Battery or Phantom Powered MIDI Controller

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Battery or Phantom Powered MIDI Controller

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      mustafaicil
      Participant

I sm using my Eventide H9 on my amp with the Aux Switch at the front of the stage. Since I cannot see the screen of H9, I want to switch to a portable MIDI Controller that can send PC# and CC# controls. There are great options such as Morningstarfx that works with phantom power but Eventide H9 is not providing phantom power.

Is there any workaround to get H9 to provide phantom power or any recommendations for a portable, fully functional, battery operated midi controller? There is Tech21 options out there but they just send PC#.

question

This:

http://www.daelectronics.com/

Has a standard MIDI OUT, and lipo battery along with other unusual things like proximity sensors (like… an invisible expression pedal).

Or

A small tablet on a note stand running H9 control maybe. Add something like a Blueboard if your hands are busy. Pros: display with native UI, no cables, Cons: anything related to having more hardware : )

Just an idea

mustafaicil
        Participant
        question wrote:

This:

http://www.daelectronics.com/

Has a standard MIDI OUT, and lipo battery along with other unusual things like proximity sensors (like… an invisible expression pedal).

Or

A small tablet on a note stand running H9 control maybe. Add something like a Blueboard if your hands are busy. Pros: display with native UI, no cables, Cons: anything related to having more hardware : )

Just an idea

I would prefer a non software solution.

question

[/quote] I would prefer a non software solution.[/quote]

I have no hands on experience with iCtrl-R, just considered to get one for myself some time ago, but from the description it has standard MIDI out, so you probably wouldn’t need an additional computing device for its on stage operation.

Nevertheless, “non software” is a kinda vague term, and if you mean no software involvement at all, even during the baseline device/preset programming as in pre-computer era where everything is adjusted on the device itself via buttons etc., then I may not be of help : )

Just out of curiosity, except you want to go completely wireless, why don’t you just grab a usual midi foot controller and draw its power supply cable along with the MIDI cable you already have to use? You could even attach it to the MIDI cable with some clips etc. for the sake of aesthetics.

mustafaicil
        Participant
        question wrote:

I would prefer a non software solution.[/quote]

I have no hands on experience with iCtrl-R, just considered to get one for myself some time ago, but from the description it has standard MIDI out, so you probably wouldn’t need an additional computing device for its on stage operation.

Nevertheless, “non software” is a kinda vague term, and if you mean no software involvement at all, even during the baseline device/preset programming as in pre-computer era where everything is adjusted on the device itself via buttons etc., then I may not be of help : )

Just out of curiosity, except you want to go completely wireless, why don’t you just grab a usual midi foot controller and draw its power supply cable along with the MIDI cable you already have to use? You could even attach it to the MIDI cable with some clips etc. for the sake of aesthetics.

[/quote]

With no software, I mean not involving the computer or iPad. In terms of functionality, Morningstarfx looks great. Also supports phantom power but unfortunately H9 does not provide phantom power.

question

Well,

I think  iCtrl-R fits “fully functional, battery operated midi controller” description well. You may want to check with the manufacturer though.

Or if you’re determined to stick with Morningstar MC6 then you may try one of those rechargeable battery packs to power the MC6 through its USB power input and see if that’s reliable enough for your application/setup.

Also, if you insist powering it through its MIDI jack then there’s this Phantom Power Insertion Cable

http://www.dmvelectronics.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4&idcategory=3

but there might be potential incompatibilities on the H9 end (like, whether H9’s relevant MIDI pins are not connected to anywhere internally etc.), so this also should be checked with the Eventide to be on the safe side : )

mustafaicil
        Participant

I checked it. Price is steep and not very straightforward. And I prefer to use something with use references with H9.

question wrote:

Well,

I think  iCtrl-R fits “fully functional, battery operated midi controller” description well. You may want to check with the manufacturer though.

Or if you’re determined to stick with Morningstar MC6 then you may try one of those rechargeable battery packs to power the MC6 through its USB power input and see if that’s reliable enough for your application/setup.

Also, if you insist powering it through its MIDI jack then there’s this Phantom Power Insertion Cable

http://www.dmvelectronics.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4&idcategory=3

but there might be potential incompatibilities on the H9 end (like, whether H9’s relevant MIDI pins are not connected to anywhere internally etc.), so this also should be checked with the Eventide to be on the safe side : )

question

Phantom power insertion cables are $20-30ish (there are various types around) and probably the cheapest and easiest way to power up the Morningstarfx the way you want (i.e. through its MIDI port). Again, it’s better to check with the respective manufacturers for compatibility.

Best of luck in your pursuit anyway : )

mustafaicil
        Participant

Thanks

question wrote:

Phantom power insertion cables are $20-30ish (there are various types around) and probably the cheapest and easiest way to power up the Morningstarfx the way you want (i.e. through its MIDI port). Again, it’s better to check with the respective manufacturers for compatibility.

mustafaicil
        Participant

Thanks

question wrote:

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.