Can I use 2 aux switches on the H9 for 2 functions?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Can I use 2 aux switches on the H9 for 2 functions?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      peevman
      Participant

With The H9, instead of using one aux switch and one “sweepable” expression pedal to operate both the aux and expression options that I would like to program on any given algorithm , might it be be possible to operate the two functions with 2 separate aux switches to save space on my board? Or does the expression function HAVE to be communicated with a “sweepable” sort of foot pedal?

In an effort to save space on a board crammed with pedals I want to use, if I were able to add two small aux switches to accomplish these two functions per algorithm that would be optimal. (I would probably use one aux switch for the hot spot option and one aux switch to be an alternative expression option)

Note – I am using a GigRig Atom and I can plug into two separate EXP in’s on that unit and communicate these commands to the H9 through midi , so all this need not be configured to one single H9 exp jack on the back of the H9 itself.

If this is possible, could you share any ideas how the aux switch would need to be wired and connected, as there seem to be many types of toggle aux switches, wired in unique ways.

Thank you for any ideas, suggestions or advice.

Jeff P

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

With The H9, instead of using one aux switch and one “sweepable” expression pedal to operate both the aux and expression options that I would like to program on any given algorithm , might it be be possible to operate the two functions with 2 separate aux switches to save space on my board? Or does the expression function HAVE to be communicated with a “sweepable” sort of foot pedal?

It is possible to assign specific parameters to toggle between two values on button press. If the algorithm you’re using has a HotSwitch option, that’s the best thing to use for multiple instantaneous parameter changes. One last option is mapping a switch to the Expression Peda Value function, which goes from on expression range extreme to the other with one button press. This video might give you more insight: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xVuh2LAiiJ0&list=PLhT2MsSeKiDw6X56B_cfGPhD4GeBd3MA4&index=43

You could use an aux switch with 2-3 buttons and assign them to any of these functions.

peevman
      Participant

Thank you Joe. I ear marked that exact video this past month as it is an excellent tutorial for programming the hot switch. Admittedly the depths of possibilities seems endless, and my inquiry here lands on the possibility, given the opportunity, is the ability to control two separate functions within one algorithm with separate aux switches insted of one aux and one expression pedal…for instance,  an algorithm that features tremolo and delay….. where one aux switch can hot switch the tremolo  on and off and the other aux switch to “expression” the delay on and off (where the “expression” is programmed the amount delay to max of a louder value and minimum it to being off…. then in essence I could be able to control two parameters of the same algorithm setting with two separate aux switches….if it’s possible to use a 2nd aux for expression control. If so is it just any aux switch? or does it have to be a certain wiring?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

my inquiry here lands on the possibility, given the opportunity, is the ability to control two separate functions within one algorithm with separate aux switches insted of one aux and one expression pedal…for instance, an algorithm that features tremolo and delay….. where one aux switch can hot switch the tremolo on and off and the other aux switch to “expression” the delay on and off (where the “expression” is programmed the amount delay to max of a louder value and minimum it to being off….

Yes, it is possible to control two separate functions of one algorithm with separate aux switches. In your example, one can be mapped for Hotswitch, the other can go between min and max values. If it’s two separate aux switches the only thing you need is a TRS ato dual TS cable. Connect the TS ends, one to each aux switch. They can be any “normally open” aux switch, the most common. In the Pedal tab of H9 Control, under Aux Switch Mappings you can map the Hotswitch function to one, and the Set Parameter function of the knob you want to control between min and max points to the other aux switch.

peevman
      Participant

Wow Joe, Wonderful info thank you for your time and expertise. You may or may not be familiar with this product but I am using a G3 GigRig Atom as my pedal board controller. It combines my ability to combine various stomp pedals into separate loops (which I can turn on and off as I program each preset) and also the G3 sends out midi PC and expression commands to anything on my board that receives midi (like the H9). So in essence rather than having to utilize the back of the H9’s Exp in and the cable arrangement that you mention in your previous reply, it is my understanding the “expression” and “aux” communication from the G3 is configured through programming the appropriate midi commands to the H9 from the G3. As there are two Exp In jacks in my G3, would it make sense that if I get 2 “normally open” aux switches I could use two TRS cables to connect the 2 aux switches to my G3 and then program the G3 to send the appropriate “aux” and “expression” commands to the H9 for each algorithm I use that I want to employ two separate commands? Does that make sense to you, in concept?

One question though..Let’s say I want to program one aux switch to always control the hotspot settings …seems easy enough…..but what if  the other aux switch might have different “expression” jobs depending on the algorithm, like a regular expression pedal  would be programmed….would going into my H9 pedal settings for the “expression” control be one global setting for the 2nd aux switch to always utilize whatever “expression” command each algorithm be programmed in the H9 (one stomp for the min and one stomp for the max ) that I program in my H9 as an “expression” command?

Thanks for your input, time and expertise, Joe!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

As there are two Exp In jacks in my G3, would it make sense that if I get 2 “normally open” aux switches I could use two TRS cables to connect the 2 aux switches to my G3 and then program the G3 to send the appropriate “aux” and “expression” commands to the H9 for each algorithm I use that I want to employ two separate commands? Does that make sense to you, in concept?

Yes, this is a common thing to do with MIDI. Each command you want to control has to have a MIDI CC # assigned to it. On H9 Control, go into the Pedal tab, MIDI Settings, Assign MIDI CC Messages. Use these CC#s when you’re programming your MIDI controller. Notice the options on this menu are similar to the ones for assigning aux switches on the H9.

One question though..Let’s say I want to program one aux switch to always control the hotspot settings …seems easy enough…..but what if the other aux switch might have different “expression” jobs depending on the algorithm, like a regular expression pedal would be programmed….would going into my H9 pedal settings for the “expression” control be one global setting for the 2nd aux switch to always utilize whatever “expression” command each algorithm be programmed in the H9 (one stomp for the min and one stomp for the max ) that I program in my H9 as an “expression” command?

Again, once any function on the H9 is assigned a CC#, it works across all algorithms. So, for example, if you assign  a CC# to the “Performance Switch” function on the H9, for the algorithms that have HotSwitches, sending MIDI CC commands from your G3 on that number will control the HotSwitch. For other algorithms that don’t have a HotSwitch, the “Performance Switch” will control the middle button on that algorithm.

peevman
      Participant

Joe, you are a wealth of knowledge and I so appreciate your time and expertise.

I await the arriving of a few very small aux switches that I found on Reverb made by Simple Switch Effects who can build aux and performance switches to order, whatever a customer might want, and very affordable, in case others might be interested in experimenting with this kind of direction with their H9’s. As I am doing my best to keep this board packed with as many pedals as I am able within the space limitations of my newly acquired Boss BCXB-1000 (which has it’s own removable metal pedal board to mount effect pedals on, enclosed with it’s own travel case and handle, perfect for carry on luggage when traveling with this rig on flights as carry on) I will soon be able to place some very small aux/performance switches in small crevices in my pedal board design to accomplish incredible tasks available with the H9. I am constantly amazed and impressed with the endless possibilities with the H9, being someone who makes a living sculpting sonic sounds with my guitars and various instruments, touring and in the studio. As the saying goes, the only limitation is your imagination. Now that the H9 offers many algorithms that include reverb AND delay and other algorithms with combined “stacked” effects, these types of switches can control various dynamics of each of those effects that one might like to “tweak” during performance. Scratching the surface here but with every experiment brings on new discoveries with the H9! Thank you Eventide for making such world class effects that make a guy like me revel in the possibilities!

Jeff Pevar recording and touring guitarist

worked, toured and/or recorded with Crosby, Stills & Nash, CPR w David Crosby, Graham Nash Band, Ray Charles, Joe Cocker, Bette Midler, Jazz Is Dead, Phil Lesh & Friends, Marc Cohn, James Taylor, Carly Simon, Rickie Lee Jones, The Gilmour Project and many others. http://www.pevar.com

peevman
      Participant

How to do start a new question? I’ll post it here just in case…

I am normally running the output of my Eventide H9, as the last effect in my signal chain,  in mono with one 1/4 inch cable coming out of Output #1  running straight out (actually into a junction box that my Boss BCB 1000 pedal board has) so I can plug it into one guitar amp.

My question is this…

If I decide to have a 2nd quarter inch jack coming out of Output 2 of the H9, and running that to use as a stereo effect (to the 2nd output of the Boss in/out junction box) if I ever want to use the actual stereo effects into 2 amps, does the mono signal coming from the H9 change with the 2nd output plugged in to the H9?…meaning would it effect how the unit sounds when I am only using output 1 in a mono rig if a cable is now coming out of Output 2, verses no cable plugged into that 2nd output?. i.e….does the H9 work differently when a 2nd 1/4 in jack is plugged into output 2?

Thank you for your help.Jeff Pevar
      http://www.pevar.com

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Does the mono signal coming from the H9 change with the 2nd output plugged in to the H9?

You are correct. If have something connected to the second output, the pedal will only function in stereo. The only way H9 will output proper mono audio is if Output two is not connected.

peevman
      Participant

New question.

I because I have a number of boost pedals before the H9 I am getting a solid red light on my input when I use them all chained together.

Shall I assume I can turn down the input level to the H9 in Utilities?

Problem is, I followed the H9 tutorial video direction to hold both right foot switch and the hot knob to get me into utilizes mode and…well… I just get MIDI or NAME when I scroll the black wheel….but no access to Utilities….

Suggestions?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hi peevman, to be clear, to get into the System Settings press the right foot switch and the top right button that says Hotknob. If you see MIDI on the display, it could mean that you’re in the MIDI menu. Press PRESETS a few times to back up in the system tree and scroll to the Utilities category with the jog wheel.

That said, to be honest, I think the easier solution is to lower the output of your drive pedals when you have them engaged. The input volume on the H9 cannot go lower than the 0 dB setting.

apalazzolo
      Participant

If I understand your question and further to Joe’s point ….

The first comment on that video points out that the video is wrong.  The comment gives the following instructions which I have used successfully a few times a few years ago:

bcastromusic
      6 years ago
      This is not how you set input gain, this video must show old firmware. From the current manual you do this:

1) Press and hold the HOTKNOB button and Right Footswitch simultaneously for a few seconds to enter System Mode.
      2) Turn the Knob until [UTILITY] is displayed.
      3) Momentarily press the HOTKNOB button.
      4) Turn the Knob until [INGAIN] is displayed.
      5) Momentarily press the HOTKNOB button.Turn the Knob to adjust the gain between 0dB and +18dB.
      6) Press and hold the HOTKNOB button and Right Footswitch simultaneously for a few seconds to exit System Mode

Love your music.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.