Can’t bypass H9 after Boss ES-8 via MIDI

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Can’t bypass H9 after Boss ES-8 via MIDI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      nostalgistband
      Participant

Hi y’all, I love the H9 so much I got a second one in recent months. It + the ES-8’s MIDI switching capabilities have been the gift that keeps on giving. I’ve learned a lot about programming both in the last few years but right now I’m perplexed.

The relevant MIDI routing stuff is as follows:

MIDI: ES-8 MIDI Out > H9-1 MIDI In > H9-1 MIDI Out/Thru > H9-2 In

H9-2 is not in the ES-8 loops, it’s afterward between the ES-8 outputs and the amp. I’m trying to make it so that certain patches automatically trigger bypass mode for H9-2 via MIDI message. I’ve got the CC values matched (I’m just doing CC1). But when I try to set this up as patch MIDI (see attachment for settings), nothing happens.

I also tried doing this with ES-8 assigns for the patch in question. H9-2 did detect the command this way, but as best as I can tell, that would mean I’d have to press the preset switch on the ES-8 a second time to bypass H9-2 when switching.

Anyone have any experience/ideas on this? Thanks in advance!

brock
      Participant
      nostalgistband wrote:
      … I’ve got the CC values matched (I’m just doing CC1). But when I try to set this up as patch MIDI (see attachment for settings), nothing happens…

The problem might be with CTRL 1 VAL 1.  Try setting it to 127 (actually, anything from 64-127).

nostalgistband wrote:
      … I also tried doing this with ES-8 assigns for the patch in question. H9-2 did detect the command this way, but as best as I can tell, that would mean I’d have to press the preset switch on the ES-8 a second time to bypass H9-2 when switching …

I just want to confirm that you’re targeting the Bypass (and not Toggle between Bypass & Active).

I’m not familiar with the workings of the ES-8.  But it could be its switch action is set up as latching, rather than momentary.  That is, ON with one press; alternating with OFF on every other press.  You’d want ON with switch press; OFF on release.

It’s been a while, but I believe you can use PC or CC commands for Active, Bypass, and Toggle.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.