Any plans for a Pitchfactor stompbox?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Any plans for a Pitchfactor stompbox?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      antonzedd

Hey Italo, any plans for a Pitchfactor stompbox? Or, are these pedals the only two Eventide will make? Just curious, can we look forward to more stompboxes in general?

rmaxwell

Hi Anton,

Ray here.  We are very interested in what people want us to build next.  Which pitch effects do you need/want?

antonzedd

Hi Ray, let me say that being a guitar player for the last 36yrs has been quite a journey. I've tried nearly every FX stomp box out there, I'm also a current owner of a DSP4000 (which never leaves the house).

I also work in a giant music chain in Canada in the guitar dept. selling guitars effects and the like. What I'd like to see Eventide build next would be revolutionary in the guitar stompbox medium… A "Pitchfactor" pedal with effects like…

1. Harmonization semi-programable presets (maybe some H3000 presets)

2. Drop tuning multi-voices, each programable by octave or interval

3. Guitar doubler effect, for thick rich sounds

4. 5-6 part harmonies, programable in intervals (not key specific)

5. DADGAD shifter (or what ever tuning you dial in), every chord you play shifts to what it would be in DADGAD even though your playing in standard EADGBE

6. Multi-octave voices, up to 14 voices

7. What you play forwards, also plays backwards (at the same time)a la Hendrixy

8. Expresion controlled pitch shifter, programable by octave or interval

9. A different variation to the Ya Ya Voice shifter effect, maybe 5sec sample you can transmit via USB as a .wav file that stores in the unit. That way you can change the wave file to what you'd prefer instead of Ya Ya which has been over used as of late.

10. Bass grundge pitch shifter, turn your guitar into a heavy baritone guitar

11. Play a note and it auto shifts in real time to desired programed pitch, and you can select
      how many notes you play before it shifts to the next programed shift (interval or note choice) upto 10 programable shift points before the pattern repeats.

12. Play a note and have it shift to 5-7 note arppegio higher or lower

13. Pattern shifter in a variety of patterns that you can input with a dial one note at a time
      10 note limit

14. Augmented / Diminished shifter, shifts to augmented chords with each note played

15. Stereo spread shifter/panner. play a note it shifts back and forth in stereo L>R a desired amount of times.

16. Some really whacky guitar FX sweeps, circular shifts, ball bounce shifts, *but no crystal shimmers please.

Keep in mind that I love the sounds of the DSP4000 so I maybe over doing just it a little. But atleast it would perform smart harmonizations with the most basic of principles of what a harmonizer should do without lugging around big heavy racks.

You guys have already set the standard why not raise the bar, nobody will be able to compete thats just a fact of life.

P.s. If you listen to some clips of my music you'll understand better what I mean.

Anton Zedd

http://www.myspace.com/antonzedd

jcshirke
      Participant

RMaxwell:

Hi Anton,

Ray here.? We are very interested in what people want us to build next.? Which pitch effects do you need/want?

I'd say two essentials would be the (now classic) "shimmer" effect–octave up + reverb/regeneration. And also a great whammy that is on par with the classic whammy fx.

Jeff

rmaxwell

Great guys! Thanks for the thoughtful feedback!! Anybody else?

apollon

Yes a Pitchfactor would be awsome!

First post here

I got i Timefactor and think its awsome.

Best regards Andreas

Sweden 

I would definitely buy a PitchFactor pedal… great idea!

Roobin

One thing I've just thought of, don't know if it's practical or even feasible…since there could be a whole host of different 'programs' eg whammy, shimmer, multi-complex-harmony-wacko,etc, would it be possible to 'upload' and 'download' programs into the Pitchfactor using a computer? So if you want program 1 to 10 (or however many), you have them, but is you want to have program 11, you could swap out one you don't use, eg program 2. If one program takes up a lot of memory, you could swap it in for 2 or more programs. I understand that memory was a concern with the Modfactor, this could be an alternative way providing a range of effects.

JimiB

"I'd say two essentials would be the (now classic) "shimmer" effect–octave up + reverb/regeneration. And also a great whammy that is on par with the classic whammy fx. Jeff "
      I think if it did these 2 effects really well I would be worth it for me to own one.

john_y

I would also be in favor of a "pitchfactor".

At the least it should do the basic whammy things as mentioned above which would let me retire the whammy pedal, and also basic Octave pedal type stuff one octave below and 2 octaves belows and let me adjust the level of each…

On top of that it seems that it should be able to generate atleast 2 harmonies at whatever desired intervals, perhaps even in 1/4 step increments to give you some capabilities to greate absolutely grotesque sounds. 

Myramyd
      Participant

I think a PitchFactor would be great. I don't have anything to add in terms of features but, I will say that nearly every musician forum I've read people are griping about not having a decent "pitch" pedal.

I have a Whammy and an EHX POG and find both to be more useful than I thought, however they both only really do specific things:

Whammy – Great for foot-controlled bending up and down octaves–harmonies are terrible/artificial sounding. Almost no control over mix, which doesn't help.

POG – Amazing for 12-String, 18-String or octave blending. A huge step up from the Whammy in this respect. Much more natural sounding. However, limited to octaves only.

I think pitch features found in the studio Eventide products would all be welcome. The TimeFactor is an unreal pedal–can't wait to get the ModFactor and I'm sure anything else you do will be just as great.

Thanks for the impeccable quality at an almost affordable price! 😉

Haha–it's worth it though.

Mr_Clean

Hi, I would love to see the algorithms underlying Crystal Echos & Diamond Rain Eclipse presets in a pedal, in addition to the fx's listed below, cheers

g-nem

1 – classic whammy with no alteration of dry sound when the pedal is up.

2 – polyphonic pitch shifter with level pan and filter controls.

3 – intelligent 3 part harmonizer (duh).

4 – doubling / detuning effect.

5 – classic analog (Boss OC2) style 1 / 2 octave down.

6 – octavia style "dirty octave"

7 – you should have control over wet AND dry level and panning, and a good control for pitchshifted tone / timbre

8 – also could include multiband processing for pitchshifting and distortion.

shood

I am unfamiliar with "the (now classic) 'shimmer' effect–octave up + reverb/regeneration"…

Can someone give me an example?

Thank you,

Sean

jcshirke
      Participant

There probably are other artists who use this effect, but I'm most familiar with it through The Edge's playing. He uses this "shimmer" effect on a lot of songs. Probably the most well known example is "With or Without You". If you listen to some live versions, you can hear it very prominently starting in the second verse. A similar (if not identical) effect is on the album version, though. He uses this same effect in other songs, too. Sometimes the use is more subtle than others.

Shimmer can easily be mistaken for a keyboard. It's so smooth and lush sounding, you'd swear there was no way a guitar was producing the sound. But, it really is an octave up effect combined with delay and reverb. Check out any of the "Crystal" presets ("Crystal Echoes", etc.) on many Eventide units. It pretty much nails the "shimmer" sound.

Jeff

Mr_Clean

Hi, re the Edges 'shimmer"…..I worked on a U2 tour many moons ago and discussed the mysterious shimmer effect with Edges tech (nice guy BTW). He informed me that its actually an AMS 1580 delay / pitch shifter feeding back on its self and effected with reverb (I believe an SPX1000 at the time, but maybe a Lexicon now). He had a custom rack unit made to control the loop and phase back to the AMS. A VCA volume pedal arrangement controlled the send level of the effect.The AMS was routed to a separate amp via Edges switching system, and I believe a DI feed to the PA. Apparently either Brian Eno or Dan Lanois were instumental in creating this effect in the early 1980's. In any case the Eventides can easily create a similar effect (Crystal Echos etc) and given Edge has had an H3000 in his rack since the late 1980's, no doubt he has used the Eventide version of the effect on many tracks !

JohnLutz

I'm out of room on my pedal board with a ModFactor and TimeFactor. How about adding the Shimmer/Crystal effect to the ModFactor under Undulate?

all i have to say is this:

MAKE SURE I'TS POLYPHONIC

meaning you play a chord into it, each note of the chord gets a pitch, like the hog/pog

and i think i should beta test this, i've got experience testing, scripting test scenerios etc….

send me one now so I can make sure it's bug free 🙂

jcshirke
      Participant

thisafternoon:

?Whoehoo there it is!

?

http://eventidestompboxes.com/PitchFactorDemo.html

And the obvious question is–this will be available when?

Jeff

merlin17
      Participant

In the demo it says for the MicroPitch setting: +/-50 cents, that can't be correct…
      Anybody know the real settings for the shifts and their delays?

Peter

IDeangelis

That's just the range covered by the algorithm

Micropitch is:

left pitch: 9 cents/right pitch: -9 cents

left dly: 0 ms/right dly: 25 ms

Cheers

I

IDeangelis

…along with the next springtime flowers…..

Paradise

I

riegomachine

Ups! I just bought a Eventide Timefactor. This new pedal seem to also have delay. I'm thinking about returning it. What type of delay this unit has?

I'm really just going to use the digital delay on the timefactor and the reverb, tape delay for something similar to a flanger…

I can also do delays and chorus with the pitchfactor, right?

And if there's any other reason you could tell me to get both…

iseman

I have been playing with the Mothership Guitar Synth. One very cool thing is their approach to ring modulation, which uses a pitch-tracking carrier wave that can be tuned, and then applies the ring modulation effect consistently with the underlying pitch … i.e. you can play a C scale and get the ring-modded pitches you would expect to hear in the C scale with comparable tones. To me, this is musically how all ring modulators should work, because it is musically intuitive.

However, the problem with the MGS is pitch tracking, namely glitches that appear in the upper register notes. My experience with Eventide products, and what I see in the PitchFactor demos leads me to believe you have excellent pitch tracking. What I suggest is you feed the pitch tracking output into ring modulation algorithms to create musical ring modulation. The input pitch could be shifted and the offset tuned or fine tuned for the desire ring mod tone. It would also be nice to offer several types of carrier wave (sine, square, saw, etc), and perhaps even the original modified signal. It may even be interesting to see how other Eventide modulations work as the ring modulator carrier wave. This could get REALLY interesting!!!

Cheers,

Kevin

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.