Bugs with Advanced Looper Use in 5.2 – and some suggestions?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Bugs with Advanced Looper Use in 5.2 – and some suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      mabnotes
      Participant

Hi – First time poster, but longtime user. Thought I’d bring these to the forum’s attention, though I’ve already sent it into Eventide via email too. Looking for solutions, or commiseration… Has anyone else experienced these? Or thought about some suggestions for the near future here? TIA…

_______

I love the Looper that has been updated on the TimeFactor. It answers many things I’ve been looking for in a -modern-still-available- product. I have found a major bug though that I hope you can correct soon:

In Looper mode, when using a 3 button AUX switch (The digitech 3FSX) and programming one of the buttons on the AUX switch to replicate the functions of the Rec/Dub switch, then setting the dub mode knob to either of the “Punch”/momentary dub behaviors (D:PUNCH & D:REPL-P) the unit only registers the initial touch of the footswitch. A very short pule is sent to the unit as a dub/replace function, but it does NOT continue dubbing while I hold the footswitch down as it does when I use the switch on the TimeFactor until for the same procedure. This is problematic for me, and I think clearly not how it is intended to work. The dub/replace command should be sent to the TimeFactor for as long as I hold down the footswitch, until I release it in those 2 modes.

That is the major one I’ve found that needs to be addressed most, but also:

– Once in a while, not often, 1/25 times, when I have just erased a loop and I go to start recording a new loop, the unit just shows record stuck in a cycle of a few milliseconds. The solution has been to stop, erase and start a new recording and it has been fine. But an a annoying hiccup nonetheless.

– The manuals state that the Looper does not work in BANK mode, but I have found that it actually does. Not all the commands are accessible of course, but it does work. This is only problem,magic if you forget that you are in BANK mode while you start recording… perhaps the Looper was intended to not function at all in BANK mode?

– Sometimes the Octave function on the AUX switch is momentary for a split second (like the dub/repl momentary issue outlined above). It seems to correct itself though after a few pushes of the switch when this does happen.

– Sometimes in octave mode, if I start it set to lower octave, but turn the speed/pitch knob all the way up to 200, then click the octave switch, the display shows 400 but he sound does not go up another octave. I understand the sound is only supposed to go up to 200, but I got excited when I thought I discovered, yet another octave higher. It says 400 in this instance, but the pitch does not actually change. Would be great to have another octave available if possible?

– If I have tap tempo assigned to a button on the AUX switch that is also assigned to a Looper function (like Octave) then the tap tempo speed is displayed on the TimeFactor display while using the Octave feature in Looper mode, even though it has no bearing on the actual speed/pitch of the loop. Should this be the case?

_______

And lastly – a few suggestions:

– I would love it if CATCHUP mode could be an option to turn on or off for Looper mode. You have an option in the menu to turn it on or off globally for all delay types, but not optionally for the Looper. I understand why you have done this, for the vast majority of users will want to keep their simple loops in time and pitch, etc. But, there is a faction of us out here trying to push the boundaries of what is possible in improvised music, and other mainstream genres, with looping. Having a separate menu option to disable CATCHUP in Looper mode would allow quicker access to the grainy sounds and loop windowing separation available in the loop beginning and length knobs, faster access to the speed/pitch behavior settings, and most importantly, starting the loop recording at any of the time/speed/pitch settings. We’d still be able to keep track of the octave setting by simple math (if loop is recorded at 132, the octave down is 66, etc…).

– In Playback Mode AP:RVDIR, when the play button acts as a signal to reverse the loop and vice versa, I would like to see the behavior of the pitch/speed knob to get rid of the current left side where it acts as reverse. If you already have the ability to reverse the direction in this mode by clicking the PLAY switch, it seems redundant to also have it available on the left side of the speed/pitch dial. I propose instead having the speed/pitch dial, in this mode only, be used completely for speed of 0-200 with pause being all the way at the left of the dial and 200 all the way at the right. Reason being that one would have a much wider range of motion to dial in the specific speed/pitch when in SMOOTH mode throughout the full range of the dial rather than just half.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I think that most of your problems arise from using the 3rd button of the AUX switch for the more sensitive functions.

What happens is that the unit reads switch A and then reads switch B, and if they are both down, views it as switch C. If you hit the switch between the point where it reads A and reads B, it will view it first as switch B, and then, when it reads the switches again, will realize its mistake and call it C. This means that from time to time, when you hit C, you will instead get B.

There's no real way round this – we could delay the readings until we have a more stable result, but this might slow down operation unacceptably. That said, this is not usually a problem, so it is possible that I have it wrong. You could try reassigning the switches and see if it makes a difference.

Further, if you assign a switch to 2 functions, you will get the 2 functions you ask for. The unit is not going to try and decide whether you want (in this case) TAP or OCTAVE, both of which may be appropriate in LOOPER mode,

If you need this extensive use of foot switches, you might want to consider a MIDI approach – this would be a way to get around the limitations of the AUX switch.

mabnotes
      Participant

Thanks for the reply Nick… BUT – the main issue I have that seems like an error (the PUNCH functions not working properly when I hold down the AUX switch) is not assigned to the Tip/Ring 3rd switch. It is actually assigned to the 1st switch (Tip).

I did try that function on the other switches of the AUX switch, and it continues to exhibit the same behavior. Can you replicate this over there, or do you get the AUX switch to hold the PUNCH function properly?

Please let me know and thanks – would really like to have this issue settled…!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.