Brand new H9: Rotary knob, buttons, and footswitches stopped working

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Brand new H9: Rotary knob, buttons, and footswitches stopped working

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      ivaylo
      Participant

I just got a new H9 Core to complement my MAX today. Shortly after I registered it, I tried to turn TAP mode on by pressing the right footswitch for a few seconds, and voila, all physical buttons stopped working. I reinstalled the software but that didn’t work. I then downgraded to the previous vesrion but that didn’t work either. Any suggestions?

It’s functioning normally via H9 Control.

I need a fully working pedal for an important gig next week. 

Here’s a video demo of the problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0pgct05mfg538r/IMG_2016.MOV?dl=0

gkellum
      Participant

Unfortunately, it sounds like that unit might have a hardware problem.  You could always send it in to us to take a look at by emailing support@eventide.com, but it might be quicker for you to return it to the dealer you got it from and get a replacement unit from them.

ivaylo
      Participant

That’s not good. I’m in Bulgaria and purchased from Israel. I don’t see how I would be able to get a new one in time.

I contacted support. They suggested reset, etc., things that I had already done, and returning the item if that didn’t work. I wonder what triggered the problem because the buttons worked before I tried to switch to tap mode. I thought that it was a software issue but apparently it’s poor quality control.

I’m really angry about this. 

gkellum
      Participant

Well, I spoke to one of our hardware engineers about your problem, and unfortunately, it's not clear what the problem could be without actually seeing your H9.  The problem that you're describing is not one that we can remember coming up before in that past.  The H9 has two boards internally that are connected with a ribbon cable.  It's possible that the ribbon cable isn't seated well, and opening it up and pressing on the ribbon cable connections might fix the problem.  But that's just a guess at what the problem might be.

If it's essential to get this working for your upcoming gig, have you tried whether the aux switch jack or MIDI are working?  Maybe, you could use a 3 button aux switch or MIDI to control the H9 instead?  Or since you can use H9 Control with it, could you control it with an iOS device instead?

ivaylo
        Participant

I hear you but that still doesn’t solve my problem. I will have a look at the ribbon cable tomorrow morning.

I don’t have an aux switch. MIDI would have been my favourite option but I already have an H9 that I control via MIDI. Unfortunately, my looper/switcher can only send PC messages to two devices and I use that to change channels on my Marshall JVM as well. I am the band’s lead singer too so operating an iOS device will be too much on my plate. I wish I’d learned to use my third foot but I haven’t tried it on a touch screen device yet. And I want to use tap tempo. 

It’s late. Morning is wiser. I hope someone at Eventide can help too.

gkellum
        Participant
        ivaylo wrote:

MIDI would have been my favourite option but I already have an H9 that I control via MIDI. Unfortunately, my looper/switcher can only send PC messages to two devices.

You can send the MIDI going to your first H9 thru to your second H9 as well.  If you don't want the 2nd H9 to do anything in a particular song, you can just save the preset associated with that program change as bypassed, and it will be loaded by the program change message as bypassed.  You'd just need to rearrange the preset list of the second H9 so that it's bringing up what you need when a particular program change is received.  It also has a program change receive map though too.  So, you can control which preset number is loaded when a particular program change is received.  Hopefully, MIDI is working on the 2nd H9…

ivaylo
      Participant

Thank you, gkellum, for the advice. I thought about having both devices on the same channel and rearranging the presets to the desired combinations but I never tried it. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.