Bluetooth auto-connect?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Bluetooth auto-connect?

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      silver_mica
      Participant

Does anybody know if it’s possibe for an iPad to automatically connect to the H9 bluetooth signal?   Ideally, it’d be great if whenever I power on my H9s (I have two) the bluetooth connections automatically connect to my iPad (rather than manually connecting the iPad bluetooth using the Settings menu).  

David

jeffo

I have the same issue. Why doesn’t it automatically connect? If am at a gig and the power goes out, when it comes back I have to start all over. (has happened !!)

Other devices connect regularly, what’s up with Eventide?

I would love to hear a solution.

murmichel
      Participant

I’d like to register a me too.

Is there a bug tracker or something like it to report this issue?

jpallot
      Participant

Me three!

kingston
      Participant

Me four

bohan
      Eventide Staff

For a device that involves live performance, it's just dangerous to do so.

The Bluetooth connection might interfere the sound. What if you are playing an important show and it automatically connects to a device (might be yours, might be your friend's), but you are trying to connect it to your iPad but you just can't and don't know why? That's much more awkward than the case described above…  

camn
      Participant

Waaaaait a minunte are you saying this was a planned feature?

I heard it was an IOS limitation. 

If it truly was a planned feature- you guys gotta give us an “auto-connect to paired devices” setting or something.  It is the single most annoying thing about the iOS experience. 

Tomtama
        Participant
        camn wrote:

I heard it was an IOS limitation. 

If it truly was a planned feature- you guys gotta give us an “auto-connect to paired devices” setting or something.  It is the single most annoying thing about the iOS experience. 

I agree with this post. I’d like to have the choice to auto connect or not. I don’t understand the logic in Eventide’s response. Connecting doesn’t cause any changes to the H9.

gkellum
        Participant
        Tomtama wrote:

I agree with this post. I'd like to have the choice to auto connect or not. I don't understand the logic in Eventide's response. Connecting doesn't cause any changes to the H9.

Bohan's post was a bit unclear.  Here's the deal with auto connecting. 

There is no way to initiate an auto connection from an iOS device to an H9.  The H9 is using Bluetooth 2.1 which works through Apple's external accessory framework, and that doesn't give apps a way to connect to a device.  On Android apps can initiate connections to Bluetooth 2 devices, and we do auto connect on Android.  If the H9 were using Bluetooth LE, there would be a way to autoconnect from the app on iOS as well, but that's a different kind of Bluetooth chip.

It would be possible to try to auto connect from the H9 to the last paired device and we experimented with this as a feature for a while, but this is a much less attractive option that having the app auto connect to the device.  The problem with this is that sometimes an H9 would latch on to one device and you couldn't get it to let go of that device.  And if you tried to connect to it with another device, you couldn't.  So, you'd try to connect to your H9 with your iPad for example, but you couldn't because unbeknownst to you it had auto connected to your iPhone.  This lead to a fair amount of user confusion where users thought the Bluetooth on their H9 was broken.

jmargulies
        Participant

[/quote]

It would be possible to try to auto connect from the H9 to the last paired device and we experimented with this as a feature for a while, but this is a much less attractive option that having the app auto connect to the device.  The problem with this is that sometimes an H9 would latch on to one device and you couldn’t get it to let go of that device. 

[/quote]

If I’m understanding correctly, this is the same behavior as my Bose SoundLink Mini speaker. You turn it on and it takes about one second for it to pair with the device it was last paired with. If I need to pair it with a different device, I need to un-pair it from that device (I usually just turn off bluetooth) and then pair it to the device I want to use it with. 

I understand that this may cause some confusion, but from where I stand it would be so much better to have this as an option. 99% of the time, I’m connecting to the iPad in my studio, and I feel strongly that the need to connect manually is the number one weakness in the H9 experience. I have two H9s – press connect, wait a few seconds, press “Ignore” when prompted to let the H9 app to connect, press connect for the second H9, wait a few seconds, then press “Allow” when prompted by the app. It’s a clunker.  

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        camn wrote:

It was not a planned feature. I'm sorry for causing misunderstanding.

In Android, when you open H9 Control, it will automatically connect to H9 if you connected to it before (it won't automatically connect is if H9 Control is not on). However, for iOS, we will let you guys know when there is a possibility to do so.

Tomtama
      Participant

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It’s a shame the hardware wasn’t designed differently. 

camn
      Participant

Well, this thread inspired me. I just traded the old iPad for a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2.

I don’t like iOS anyway!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.