Automate Midi CC control on Stompbox w/ Ableton Clip Envelopes?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Automate Midi CC control on Stompbox w/ Ableton Clip Envelopes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      toddrico

I can send midi CC from an ableton clip envelope and I thought it would be great to automate the state of the patch active/bypass by drawing automation in the clip envelope for the corresponding midi CC. I'm using CC3 for Bypass and CC4 for Active.

I've been able to send Midi clock from Ableton to the Pitchfactor as well as send Program change with a Max for Live CC to Program change plug in to change patches. So I know my midi connection is working from Ableton to Pitchfactor. I've noticed that there is a long delay between the time the message is sent from ableton to when the patch actually changes on the pitchfactor. Might be a different issue…

Anybody have any luck with Midi CC's and ableton to automate bypass/active states?

My Pitchfactor is on the latest 5.0.0 beta 4 firmware so I could update the pedal with the H9 software.

Thank you for your time and help!

-Todd

brock
      Participant

toddrico:

I can send midi CC from an ableton clip envelope and I thought it would be great to automate the state of the patch active/bypass by drawing automation in the clip envelope for the corresponding midi CC. I'm using CC3 for Bypass and CC4 for Active.

Disclaimer:  I'm familiar with Ableton Live (in the past), but I've used Sonar and other DAWs for years now.  First question:  Is there a reason that you need to use two separate CCs for Active and Bypass?  I would go with a single CC message bound to one or the other, or use the 'Toggle between Active & Bypass' setting (my preference).

Quote:
      I've been able to send Midi clock from Ableton to the Pitchfactor as well as send Program change with a Max for Live CC to Program change plug in to change patches. So I know my midi connection is working from Ableton to Pitchfactor. I've noticed that there is a long delay between the time the message is sent from ableton to when the patch actually changes on the pitchfactor. Might be a different issue…

I'm guessing here. I don't have any knowledge of your system setup, that plug-in, or how you have the envelopes drawn.  But you only need a single CC value to turn a 'switch-type' parameter on & off.  You may have an envelope drawn that is transmitting many 'OFF' values in a series, before it reaches an 'ON' value.  But I would think that would result in many converted CC-to-Program Change messages in a series.  Perhaps too many for the PitchFactor to handle.  Again, only a guess.

Quote:
      Anybody have any luck with Midi CC's and ableton to automate bypass/active states?

My Pitchfactor is on the latest 5.0.0 beta 4 firmware so I could update the pedal with the H9 software.

Try something like this:  If you're using CC#4 for Active, draw an envelope with a sharp, vertical step; up & down.  In effect, a square wave.  When the value for CC#4 goes to 64 through 127, the PF should be Active.  When the CC#4 envelope snaps down to 0 through 63 for a value, the PitchFactor should go into Bypass.

I have V. 5.0.0 [1] loaded here.  It shouldn't be that much different.  You may find that you like the TOG parameter action for working with externally generated envelopes.

toddrico

Now I see the light! Thank you, it's working great now!

-Todd

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.