Blackhole renamed in Logic 10.8?

Home Forums Products Plug-Ins Blackhole renamed in Logic 10.8?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      kwporter
      Participant

I just updated to Logic 10.8 and for whatever reason my sessions that have Blackhole now won’t load Blackhole anymore. I get a plugin not available error. This said, when I go into the Eventide menu, the Blackhole audio effect now lists as Blackhole (No Midi) and I can select it and it instantiates correctly. I am pretty sure this used to be just Blackhole for the audio effect and Blackhole (Midi) for the MIDI controlled effect.

Not sure if this issue is due to Logic 10.8 or a recent Eventide update, but my sessions won’t load Blackhole anymore.

Thanks,

Ken

loganstahley
      Participant

I have the same issue. All my old sessions won’t load blackhole anymore. Really confused why this changed from just updating Logic. I had no issues until updating Logic.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 2.56.16 PM

stockdalemark1978
      Participant

I’m also having the same issue. I was on Logic 10.7.9 and Blackhole was working fine. I updated to Logic 10.8 and now it can’t find it. I even tried reinstalling Blackhole after and it still didn’t fix it.

nulldevice
      Participant

Same deal.  I checked the Plugin Manager and both Blackhole and Blackhole (No MIDI) are properly validated.  It looks like regular Blackhole only shows up now as a MIDI Controlled Effect in an instrument slot.

Maybe that was always supposed to be how it worked, but I’m pretty sure most of us saw “Blackhole” and just selected “Blackhole” whenever we needed that particular reverb.

Certainly gonna screw up a whole buncha my sessions if I have to convert everything over to the “No MIDI” version and lose all my custom settings.

yaosichen
      Participant

+1

MikeShapiro
      Participant

Same problem here. I dropped back to Logic 10.7.9 just so I could avoid this. (I hope you feel flattered, Eventide.)

loganstahley
      Participant

While downloading new stock library sounds, I did notice an interesting message. “Blackhole – Do not have access rights”

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 10.35.41 AM

timon-vr
      Participant

Same issue here!

Hope this can be fixed soon as I’m unable to finish my project now 🙁

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

We are aware of the issue and investigating. “Blackhole” should show up in the normal inserts menu, not just as a MIDI Controlled Effect in an instrument slot. We will report back as we have new findings.

MikeShapiro
      Participant

Great to hear that you’re on it!

stockdalemark1978
      Participant

I’m also having this issue with Guitar Rig 6, just fyi, so it appears to be affecting other manufacturers as well.

stockdalemark1978
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I’m also having this issue with Guitar Rig 6, just fyi, so it appears to be affecting other manufacturers as well.</p>

muri
      Participant

Same here. AU Lab loads it so it seems to be a Logic issue as it also claims to validate it – just doesn’t show it.

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

It does seem that Logic 10.8 changed some internal behavior which broke plug-ins from multiple manufacturers. It seemingly affects plugins with both a standard and MIDI-enabled version.

As a workaround, the following steps seem to enable “Blackhole” to show up in insert slots, but of course only work if you are not using “Blackhole (No MIDI)” in your sessions:

1. Close Logic Pro
      2. Navigate to Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/, and move Blackhole No MIDI.component to your Desktop.
      3. [Edit 11/8/2023] Restart your computer
      4. Open Logic Pro
      5. “Blackhole” should be available in the insert menus

We will continue to update this thread as we have more information.

Zodiac
        Participant

That workaround also worked for me too. Make sure you restart your computer. I didn’t at first and didn’t work. Once restarted Blackhole loads fine on older projects.

kevin627
        Participant

Thank you! You just saved me from having to re-do a ton of automation work before sending a track off for mastering.

timon-vr
      Participant

Mhh for me this workaround is not working. I moved (not copied) the Blackhole no MIDI.component to the desktop, but (after restarting Logic) the same error appears..

Is it working for others?

Ogi108
        Participant

This worked for me, just bare in mind you need to log out and back to work properly. Mangledverb and Quadravox work fine, no need of anything.

It does seem that Logic 10.8 changed some internal behavior which broke plug-ins from multiple manufacturers. It seemingly affects plugins with both a standard and MIDI-enabled version. As a workaround, the following steps seem to enable “Blackhole” to show up in insert slots, but of course only work if you are not using “Blackhole (No MIDI)” in your sessions:

1. Close Logic Pro
        2. Navigate to Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/, and move Blackhole No MIDI.component to your Desktop.
        3. Open Logic Pro
        4. “Blackhole” should be available in the insert menus.

We will continue to update this thread as we have more information.

PaoloF
      Participant

It doesn’t work for me either.
      I also tried moving the same .component file contained in

Mac HD/Users/[username]/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

but the problem still remains.

kwporter
      Participant

Worked for me. Make sure to press command while dragging the No Modi version out of the Components folder. If you don’t press command while dragging, it may simply copy the plugin to the desktop, but not move it out. Try that and see if it works for those who said it doesn’t work. Worth a try.

Thanks,

Ken

PaoloF
      Participant

This worked for me, just bare in mind you need to log out and back to work properly. Mangledverb and Quadravox work fine, no need of anything.

I followed the advice: after moving both files I restarted the computer and now the plugin works.

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

Yes, you need to be sure Blackhole No MIDI.component is moved from Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ to the Desktop, rather than copied.

Restarting your computer might also be required, to get Logic to refresh its plugin caches.

deeastudioct
        Participant

Okay, this worked for me. I’m wondering if this is the final solution until the next Logic update (with a file.component on my desktop :-). Thank you so much.

P.S. Both Blackhole plugins worked on my Logic 10.7.9. The issue came up when I updated to Logic 10.8.

stockdalemark1978
      Participant

It worked for me as well, after a restart.

alchemia
      Participant

I am also experiencing this problem. An additional detail that I don’t think anyone has mentioned previously:

In the Plug-In Manager, both “Blackhole” and “Blackhole (No MIDI)” appear. Both show as successfully validated, and both have the box checked in the “Use” column.

I strongly suspect that this will turn out to be a bug in Logic Pro 10.8 when the name of 1 plugin is identical to the name of another up to the length of the shorter of the 2 names.

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

Okay, this worked for me. I’m wondering if this is the final solution until the next Logic update (with a file.component on my desktop :-). Thank you so much. P.S. Both Blackhole plugins worked on my Logic 10.7.9. The issue came up when I updated to Logic 10.8.

This appears to be a bug in Logic 10.8. Both plugins have worked side-by-side (without issue) since Logic 9. We have submitted a bug report to Apple, and are in touch with our contacts there. Hopefully they can resolve the issue quickly.

You could move the Blackhole No MIDI.component file to the Trash, if you don’t want it cluttering your desktop. Once the issue is fixed, you could uninstall / resintall the plugin, and it will reinstall the necessary components.

We’ll keep this thread updated as we have more information.

deeastudioct
      Participant

Okay, this worked for me. I’m wondering if this is the final solution until the next Logic update (with a file.component on my desktop :-). Thank you so much. P.S. Both Blackhole plugins worked on my Logic 10.7.9. The issue came up when I updated to Logic 10.8.

This appears to be a bug in Logic 10.8. Both plugins have worked side-by-side (without issue) since Logic 9. We have submitted a bug report to Apple, and are in touch with our contacts there. Hopefully they can resolve the issue quickly. You could move the Blackhole No MIDI.component file to the Trash, if you don’t want it cluttering your desktop. Once the issue is fixed, you could uninstall / resintall the plugin, and it will reinstall the necessary components. We’ll keep this thread updated as we have more information.

Thanks so much!

thirdspacemusic
      Participant

Just jumping on this thread with a message for the devs – in case there’s an update to Blackhole required as part of this issue could you also fix the Freeze (doesn’t freeze) issue reported elsewhere – that would be awesome thanks 🙂

bcahill22
      Participant

Was just about to bring this up and glad to see this was resolved as I have project due.  I only had to restart logic, not my computer, but prob best to restart computer anyway.  Thank you all! Life savers…B

paulyminogue
      Participant

Thanks for this!

cljfford
      Participant

I’m glad I found this thread after two days of banging my head against the wall with this issue. Thanks.

But I experienced something strange that may be a problem for others, if it wasn’t a bug on my system. Following steps in another thread to recover missing plugins, I re-installed the H9 Bundle 1.0.10 osx-installer. Checking HD/Library?Audio/Plug-Ins/… all H9 plugins were present (Component and VST3, in my case) except for Blackhole standard and No MIDI versions. I downloaded the installer twice and reinstalled three times so could there be an issue with this version of the installer, itself?

tlongabaugh
        Eventide Staff

Hi, we’re not able to reproduce the H9 Bundle issue you mention here. Does uninstalling (the installer can be found at Mac HD/Applications/Eventide/Uninstallers) and reinstalling cause the Blackhole plugins to show up on your drive? If not, please email support@eventide.com and we can assist you further

cljfford
        Participant

Thank you for the follow up.

Something probably went haywire when I installed multiple times, on my system, and deleted preferences in Library, etc. as instructed on other pages. I didn’t know about the Uninstallers! I’ll have to keep them in mind for the next time.

I worked around it by installing the Blackhole solo app. So far so good.

muri
      Participant

Logic pro 10.8.1 is out with a fix.

stockdalemark1978
      Participant

I updated to Logic 10.8.1, then reinstalled Blackhole. Now I’m only seeing this version

Untitled

Even though both plugins are installed:

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 2.25.48 PM

I’ve completely rebooted my Mac after the install as well and it hasn’t helped.

Zodiac
        Participant

Same here…Apparently it isn’t fixed.

jthompson
      Participant

Same problem.

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

What we’ve found in our Logic 10.8.1 testing is that sessions saved with Blackhole will reload correctly, but only Blackhole (No MIDI) is available in the insert menus.

We will need to reach out to Apple and find out if this “partial” fix was intentional.

kevink999
      Participant

I was just trouble shooting this problem for a few days, reading this thread and trying out the advice to no avail. I updated to the latest version of Logic the other day and still no luck. THEN I saw this error message more clearly! It said the component “Blackhole (” is not available! Not “Blackhole No Midi” or “Blackhole (No Midi)”. SO! I tried to rename the Blackhole No midi Component that I had moved out of the folder to the desktop to “Blackhole (“, put it back in that folder from where it came and lo and behold!!! IT WORKED!!! Old session now opens with the plugin!!! Not sure if I have an isolated case here, but figured it could definitely help someone out!!

(:

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.