Can the factors send a MIDI pgm or cc change to a non-eventide device?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Can the factors send a MIDI pgm or cc change to a non-eventide device?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      rjclark

Hey forum.  Just curious if anyone knows if the factors can be used as a midi controller for devices that are not Eventide?  I get passing from a master to a slave(s), but after that, can I go to another device if it is set up to receive messsages from the same midi channel?  I have a timefactor and a ModFactor, but then I want to go to my Rocktron Patchmate and EHX 8 Step.  Thanks in advance.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

MIDI cc and pgm don't care whose box it is. To go from one box to another to another, the middle box must be set up as MIDI THRU.

rjclark

so… i can use an eventide as a midi master controller?  Just wanted to make sure that how the Eventides transmit data has no internal things going on that might not pass to another device.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It should be OK – that's one reason we put so much MIDI functionality into it.

BUT, first read the UM thoroughly so that you are sure you know what it will and won't do.

rjclark

I did and that's what prompted the question.  The UM reads:

[XMT MAP] – Create a MIDI Program Change Transmit Map

In Bank Mode, when a Footswitch is used to recall a Preset, a MIDI Program Change message

can be transmitted from the MIDI Out jack or USB to control an external device (e.g. another

Factor series Stompbox, an Eventide Eclipse, an Eventide H000FW, etc.).

…which gives no mention or implication of non-eventide devices being supported.  I was hoping to get a clear answer so I wouldn't have to tear apart my board, reroute cables and change a bunch of settings to find out. I thought since you guys made it, you might know what it can and can't do, What's up with the vague, non-commiting,  wishy washy responses?  This is a programmed electronic device, not some organic thing that may behave differently from one day to the next.  You guys make outstanding products, why is the support so lacking?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry you are unhappy with our support. Many others disagree. We can't know exactly what you want to do, so we're not going to promise you that it will do it.

But, to answer your specific question above (for the second time):

MIDI Program Change is not manufacturer-specific, so there is no problem with non-Eventide support. The manual gives examples of Eventide products that can be controlled – this is not exclusive. Any other product that will accept MIDI Program Change may be controlled, as long as it is configured appropriately. Clear enough ?

rjclark

Clear enough.  Thnk you.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Apologies if I was a bit snippy – having a bad day day.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.