Can H9 be controlled via MIDI (cable connections) while the Control App is in use?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Can H9 be controlled via MIDI (cable connections) while the Control App is in use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The H9 was not designed to use BT and MIDI at the same time, but as long as you can tolerate a few hiccups, it should be workable.

You probably know that you cannot use MIDI and USB simultaneously.

Bull Earwig

Is it possible to control selection of H9 presets with MIDI (using the program change map), and at the same time, use the H9 Control app to monitor, override and tweak things?

Bull Earwig

Before I purchased an H9 Max, I downloaded and ran the app on my iPad and read the manual.  I was already using a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 36 with iPad  control app (WiFi), which works smoothly with MIDI control.  Program changes on the foot controller appear in the app and vice versa.

A major factor in my descision to purchase an H9 Max was that the app looked so good.  I could only justify spending $700 if I could have the same kind of experience I was having with the H&K GM36.  Being able to wirelessly tweak presets on an iPad on your mic stand conveniently in real time is worth a lot.

What kind of hiccups should I expect?  Are there any plans to make things work smoothly?  All I need is for the H9 to select presets based on its program change map.

gkellum
        Participant
        Bull Earwig wrote:

What kind of hiccups should I expect?  Are there any plans to make things work smoothly?  All I need is for the H9 to select presets based on its program change map.

Well, with what you're describing, I'd be surprised if you ran into any problems at all.  People have run into problems if they send the H9 a lot of MIDI data while simultaneously trying to use the app.  By a lot of MIDI data, I mean sending the H9 MIDI clock for example, b/c MIDI clock sends a device 24 ticks for every single beat, which can mean upwards of 50 messages a second.  

Bull Earwig

OK, sounds like good news.  What I understand you to say is effectively: go ahead and hook up MIDI with MIDI cables and use the control app.  If all you are doing is just program changes with another MIDI controller and a tweak now and then on the control app, things should work.  It’s a bandwidth limitation, just don’t do any giant data transfers in the middle of a song. 

Do I understand that correctly?

So does that mean program changes made with my 3rd party midi controller will be reflected in the H9 Control app?  I.e., it will show what preset is selected?  I don’t need it to go in the other direction; I just need the H9 to be a slave device that responds to MIDI program changes with its MIDI change map.

gkellum
        Participant
        Bull Earwig wrote:

Do I understand that correctly?

Yes, what you've said is correct.

Bull Earwig wrote:

So does that mean program changes made with my 3rd party midi controller will be reflected in the H9 Control app?  I.e., it will show what preset is selected?  I don't need it to go in the other direction; I just need the H9 to be a slave device that responds to MIDI program changes with its MIDI change map.

Yes, if you have the presets screen open in H9 Control for example, the preset being shown will change as the preset on the H9 change.

camn
      Participant

Just +1, I use a midi controller, and all the changes are reflected in my iPod smoothly. It’s no problem.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.