Basic H90 hook up question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Basic H90 hook up question

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      jburnard
      Participant

Hello,

I just got the H90 and was wondering what folks were doing for just a basic setup for guitar.  I have a pedalboard and wanted to get rid of my flange pedal and maybe even my reverb pedal and just use the H90, but here’s my question.  The time based effects should probably be in the effects loop and others (overdrive, etc) would be better in front of the amp.

Are people routing it that way (two inputs) or just running everything either in the loop or in front?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Congratulations on your new H90! The answer to your question depends on how clean you run your amp. If you do not rely on its preamp section for overdrive or distortion, then you can plug the pedalbalrd straight into the amp. However, any hint of break up, and I recommend what you suggested, to put your gain-based effects in the front and the time-based effects in the back. The easiest way to do that is to run the H90 in dual routing mode, which you can switch in the System Menu. Path 1 can be connected to the front of the amp and Path 2 to the effects loop. The QuickStart guide that came with the pedal has a diagram showing you how to do this.

jburnard
      Participant

Thanks so much for the fast reply!  My amp is a two channel amp, one being completely clean – the other high gain.  The only time I would run any of the gain based effects is on that clean channel for just a little break up sound.  So maybe that being the case I’d be ok just running into the the front?

Thanks again!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Do you ever plan to have delay and/or reverb when you’re playing with the high-gain side? If the answer is no, then straight to the front works fine.

jburnard
      Participant

Hmmmm actually I definitely would want access to those effects and more on the high gain side, just not the gain based stuff of course.

Wouldn’t they be available if running in the front?  Or because they are time based they really need to be in the loop?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I recommend delay and reverbs be placed in the loop.

jburnard
      Participant

Makes sense, dual mode it is. Thanks again.

MSLBend
      Participant

Truth is, some effects running in front of an overdriven preamp can sound good in the right context … filters, vibes, phasers, compression, flangers and others.  When you run delays and reverbs into the front of a dirty / overdriven preamp, the compression works almost the same as an extra “feedback” or “repeats” amplifying stage for the delay, meaning it amplifies the repeats, in some cases A LOT …

There may be situations where you want that, but if you prefer a more natural and easier to control decay to your reverb or delay, then definitely put those effects in the loop.

jburnard
      Participant

MSLBend, great info thank you.

MjCartney
      Participant

I’m running in Dual Mode, one path in front, the other path in the loop. I did this so I don’t have to chose either way, I can run both presets on either path in parallel or series, or put one on each. It hasn’t made me a superstar yet, but I’m still enjoying the flexibility. 🙂

jburnard
      Participant

MjCartney, yes for sure, talk about flexibility!  That’s what I’m going to do for sure.  And, here’s hoping for the superstar level for both of us 🙂

Thanks much!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.