Best Harmonizer Guitar Stompbox for Hotel California

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Best Harmonizer Guitar Stompbox for Hotel California

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Stevenhealth
      Participant

Yes, I know it’s an old tune.

But I am required to play it professionally, and it seems as though the H9 might be the way to go. However, does it really switch fast enough and/or other unknown issues. Would I need to use the new switch accessory with it to switch between the two pitch changes I need?

Any help appreciated. 

PS. There are some other posts about this tune on your forum, but they don’t seem completely answered, and no-one has addressed the H9 for this purpose. 

Thank you in advance for any assistance in this matter. If this will work, I will buy it. I just need clarification that it will do the job. 

stv

Bodde
      Participant

I think it will be hard to that part with a harmonizer. I am sure you can do it but it is complicated because the inntervals are not always thirds. You will need to programm some custom scales. For example the first three notes of that part contains two thirds and then a fourth. I don’t think that can be done on the H9. At least not in an easy way.

Some discussion about this here. Read post 8: http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/3001/okintelligent-pitch-shifter-and-hotel-california/

brock
      Participant

MIDI control over KEY & SCALE (my preference) is the most versatile way  If you have enough switches (that can send a MIDI CC value, or toggle between two static values), you can dynamically change intervals within each harmony voice.  Here’s the overall process:  https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/7167#comment-7167  … But MIDI isn’t for everyone.  You can cover much of the same ground with 2 or 3 Aux switches.  (An expression pedal will also work, but it doesn’t ‘snap’ between two discrete values – see [F]actory presets).

For example, in the Diatonic algo through H9 Control, you’d want to Set Parameter 3 and Set Parameter 4 both to the same Aux switch.  Define a range of about ’60’ for a 3rd, and ’62’ for a 4th.  Step on the switch (latching or momentary), and the harmony intervals shift.  A similar method uses ‘Set expression pedal (aka HotKnob value)’ in H9 Control, to create a ‘HotSwitch’-style mapping.  The advantages here are easier range mappings, and saved pre-preset, (unlike the global Aux switch settings).

I haven’t run through the theory in the link above, but let’s assume it’s correct.  Dial in the Heel value of the expression pedal to B min (Aeolian).  The Toe value goes to B Hmin (or F# PHRG).  Map an Aux switch to the expression pedal action.  Momentary or latching, that 2nd Aux switch now toggles between two preset keys & modes. With a third Aux switch, you can bring up B MAJ (Ionian), E MLYD , or B DOR, …

Stevenhealth
      Participant

Thank you guys for answering. It surely is a daunting task. It almost would seem easier to literally struggle learning both harmonies; played simultaneously. I knew it would be bad. I’ll have to think about this. I would even wonder if there is a bulk of it that would be easy with a harmonizer, and then cheat the rest. Too bad they don’t have a ‘Hotel’ patch…

Bodde
        Participant
        Stevenhealth wrote:

Thank you guys for answering. It surely is a daunting task.

Yes it seems to much hassle to go through all this trouble just for that solo. It’s too complicated to do with a harmonizer. Why not get a second guitar player? Don’t you have a keyboard player in the band who can play the second part? Or you can only play the lower line and don’t play the harmonies.

Stevenhealth
      Participant

What if I use the app…would the H9 handle the changes via Bluetooth smooth enough? If someone actual handled the app perfectly, does the H9 handle the key changes instantly and quietly enough to go back and forth as the passages flow without noise?

stv

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.