Aux switch

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Aux switch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Dario

Hello folks,

I’d like to buy the H9 MAX, but I’m very worried for the lack of the third switch found on the other Factor’s pedals serie.

If I use the Y cable ( TRS to two TS), to connect an Exp pedal and the Boss FS-5U simultaneously, do the Boss switch will operate like the regular third switch of the Factor’s pedals? Do it will provide automatically the corresponding function found on the Factor Pedals? Is it the same for the Exp pedal?

With the latest H9 upgrade, is the Harpeggiator now in sync with the Global Tempo or with MIDI Clock?

For the rest, all the algorithms of the pedal are inside the H9 MAX, right? 

Let me know, Thanks

gkellum
      Participant
      Dario wrote:

If I use the Y cable ( TRS to two TS), to connect an Exp pedal and the Boss FS-5U simultaneously, do the Boss switch will operate like the regular third switch of the Factor's pedals? Do it will provide automatically the corresponding function found on the Factor Pedals? Is it the same for the Exp pedal?

If you connect an aux switch, it won't automatically start acting like the 3rd foot switch on a Factor pedal, but you can configure it to do this.  There's a configuration screen in H9 Control dedicated to aux switch mappings where you can map a particular aux switch to a particular pedal function.  You'd want to map the aux switch to the "Performance switch" option.  You can also configure this on the H9 in the system settings screen.

Dario wrote:

With the latest H9 upgrade, is the Harpeggiator now in sync with the Global Tempo or with MIDI Clock?

What problem are you referring to with regard to the Harpeggiator?  There weren't any specific changes to the Harpeggiator in the last release.  It can track a MIDI Clock just as it always has been able to, but it doesn't respond to MIDI start or stop messages which some people have asked for.  The Harpeggiator also listens to MIDI Clock messages directly whereas other algorithms use the filtered, stabilized MIDI Clock values.  This means that the Harpeggiator won't work well with unstable MIDI Clock values, and DAWs on computers always produce unstable MIDI Clock values whereas drum machines and other dedicated hardware typically produce fairly stable MIDI Clock values.  There are devices you can connect to a computer to stabilize the values being generated by a DAW.

Dario wrote:

For the rest, all the algorithms of the pedal are inside the H9 MAX, right? 

Yes.

Dario

Ok, then If I understand right, the Harpeggiator can be in sync both with the Midi Clock and/or the Global Tempo, But can we say that the Arp will be quantized to the Global Tempo or Midi clock? For instance, if I choose a sequence for the Harpeggiator,do it follow the global tempo or it will be indipendent from it?

Do the Looper will be Quantized to the Global Tempo system too?

You said : ” There are devices you can connect to a computer to stabilize the values being generated by a DAW” I will use Cubase as the main Master Midi Clock source, could you give me some examples of those devices?

About the Aux Switch, after I map it to the “Performance switch” option in the H9 Control, do it will correspond to the same original function found on the Factor’s Pedal algorithm? (For example, the Flex/Learn function of the Pitch Factor.) There will be a similar assignment  function for the EXP pedal?

Dario
      Hi gkellum, any idea?

Let me know

thanks

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi Dario,

Midi clock jitter from computers and DAWs is a very pervasive problem.  The source of the problem is that your computer doesn't prioritize the midi data very highly (like it does with the audio data) so the midi clock, which is supposed to transmit 24 pulses per quarter note at a very steady pace actually transmits 24 pulses per quarter note, but the timing is all over the place.  If you sync the H9 to Midi Clock we have some very good filtering available to extract a very accurate tempo BPM from even a very jittery midi clock, but in the process the location of the midi pulses is lost.  We could re-generate them, but we still wouldn't know exactly where they were supposed to be in the original recording.  The upshot is, if you need actual timing data from a crapppy source, and not just the average BPM value, you're hosed.

However, because this is a common problem a couple companies make little devices which transmit the midi clock on an audio channel, which your computer does treat as very high priority, and is therefore very accurate.  Here are a couple examples:

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/usamo.html

http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New%20ICS%20Sync-Gen%20II%20LE.html

Another option many people use is an external midi clock source.  I personally use a drum machine as the midi clock source and slave my DAW to that, along with the H9 and other midi gear.

Here's another thread on the topic:

http://archive.monome.org/community/discussion/9181/finally-found-a-solution-for-rock-solid-sync-between-two-live-setups/p1

Dan

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.