CC to enable/disable MIDI clock input?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes CC to enable/disable MIDI clock input?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      edo.kamal

Hi

Since manual tap is disabled when MIDI input clock is enabled even when there’s no clock signal, I was wondering if there’s a way to use CC to enable and disable the receiving of MIDI input clock?

Otherwise could a fix be introduced to allow manual tap when MIDI clock signal is not present and MIDI input clock is enabled?

Cheers
      Edo

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi Edo

Ask me again in the New Year, and I can give you a Sysex to disable MIDIclock in.

Our thinking was that if you were using MIDIclock, this would be your tempo master, and you would not try to override it.

A situtation where you had tap tempo fighting received MIDIclock did not seem attractive. We thought you should pick one or the other.

edo.kamal
        nickrose wrote:

Hi Edo

Ask me again in the New Year, and I can give you a Sysex to disable MIDIclock in.

Our thinking was that if you were using MIDIclock, this would be your tempo master, and you would not try to override it.

A situtation where you had tap tempo fighting received MIDIclock did not seem attractive. We thought you should pick one or the other.

Thanks Nick! Yes I understand that scenario, in which case I’d be happy for a persistent MIDI clock to win over the manual tap.

My clock generator is not persistent and I’m making of use of that nature to give me flexibility to tap in a new tempo quickly.

Will ask you again in the new year!

Cheers.

shanesublett
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

Hi Edo

I made the silly asumption that I would also be able to have some presets that are at a set tempo, but then also allowing me to tap in tempo. Enable/disable clock via midi, like pushing the encoder, would be an OBVIOUS mapping choice? I use an advanced midi pedal to control this, is there a cc yet to control “tempo on/off” yet? If not, where is this sysex of which you speak? My pedal (RJM ftw!) can more than likely send those as macros. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Most H9 settings can be accessed using Sysex (System Exclusive) messages, as described in Appendix B of "MIDI Sysex Messages for the Eventide Factor series pedals". For example, to turn MIDIclock on/off, refer to sp_midiclock_enable.

See https://www.eventideaudio.com/downloader/10982 for a PDF.

JCR
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

Most H9 settings can be accessed using Sysex (System Exclusive) messages, as described in Appendix B of “MIDI Sysex Messages for the Eventide Factor series pedals”. For example, to turn MIDIclock on/off, refer to sp_midiclock_enable.

See https://www.eventideaudio.com/downloader/10982 for a PDF.

Some time ago I made some notes for myself after needing sysex messages for my H9 to alter the midi output mode, midi clock and source instrument. Maybe it is helpfull for you. The layout explaning the sysex bytes shows oke in the editor but not in the final layout, so copy the text into a notepad editor and all shows as intended.

Change Midi output mode on H9 via midi:

MIDI OUTPUT MODE:

How to change the output mode on the H9 from <>thru<> to <>thru+midi clock<> when changing to different songs.

You want to send it the following message:

SYSEX_OPEN EVENTIDE H4000 id message_code <lots-o-bytes> SYSEX_CLOSE

where (0x means hex):

EVENTIDE is 0x1C
        H4000 is 0x70
        SYSEX_OPEN is 0xF0
        SYSEX_CLOSE is 0xF7

ID is 0

message_code is SYSEXC_USEROBJECT_SHORT = 0x3c

<lots-o-bytes> is "25d <num>" this is a text string

where <num> is 0 - XMT, 1 - THRU, etc.

So, for example, to set output mode to THRU, you would send (all hex bytes):

F0 1C 70 00 3C 32 35 64 20 31 F7
        | | | | | | | | | | |--- SysEx Close
        | | | | | | | | | |
        "1"
        | | | | | | | | |
        Space
        | | | | | | | |
        "d"
        | | | | | | |
        "5"
        | | | | | |
        "2"
        | | | | |
        Message ID (3C = SYSEXC_USEROBJECT_SHORT)
        | | | |
        H9 SysEx ID
        | | |
        H9 ID
        | |
        Eventide ID
        |
        SysEx open

It will reply with a similar message, but message_code will be SYSEXC_VALUE_DUMP (0x2E)

and to set output mode to THRU+C, you would send (all hex bytes):

F0 1C 70 00 3C 32 35 64 20 32 F7

and to set output mode to MERGE, you would send (all hex bytes):

F0 1C 70 00 3C 32 35 64 20 33 F7

and to set output mode to XMT, you would send (all hex bytes):

F0 1C 70 00 3C 32 35 64 20 30 F7

MIDI CLOCK IN:

What would be the sysex format to enable/disable midi clock in?

Same as above, but replace the 25d with 10a. <num> should be 1 or 0.

So, for example, to set midi clock input mode to ON, you would send (all hex bytes):

F0 1C 70 00 3C 31 30 61 20 31 F7
        | | | | | | | | | |
        "1"
        | | | | | | | | |
        Space
        | | | | | | | |
        "a"
        | | | | | | |
        "0"
        | | | | | |
        "1"
        | | | | |
        | | | |
        H9 SysEx ID
        | | |
        H9 ID
        | |
        Eventide ID
        |
        SysEx open

and to set midi clock input mode to OFF, you would send (all hex bytes):

F0 1C 70 00 3C 31 30 61 20 30 F7
        | | | | | | | | | |
        "0"
        | | | | | | | | |
        Space
        | | | | | | | |
        "a"
        | | | | | | |
        "0"
        | | | | | |
        "1"
        | | | | |
        | | | |
        H9 SysEx ID
        | | |
        H9 ID
        | |
        Eventide ID
        |
        SysEx open

SysEx to set the source instrument to guitar - F0 1C 70 00 3C 32 34 34 20 30 F7

SysEx to set the source instrument to bass - F0 1C 70 00 3C 32 34 34 20 31 F7

shanesublett
      Participant

Thanks JCR! I Almost understand what is going on here. I did folllow your post and managed to get my pedal to react as it should with the sysex messages you gave. I am looking to get the boolean parameter 7: sp_tap_syn,         to work. It controls tempo enable or not. I was just hoping for a way to lock to a time OR lock to tap tempo with the sending of a sysex (as if pushing down on the encoder). Sadly, I am a total idiot when it comes to programming. I honestly have NO clue what string of number would represent that command. I dont even have a clue what part of that command is for me to read and what part is to be sent. I fear I am asking questions about things that are many years ahead of me in programming.  Thank you for the insight so far.

JCR
        Participant
        shanesublett wrote:

Thanks JCR! I Almost understand what is going on here. I did folllow your post and managed to get my pedal to react as it should with the sysex messages you gave. I am looking to get the boolean parameter 7: sp_tap_syn,         to work. It controls tempo enable or not. I was just hoping for a way to lock to a time OR lock to tap tempo with the sending of a sysex (as if pushing down on the encoder). Sadly, I am a total idiot when it comes to programming. I honestly have NO clue what string of number would represent that command. I dont even have a clue what part of that command is for me to read and what part is to be sent. I fear I am asking questions about things that are many years ahead of me in programming.  Thank you for the insight so far.

The sp_tap_syn parameter is the same as holding the tap button on the H9 to switch between the tap function and the cue presets function, as far as I know. So that is not the one you need, use the midi clock on/of sysex message instead. If you set midi clock to off by sysex msg the tap function will work, send the midi clock on msg by sysex to have the H9 respond to midi clock.

For me that was to limiting, so I ended up buying a Selah Quartz V2 midi clock (V3 is the last model). It is a very powerfull midi clock. You can tap in the tempo, override the tempo by tapping a new tempo, have 128 presets, control all those presets by midi, and most of all… control/set the tempo by midi CC messages, which you can’t do with the H9 itself. I have set my H9’s to midi clock in and let the Selah Quartz handle all the tempo related stuff. The Quartz is very powerfull, and has a large multi line color display. You can also control tap functions on analog pedals with a tap input and connect additional switches (6 max) to the Quartz  to select presets or send midi macros of max. 10 midi messages on each preset. You can have different functions for tap and for holding the switches. It gave me the flexibility I needed.

Cal, the designer of the Quartz, has put several video’s on youtube explaining a lot of functions of the Quartz.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.