Can H9 control a GR33

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Can H9 control a GR33

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      hsilinski

I am fairly new to Midi, and am trying to use the H9 as a controller to trigger notes on various banks (Piano, Sitar, Fretless Bs, etc) of the Roland GR33 instead of using the GR33 midi pickup. Can the H9 be used in such a way, and if so, how should the H9 midi setup be configured to trigger the Gr33? 

The config i am trying to use =  electric guitar -> H9 in , H9 midi out / thru -> Gr33 midi in, Gr33 (phones) mix out -> amp  

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Alas, I know nothing about the GR33, and do not know what is required to drive it.

I'm going to guess that it needs a MIDI Note On message to trigger notes. The H9 does not generate these messages, so is unlikely to be helpful.

Hopefully someone else knows more than I.

bohan
      Eventide Staff

I had used GR55 with the midi pickup GK3 for a while. You can use an H9 to switch banks on GR33 but H9 can't trigger MIDI Note messages.

hsilinski

Thanks for the followup guys. So if the purpose of the midi out / thru on the H9 is not to trigger midi note on messages, what is that ports purpose? In the case of bohan’s comment how did you get it to trigger bank switches?

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        hsilinski wrote:

In the case of bohan's comment how did you get it to trigger bank switches?

If you step into H9's system settings and turn on program transmit[PGM.XMT], and connect the MIDI OUT of H9 to GR33's MIDI IN. By default, Switching presets on H9 will also change the preset/bank on GR33 (preset 1 – 99). If that doesn't work, you may need to look at GR33's system settings or its manual for further information.

You can also connect GR33's MIDI OUT to H9's MIDI IN to use GR33 as a master to change presets on H9. There are many other functions available. By using H9 Control, you can more easily assign H9's MIDI CC/PC receive functions.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.