Blackhole Stereo-in mono-out

Home Forums Products Plug-Ins Blackhole Stereo-in mono-out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      HaloSound

I’ve been experimenting with the blackhole reverb and have not been able to get it into a mode I need it to work in. The manual says it can be used as mono-in mono-out, mono-in stereo-out, or stereo-in stereo-out but it doesn’t mention how to switch between these modes (assuming they can be changed). I’ve been trying to pan things within my reverb but have not been able to because the output of the reverb seems to be a pseudo-stereo that keeps all of the elements centered no matter how they are panned.

Is there a way to get around this?

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

The channel configurations of the plugin will depend on the track you use it on, and what DAW you are using.

Some DAWs use stereo-in stereo-out only. Other DAWs let you select the format, based on if you are adding it to a mono or stereo track. It may also depend on how you have your bussing set up.

What DAW are you using?

HaloSound

I’m using REAPER 5.0. I ususally put my reverb on it’s own stereo track and buss all the tracks I want reverb on to that track. Those tracks are a combination of both mono and stereo. Turning off the reverb on the buss shows that the tracks are panning but the panning doesn’t affect the reverb other than to make the signal quieter.

pmcculloch
      Eventide Staff

REAPER only runs its plugins in stereo-in stereo-out configuration.  Like many algorithmic reverbs, BlackHole does not keep the channels in the stereo path completely separate.  Generally, this is a desirable thing because in a reverberant space, reflections aren't isolated left and right.  

For your specific use case, since you want to get discrete left and right reverb signals, I would recommend running two instances and changing the I/O pins so that the first instance has input and output on channel 1 only, and the second instance has input and output on channel 2 only.  Screenshots below.

For the right channel plugin's configuration you could alternatively send 2 to Input L and Output L to 2, though I prefer the configuration below. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.