Aux switch, expression pedal and midi control on space and modfactor with musicom lab

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Aux switch, expression pedal and midi control on space and modfactor with musicom lab

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Skeith00
      Participant

Hi all,

I’ve got the eventide space and eventide modfactor (and a Whammy 5) and I recently bought a Musicom Lab MkIII+, and I’m using a digitech footswitch fs3x and as expression pedal the pigtronix dual expression by mission eng. (20kOhm, works well)

Thanks to the eventide’s youtube videos it should be easy to control the 2 eventides with only one (unless the space has got a special treatment, but I don’t think so), thus, for example, I can connect the expression and the aux footswitch to the Space and control parameters, tempo, preset up/down of both the Space and the Modfactor using the Midi out of the Space to the Midi in of the Modfactor.

My question is: Can I use, in addiction to these previous functions, the Musicom (or another midi controller) as : Musicom Midi Out- >Space midi through->Modfactor midi through->Digitech Whammy 5 midi in, to control the preset of all these pedals, while using the aux switch and the expression pedal solely for the 2 eventides? 

For example:

While I’m in the preset X of the Musicom I’d like to use the tap tempo and the bank+ on the fs3x , so I can control the reverb depth (on preset Y:Z) and the chorus speed (on preset Y:Z) (modfactor) with the aux and the expression, and set the whammy on +1oct…,while, in the same preset X of the musicom I press the bank plus on the fs3x to go to the channel Y:Z+1 on both the eventides. Then I go to the preset X+2 of the Musicom, where I’ve previously set the Eventides on channel Y+1:Z+1 and the whammy on -1Oct  etc…

Summarizing, I want to control the presets of the eventides and the whammy through the Musicom Lab MkIII+, and control some parameters of the eventides through one between the Space and the MF.. (i.e. use a slave as a master..hehe)

Thank you all,

Skeith.

Skeith00
      Participant

Ok, no response or any kind of support.

So, I’ve experimented a lot, and found a compromise. With an aux switch digitech fs3x set as: ch-/hotswitch/tap tempo, I  go into the Modfactor, which goes Midi Out to the Midi In of the Space, and I set these 3 switches with CC, and now I can control the parameters with the aux switch through the modfactor.

Then I tried using the Musicom Lab mk3 to control presets, and found that if I wanted to change preset on the Space (Musicom->MF->Space) I had to set the midi output of the MF on “through”. But then the aux switch wouldn’t have worked ….till I saw that there was the “Midi Merge” option..and I’ve tried activating it, and it worked. Now I can change preset with the midi switcher PC and control tempo and hotswitch and expression through the modfactor in CC.

Is there a way to set the aux/expression without CC (I want the hot switch in addiction to the tap tempo and the expression) so that I can use Midi Through and not midi merge?

but I didn’t find anything about the Merge option on the manual…it seems to work. What is this? Why no info about it?

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        Skeith00 wrote:

but I didn't find anything about the Merge option on the manual…it seems to work. What is this? Why no info about it?

Sorry – the software changes faster than we can print manuals. We strongly recommend that you always download the latest manual from the Web Site – this will cover this and other new features.

Note that MERGE should not be used with very heavy MIDI traffic, as it will slow the unit down.

Skeith00
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

Sorry – the software changes faster than we can print manuals. We strongly recommend that you always download the latest manual from the Web Site – this will cover this and other new features.

Note that MERGE should not be used with very heavy MIDI traffic, as it will slow the unit down.

To tell the truth I’ve read the italian online manual (today on the eventide site) and didn’t find anything about the merge option. I’ve just read the English version, and there was written something.

By the way, what do you mean by “heavy midi traffic”? How can I quantify it?

Now I’ll tell you exactly what I’m doing, so you can tell me if there’s another way or it is ok this way. At the moment it work great except for some 1-2 bpm error and less than half second of delay on preset sync, but no problem.

MIDI SWITCHER MUSICOM MK3 OUT ->  MF Midi In->PC 1->CH 1->MF Midi Merge->Space Midi In-> PC 2-> CH 2->Space Midi Through; PC 3->CH 3-> Midi In Whammy 5; 

Aux switch Tip/Ring/T+R to MF aux input  and Expression pedal on MF exp input; From MF i’m sending CC’s out on channel 2, where I’ve set the Space on CC’s receive on the same channel; this way I can use the aux connected to the MF for Bank+=Tip – Slow/fast= Ring – Taptempo = T+R (and the expression for parameters control ) to control Tap tempo and the Hotswitch (which corresponds to the Slow/fast switch) on the Space. 

This way I can control the bank of all the pedals with the Musicom as the Master and I can control all the useful parameters+tempo+hotswitch with the aux switch and the expression. I don’t want to control the parameters sending CC’s from the Musicom. 

Is this ok? Am I putting the Eventides in danger for overheat or something? Consider that I’d like to put a Timefactor in this midi chain in the future.

I think I can set a master tap tempo from the MF to the Space..maybe I’ll reduce the “midi traffic” but  is it worth?

Thanks,

Skeith

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Don't worry over much about the MIDI traffic – it won't hurt the unit. The worst that will happen is that the unit will take longer to respond to stuff.

The MIDI THRU setting is in effect handled by hardware, whereas the other modes are performed in software, so can cause the unit to slow down with heavy use. They won't affect the sound.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.