An (unplugged) software plug-in suggestion for Eventide…

Home Forums Products Plug-Ins An (unplugged) software plug-in suggestion for Eventide…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      n13L5
      Participant

Mostly this would be just a re-packaging of functionality you have already created:

– There is a big problem for many computer users (including non musicians) that Eventide could solve without having to write something completely new and without cannibalizing any of its existing products:

Whenever you listen to movies, music, Youtube or use Skype in Windows, there is nothing to regulate dynamic and / or large jumps in volume between differnet apps. 

That means every day, but more so in the evenings, you have to keep manually adjusting volume up and down continually.  Movies are particularly impossible, as the action scenes will wake up the whole house, even if you have it just loud enough to understand the dialog in between.

The solution:

A compressor / limiter that doesn’t live inside a DAW, but sits in Windows’ audio output stack, compressing, limiting all audio that Windows sends to the speakers.

You could price it to reach the entire windows market, because every user I see is fighting with the same volume jumps in computer output every day.

And you got the name and the reputation  🙂

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

Hi n13L5-

Thanks for the suggestion! While I agree that this can definitely be a big headache to deal with, I unfortunately don't really see us making something like this down the line. However, a quick google search for "Windows audio compressor/limiter" shows that there are already some solutions out there, so I'd recommend checking those out 🙂

Best,

Tom

n13L5
        Participant
        TLongabaugh wrote:

Hi n13L5-

Thanks for the suggestion! While I agree that this can definitely be a big headache to deal with, I unfortunately don’t really see us making something like this down the line. However, a quick google search for “Windows audio compressor/limiter” shows that there are already some solutions out there, so I’d recommend checking those out 🙂

Best,

Tom

I have done numerous google searches for this, and after seeing your reply, I repeated the search with your exact terms:

The results I get are mostly people talking about wanting one on various forums, but nothing that actually works – there’s one that requires you to infest your computer with the security hole that is Java, another is Mono, and the most promising one I ever saw does not run on Windows 8 or later.

Now I can fully appreciate if Eventide has better projects cooking.  But if you really did find something that works, I would much appreciate a link to it, because, as we know, google results are different for every geographic location and even differ from person to person in the same house.  Most of the hits are just people on forums, talking about it but not finding anything.

tlongabaugh
        Eventide Staff
        n13L5 wrote:

I have done numerous google searches for this, and after seeing your reply, I repeated the search with your exact terms:

The results I get are mostly people talking about wanting one on various forums, but nothing that actually works – there's one that requires you to infest your computer with the security hole that is Java, another is Mono, and the most promising one I ever saw does not run on Windows 8 or later.

Now I can fully appreciate if Eventide has better projects cooking.  But if you really did find something that works, I would much appreciate a link to it, because, as we know, google results are different for every geographic location and even differ from person to person in the same house.  Most of the hits are just people on forums, talking about it but not finding anything.

Hi n13L5-

Ok, I didn't mean the "google it" suggestion to sound like a dig – I was simply looking myself and saw (what I thought was) a fair bit of info. The particular results I found were Java based, which you mentioned not wanting. If I ever come accross something I can let you know.

Best,

Tom

n13L5
        Participant
        TLongabaugh wrote:

n13L5 wrote:

The results I get are mostly people talking about wanting one on various forums, but nothing that actually works – there’s one that requires you to infest your computer with the security hole that is Java, another is Mono, and the most promising one I ever saw does not run on Windows 8 or later.

Hi n13L5-

Ok, I didn’t mean the “google it” suggestion to sound like a dig – I was simply looking myself and saw (what I thought was) a fair bit of info. The particular results I found were Java based, which you mentioned not wanting. If I ever come accross something I can let you know.

Best,

Tom

Thank you! 

I did not take it as a dig, I know how easy it is to search right past something…

But the truth is, you might just have a higher chance than me to run into something, working in the field and all!

I am wondering now, there could be a compressor/limiter library available somewhere, that I could maybe tie into some simple code to roll my own 🙂

Time to try a different search ^^

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

I would imagine there's probably programs to route audio internally in Windows before it hits the output driver, you could potentially use a tool like that to route your audio to a plug-in host and then to the computer's physical output. Just guessing here, though.

n13L5
        Participant
        TLongabaugh wrote:

I would imagine there’s probably programs to route audio internally in Windows before it hits the output driver, you could potentially use a tool like that to route your audio to a plug-in host and then to the computer’s physical output. Just guessing here, though.

Yes, like using “Virtual Cable” and running everything through my DAW…

I worry that would be tedious and eat too much of my memory

I will try for something neat, that’s a small package, easy enough for my grand mother to set up, that will automatically run at start up without further user interaction required.   Sort of like that Wendelstein X-7 fusion reactor, you know?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.