CC Messages with Musicomlabs EFX 2.

Home Forums Products Stompboxes CC Messages with Musicomlabs EFX 2.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      mozzriot

Hi,

First and foremost the pedals that you guys have made are truly amazing, now if you or any of the guys here can give me some help as to how to get the most out of them that will be even better.

I have a musicom efx 2 hooked up via midi to a PF and a Space. Programming of PC changes to both pedals is absolutely fine and that has worked a charm.

The issue I am currently having is trying to get the Space to receive CC messages from the Musicom, in particular I want to use a M-audio EXP to control the parameters within the Space.

I have gone in to the RCV CTL menu gone to pedal changed it to C15 as the receiving channel and then transmitted the same channel from the Musicom (EPL) with a value of 127 (and various points in between.) then when I move the pedal I am getting nothing at all. I have also tried transmitting Bypass signals and pre and post signals too all to no avail.

Now I freely admit am pretty inexperienced with Midi, but I have read every single forum comment on this I can find and I have tried everything that I can think, I've watched the videos on the website too and followed everything and I can't seem to get it going. Any help that you guys can provide would be really really appreciated.

mozzriot

Am making some headway with it, but again any more experienced midi user advice on these items would be great.

Many thanks

mozzriot

Actually….scratch that, no headway being made…..I can't get my head around it. Have tried setting up a bypass and that doesn't work either, maybe one of you guys can spot a hole in my methodology though….

Go to Space, set up RCV CTL on Bypass and set that to C1. Hit learn and then leave system mode.

Go to Musicom go to Loop 1 and program CC1 to be sent on C1 and then set value to 127. Hit Mode to exit that and then fire up the patch keeping an eye on the bypass to click in and ….nothing. Have also tried transmitting a value of Non and 50 60 and 70 and gotten the same.

Also tried to set up the Expression Pedal on C16, set the Space on PDL to Channel 16 hit learn leave system mode etc and set value at 127, no dice at all. Equally tried the above with the Pitch factor I have too and gotten no further.

The expression pedal is the M-Audio EXP plugged into the EXP in on the Musicom Efx2….Once again any help would be great. I have read every single forum conversation on this and cannot find anything that deals with this specifically and to be honest I have hit a brick wall with the thing..

Thanks

John

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not quite sure what you are doing, Learn will only work if you are in system mode – maybe this is your problem ?

mozzriot

Hi Nick,

Thanks for getting back to me…I figure that if a member of Eventide staff can't fathom the mess that i have gotten myself into with this there is only one way around it and that is to spend some more time going back over everything that I am doing, am sure I'll get it in the end, to be honest I am still getting my head around a lot of this stuff and I am probably not expressing what I am doing very clearly, which doesn't help you help me, as such I'll give it another go, though your point about system mode could well be an element of this issue.

Many thanks again for getting back to me,

Kind regards

John

exhausted

I have tap set up via the exp jack on a musicom so possibly I can help.  I also have bypasses set up.

I'm using an EFX III+ but this should be the same.

Procedure I use to set up a bypass.

On the space:

-Rcv Channel (in my base) set to 3

-Rcv Ctl (basically assigning the CC number you're going to use.  This isn't the MIDI channel.  Say C10.  Doesn't matter which.  So bypass is set for C10.  (Another example, my Line6 M5, controlled on Channel 1, uses CC#11 for bypass toggling.  I can't choose.  On the eventides you can.

-On the Musicom, Press and hold the mode switch to get into the PC/CC programming.  Toggle PS-1 to choose which loop you want to send the CC. Say LP.1

– Press PS-2 and the display should read C.01.  This is the MIDI channel.  Since in this example I'm on MIDI channel 3, bank up to select c.03 and store it.  

– Press PS-3 and the display should read "—"  This is the CC#.  Bank up to choose 10 since we set the space to have bypass on CC#10 in this example.  Store it.

– Press PS-4 and the display will read "nor".  Bank up to select "rEv" so the eventide toggles on when Loop 1 is active. Store it.  

So there is your bypass set up.  Whenever you turn on Loop 1, the space will be active.

Same theory for setting up the expression pedal via the musicom.  I think the problem is your confusing MIDI channel number and CC number.

– On the space.  MIDI channel is still set for 3 as above.

– RCV CTL – Go in and scroll to whatever knob you want to control.  Say mix in this case so scroll to Knob0.  The display says the CC# for this knob is 22.  So that's ok.  Leave that.

On the Musicom:

Press and hold Mode to get into the PC/CC programming.

– Press PS-1 until the display reads "ESL"

– Press PS-2 and the display will read "C.xx"  Bank up or down to set to C.03.  The MIDI channel the Space is on. Store it.

– Press PS-3 and the display will read "—" (or whatever CC is currently assigned).  Bank up or down to set the CC to 22 since that's what the Space has the mix knob tied to.  Store it.

And you're done.  The exp pedal is now varying the mix from 0 to 100.

Hopefully that works for you.

kevin hunter
      Participant

Hi Exhausted and Mozzriot,

Thanks Mozzriot  for bringing this up this question. please lets us know if you find out more. 

Big thank you Exhausted, 

I have a similar setup and have been trying to get my EFX 3 to work with an expression pedal controlling different parameters with all my Eventide Factor pedals and Space pedal as you have have just explained. I will try it tomorrow.

My Eventide pedalboard setup:

EFX –  Time Factor ( midi prog. channel 1) – Space ( midi prog. ch 2)   – PitchFactor ( midi prog. ch 3)  – Modfactor (midi prog. ch 4)  

I would like to ask a couple of questions. 

Have you tried to do your setup with multiple boxes and have the single expression pedal control various parameters in different boxes at the same time? That is my goal. 

At the end of you email you said the expression pedal would vary the mix from 0 to 100 thats from the EFX perspective, but if you wanted your actual parameter width within lets say the TimeFactor mix to be 5 to 10. I would have to plug in the exp to the TimeFactor pedal and within that specific preset create that movement. Is that a correct line of thought?  And then the same would follow with the other pedals… ?

Thanks for your help 

Kevin

kevin hunter
      Participant

Hi Exhausted and Mozzriot,

Thanks Mozzriot  for bringing this up this question. please lets us know if you find out more. 

Big thank you Exhausted, 

I have a similar setup and have been trying to get my EFX 3 to work with an expression pedal controlling different parameters with all my Eventide Factor pedals and Space pedal as you have have just explained. I will try it tomorrow.

My Eventide pedalboard setup:

EFX –  Time Factor ( midi prog. channel 1) – Space ( midi prog. ch 2)   – PitchFactor ( midi prog. ch 3)  – Modfactor (midi prog. ch 4)  

I would like to ask a couple of questions. 

Have you tried to do your setup with multiple boxes and have the single expression pedal control various parameters in different boxes at the same time? That is my goal. 

At the end of you email you said the expression pedal would vary the mix from 0 to 100 thats from the EFX perspective, but if you wanted your actual parameter width within lets say the TimeFactor mix to be 5 to 10. I would have to plug in the exp to the TimeFactor pedal and within that specific preset create that movement. Is that a correct line of thought?  And then the same would follow with the other pedals… ?

Thanks Kevin

Ps. I am using a line6 expression pedal with my EFX 

exhausted

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately the EFX's expression pedal feature will only transmit on one channel so there is no way to control boxes on that are assigned to different MIDI channels.  So that's a no go.  You'd have to go directly into the expression pedal jack on each timefactor either with one pedal per factor or a single pedal through some sort of switching to route the exp pedal to the selected factor.  I suppose one could plug in the expression pedal to input A or input B on the EFX and then use one bank of loops to route that to each of the four factor pedals' exp jacks but then you've consumed 4 loops.  Not sure that would work anyway.

If all the factors were set to listen to all MIDI channels then you could do it from a single exp pedal via the musicom but then of course you can't switch presets etc.

As for programming the range of the expression pedal, yes it appears you program a "toe up" sound and a "toe down" setting for each preset.  I haven't tried this yet as I'm not a big user of expression pedals.  But this looks to be something that is unique to plugging into the factor pedals' exp jack directly.  Doing expression via the EFX will only transmit a single CC on one channel and you can't customize the range.  Which is why I got a mix range of 0-100% when I tried it. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.