverage our investment in the future, not squander it. This is an important issue I have never heard addressed by ET – if stompbox algorithms are non-transferable do they "die with me"? I expect to be able to leave a fully functioning ET processor to my heir no different than a vintage guitar or tube amp! I would really like to see a policy statement from ET ensuring their commitment to safeguarding their customers' continuing investment into the future. Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I was talking about the current product and trying to explain why it is what it is.

KCStratman
      Participant

I understand and appreciate your support. Could the issue of investment in a hardware/software system of "enduring quality" particularly the legacy ownership of effects be addressed? Thanks!

melodisk

well,if i start to calculate,i have 2 options, 1 is to buy a second h9 to gain 2 effects at the same time.

second is to sell my h9 and add the extra cash to get an axe fx8 that will run 8 effects at the same time,

in all honestly i can say im going to spend a few extra bucks and get the axe,just wich h9 had more power

🙂

tsutek
      Participant

The unlocked algos would still be present on the pedal, even without an account? And the H9 would happily still function from the front panel, you could make new presets and alter the midi mappings etc.. I fail to understand the logic of your statement.

But if your point is "we need an UAD-style of platform as the next H9 model" ie. a system where you can buy more DSP as well as more algos.. Yeah, I wouldn't have any problem with that tbh 🙂 Just as long as  all the functionality is completely standalone, that is.. Like the problem with UAD Apollo, it should be able to store and recall all the console presets (heck why not even be able to alter params) even without attaching a computer to it..

melodisk

im thinking running more than 1 effect at a time in standalone mode,kinda like uad yes,

but i think ET did not put enough power into the H9 so this apparently will never happen unless

you compromise quality,anyways im happy with the quality of the H9 and i guess im wishing a bit to much

🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.