Can I use the pitchfactor as a detuner?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Can I use the pitchfactor as a detuner?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      krom750

I have recently seen a video on youtube where somebody used their pitchfactor for detuning, can i do this? If so can I use it to tune down half steps and whole steps or possibly even drop tunings?

ndeshpande
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Hi,

I use the PitchFactor personally to do this (among many other things!). PitchFactor will do drop tunings if you set the mix to 100%. It will drop down all strings in the same interval, so the ratios between strings will still be the same (so you can't, for example, go to open D without modifying the standard tuning of your guitar), so in other words all strings will shift with the same ratio depending mainly on the key you've selected for it to shift in. But otherwise you can drop it down for any interval from two octaves down to two octaves up. 

krom750

Thank you for your help on this issue, that got me exactly where i needed to go, I do have one more question, with the detuner (pitchflex) on, i hear popping sounds when i play and they get louder the lower i tune, i also hear them with the volume on my guitar tuned down all other settings on the pitchfactor are at 0 but it goes away as soon as i bypass the pitchfactor. Is there something I need to turn off to keep this from happening?

ndeshpande
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Hi,

Glad to know it's working out for you. I play many styles of music (mostly ambient stuff), but every once in a while I like to give some Mastodon licks a go, and PitchFactor helps me do that without messing with my guitar's tuning or setup/feel. PitchFactor to me is kind of like my secret weapon – it does so many sounds, and all of them sound like nothing else out there (nothing works like an Eventide pitch shifter!), but they're all really usable. Not always subtle, but certainly sculpts difficult sounds with ease of use. I'd keep exploring if I were you – the more time I spend with mine, the more sounds I create and the more preset banks I fill up with my own creations. 

Based on your description, that popping sound doesn't seem normal. Does this happen on all algorithms, or only PitchFlex? Does it still happen with the effect mix set to 0? What do you have the bypass set to – DSP, Relay, or DSP + FX? Is the PitchFactor running the latest software? Also, try backing up your presets with factorlib and then reinitializing the PitchFactor. If the problem still persists after that let me know. 

javiceres
      Participant

Can one do the same with an Space pedal if setting the reverb decay/size to zero, crancking the mix and adjusting the deuning parameters?

I had a PitchFactor and just bought one Space that I'll try next week.

Many thanks.

ndeshpande
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Hi,

If you're referring to the Shimmer algorithm, then not really – the structure of the algorithm doesn't allow for this. If you want to do pitch shifting of any kind, the Pitch Factor is your weapon of choice; Space is geared more toward really expansive reverb algorithms. 

That being said, the detuning and modulation on Space can get pretty crazy, especially at short decay and size times. I've gotten an MBV-type modulation from the wobble in Mangledverb. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.