Bypassing expression pedals via Midi CC.

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Bypassing expression pedals via Midi CC.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #115746
      K-1000
      Participant

      Is there a way to bypass an expression pedal via Midi CC?

      I own 3 Eventide stomp boxes: Mod Factor, Space and Time Factor and 2 expression pedals (one of them having 2 outputs non-switchable— it means if I have both outputs connected to 2 stomp boxes it will control them simultaneously which is pretty cool but not what I’m looking for)

      I would like to be able to switch this dual-expression pedal between A and B using the assignable Midi CC from the loop switcher Boss ES8.

      For example, I connect one output of the dual-expression pedal to the Space (A) and its other output to the Time Factor (B).
      I would like to have both stomp boxes active and be able to control sometimes the Space with the expression pedal (A) and sometimes the Time Factor (B).

      So I was thinking that bypassing the expression pedal on A or B via Midi Cc and then assign those to 2 switches from my switcher would do the trick….
      I really hope it’s possible since I wouldn’t like to load my pedal board with a third expression pedal.

      Thanks a lot to you all!!!

    • #154000
      brock
      Participant

      I’ve given this some thought, but haven’t tested the MIDI part.  I don’t think you can pull this off on the H9 configuration side.  Mainly because no matter what happens before it, the expression pedal will override the current values (to both pedals) when you sweep it.

      Just a thought:  Can you plug both outputs of the dual-EXP into the ES-8, instead of direct in?  Then assign them to two different stompboxes over MIDI, or the control outs?  Differentiate with MIDI Channels, or similar, and keep the switching between them all inside the ES-8?

    • #154019
      birthofahero
      Member

      I have a very similar situation with controlling expression on an H9 using an ES8. 

       

      My particular issue is having one expression pedal (Dunlop Volume mini) that I want to use as a Volume pedal and expression pedal and switch between the two with a button press on the ES8. 

      I know I can turn the volume via exp on/off per preset, but im trying to avoid creating two patches to switch between that mode. Although when you have 99 presets, its certainly not an issue to do so.

    • #154030
      bohan
      Moderator
      Eventide Staff
      birthofahero wrote:

      I have a very similar situation with controlling expression on an H9 using an ES8. 

      My particular issue is having one expression pedal (Dunlop Volume mini) that I want to use as a Volume pedal and expression pedal and switch between the two with a button press on the ES8. 

      I know I can turn the volume via exp on/off per preset, but im trying to avoid creating two patches to switch between that mode. Although when you have 99 presets, its certainly not an issue to do so.

      I guess you may connect your expression pedal to your ES8, and have ES8 send two different MIDI CC messages, and map these 2 MICI CC messages to the expression and output volume functions on your H9. Then you can decide which MIDI message you want to send to your H9 by setting up your ES8 correctly and pressing a switch on it.

    • #154039
      birthofahero
      Member
      bohan wrote:
      birthofahero wrote:

      I have a very similar situation with controlling expression on an H9 using an ES8. 

      My particular issue is having one expression pedal (Dunlop Volume mini) that I want to use as a Volume pedal and expression pedal and switch between the two with a button press on the ES8. 

      I know I can turn the volume via exp on/off per preset, but im trying to avoid creating two patches to switch between that mode. Although when you have 99 presets, its certainly not an issue to do so.

      I guess you may connect your expression pedal to your ES8, and have ES8 send two different MIDI CC messages, and map these 2 MICI CC messages to the expression and output volume functions on your H9. Then you can decide which MIDI message you want to send to your H9 by setting up your ES8 correctly and pressing a switch on it.

      Show More...

      Thats how I thought it would work but I can’t find any way to turn on/off the expression input/output on the h9 and there doesn’t seem to be a midi CC# that activates/deactivates that setting on the h9.

      Show Less...
    • #154042
      bohan
      Moderator
      Eventide Staff
      birthofahero wrote:
      Thats how I thought it would work but I can't find any way to turn on/off the expression input/output on the h9 and there doesn't seem to be a midi CC# that activates/deactivates that setting on the h9.

      No, you don't activate/deactivate that setting on the H9. You do that on your ES8 by changing the MIDI CC yout ES8 sends out. For example, you can map MIDI CC 1 to the expression pedal, and MIDI CC 2 to the output volume on H9 (or in H9 Control. See attached image). Then you switch the MIDI CC messages by pressing a footswitch on your ES8.

    • #154063
      birthofahero
      Member
      bohan wrote:
      birthofahero wrote:
      Thats how I thought it would work but I can't find any way to turn on/off the expression input/output on the h9 and there doesn't seem to be a midi CC# that activates/deactivates that setting on the h9.

      No, you don't activate/deactivate that setting on the H9. You do that on your ES8 by changing the MIDI CC yout ES8 sends out. For example, you can map MIDI CC 1 to the expression pedal, and MIDI CC 2 to the output volume on H9 (or in H9 Control. See attached image). Then you switch the MIDI CC messages by pressing a footswitch on your ES8.

      Oh ok thanks! That helps a lot. I just assumed the “assign expression value aka hot knob” was just for toggling between the default preset and the hot knob value.

      I’ve been messing with using expression to control input volume and I get a pretty noticable digital step/sweep sound and it’s not the most smooth volume control ever. Is there anything I can tweak to make the digital stepping noise go away?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.