Can the space do Angel echoes?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Can the space do Angel echoes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      ITBoy
      Participant

Is the space capable of doing angel echoes?

ITBoy
      Participant

sorry, I believe the preset is named angelic echoes on the rackmount models.

timothyhill

Are you referring to preset 233 from the Eclipse? It helps to be as specific as possible.

Sorry, I don't personally have an Eclipse, so I can't say for sure, but hopefully someone with an Eclipse can, but… from what I see in the preset and algorithm manuals, Space will probably come close, but it's not the same thing (not better or worse, just different). You would probably get closer with a Timefactor into a Space, but that's still different.

Looks to me like Angelic Echoes is a combination of stereo chorus delays and multishift+verb8. While multishift+verb8 looks fairly similar to the Shimmer algorithm from Space, there are a couple of differences. Shimmer feeds reverb into a delay, then a shifter. The delay is post-reverb but before the shifters kick in, so I doubt it sounds the same as having a delay first would, as Angelic Echoes does. Looks like multishift+verb8 has the shifters before the reverb, too, which is opposite from Shimmer. I'd guess the shifters in multishift+verb8 are more flexible than what's used in Shimmer, too. But, like I said, I don't have an Eclipse, so I can't be sure… just my impression from the manuals.

I can say that you can get some incredibly angelic sounds from Space… 😉

ITBoy
      Participant

I'm not sure of the preset number but I do know it has been a preset on a few of the eventide rackmount units. I heard the preset in a John Petrucci rig demo video from a while ago. The preset sounds like a long delay with a fair amount of feedback through a huge sounding reverb. I'm not sure now if it really is angelic echoes as John does call it angel echoes and I don't hear any pitch shifting though I could very well be wrong. Thanks for the reply.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Assuming you refer to H8000 preset 5710 "Angelic Echos," the answer is no – this one is only on the rack-mount units. But, there are many other fine reverbs on Space.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

As others have said, there are similar effects in Space, I would be fairly confident that if you like that sort of effect then Space will do a great job for you.

ModEchoVerb will get you some great tones in the same ball park, alothough not identical…. I will fire up the Eclipse when I get home to make sure it is the sound I am thinking of.

Har
      Participant

If Tim is correct as far as the order of how this particular preset is set up – I get the feeling that perhaps another option could be using Space together with a PitchFactor to handle some of the various pitch-shifted components before the reverb and at least put you somewhere in the ballpark.

Of course, this assumes you might already own a PitchFactor too – but if not, hey….could be a great excuse to get one! Wink

(I can say from my own experiences so far with how Space and PitchFactor can interact – the two together allow for some staggeringly cool possibilities.  Cool )

ITBoy
      Participant

There's the video. You can hear the effect starting at 4:00. I believe John used the dsp7000 back then.

timothyhill

To my ears, at 4:00 in the video, it sounds like a slight detune into a tape delay  with lots of feedback into a large dense hall.

I agree with Har, the Space and the PF could do something very close and they're amazing when used together! With multiple Factors, I think I'd try PF >> TF >> Space. Of course, it wouldn't be the same algorithm as the H8000 or DSP7000, but I'm not sure the outcome would be noticably different.

I agree with badmelonfarmer, too. ModEchoVerb from Space will also get close to what I'm hearing in the video. If I could only use one pedal, the ModEchoVerb algorithm from Space is where I'd start. It's one of my favorites from the Space, lots of good stuff there. That was my original thought, too, but on paper, it seemed to me that Shimmer was closer since ModEchoVerb doesn't use a shifter.

In any case, Nick's right, there are some great reverbs in Space that will get you in the same ballpark as Angelic Echos… You would not be disappointed.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Ahhh is Angelic Echos the one with a Crystals vibe going on??

Sorry, I must have been thinking of the wrong one, I thought it was along the lines of ModEchoveb / EchoSpace of God.

Did not have time to fire up the Eclipse to check it out this evening.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

hmmm, just checked out the video…not hearing crystals…must listen to the Eclipse.

But ModEchoVerb will be the closest I can think of on space after a quick listen to the video…IMHO

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Just got around to trying Angelic Echoes on the Eclipse and there is certainly pitchshifting in there, as others sugest you could use a Space and a PitchFactor or a very simple device to give you an octave up.

ModEchoVerb + an octave up will get you pretty colse, but then I am not really hearing the octave in the video…it is there in the eclipse.

The octave is not exactly in your face in the preset so it might just not come across on the video you posted.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.