Change TimeFactor parameter values via MIDI

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Change TimeFactor parameter values via MIDI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ctc

I play 5 songs that utilize different values for the same parameter of a particular preset. I've read in the TimeFactor manual page 36 that a parameter value can be toggled between its minimum and maximum value as set by the user. However it also states that those minimum and maximum values then become global across all presets, which is too limiting for me.

I know that I could copy that preset 4x and save a different value for that parameter in each of the 4 new presets, but it kind of seems limiting to to lose all those preset slots for this purpose.

Is there any way to send a MIDI command to the TimeFactor to set a parameter's value without using the minimum and maximum trick?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If you are not using the Expression Pedal, you could plug a switch into the pedal socket and treat it as a pedal. The pedal settings ARE saved with the preset, rather than being global.

ctc

Thanks. But I don't understand what plugging a switch (momentary?) into the expression pedal socket does. Additionally the expression pedal has a sweeping analog range, how does a momentary switch enable you to choose a variety of values? Also if the purpose of your suggestion is to select a parameter value to be saved with the preset,then why not just turn the knob and save it? In this scenario it seems that I do need to create an additional 4 presets just to be able choose the preset with the parameter value that I want. Please clarify!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Maybe I misunderstand, but I'm assuming you want to use a switch to select between two values for a parameter (knob) as a performance device. In this case, the switch will act as an expression pedal with two values whose settings can be saved differently for each preset where it is needed.

But, if this is not what you want, never mind.

ctc

Thanks again but that is not it. Put simply "Is there any way to send a MIDI command to the TimeFactor to set a parameter's value without using the minimum and maximum trick?"

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      I play 5 songs that utilize different values for the same parameter of a particular preset. … Is there any way to send a MIDI command to the TimeFactor to set a parameter's value without using the minimum and maximum trick?

I have a sinking feeling that I'm missing something about your question here.  But you do have a Liquid Foot 12+ MIDI controller, and that's a more than capable device for this.  So, here goes (and forgive any misinterpretation or repetitive reviews on my part):

I'm working from an FCB-1010 with the PitchFactor, but the concepts are the same, along with the Eventide MIDI implementation.  You can set the parameter limits at the MIDI controller end, or the stompbox end (transmitting or receiving).  The results will be the same.  I'll have a 'bank' of 10 switches available, yet only one or two of those switches will send a Program Change message.

The remaining switches in a bank modify one or two parameters within that single stompbox preset.  I don't have to review the MIDI channel or system settings for you (from your previous posts).  Assuming that the CC numbers on the LF 12+ and TF match in terms of the TF parameter that you want to control.

There's a small range of CC values that will call up a specific TF parameter value.  For example (in the PitchFactor): with a 2 second delay range, a CC value of 64 calls up 238 ms.  If it's a 1.48 second range, a CC value of 64 will call up 206 ms.  Every TF parameter scales the CC value range of 0-127 a little differently, and that scale may change from algorithm to algorithm.

It does make sense: If a parameter has 6 possible positions, then the CC value range of 0-127 is divided six ways.  If there are 3,000 possible parameter positions (like delay time), then 128 CC values are only going to nail 128 of those parameter values.  Unfortunately (no TimeFactor here), I can't tell you what CC value or small range of values will correspond with your TF parameter.  It may help to expand on exactly what you want here (for example, you want to hit delay times at 250, 500, 1,000, 1,500, and 2,000 milliseconds).

Let me give you a small example of what I'm talking about.  This post describes the process of changing keys and scales in the PitchFactor.  It's all based on a single preset, with many parameter variations provided by the CC value messages.  I worked out the exact CC values by trial-and-error, then formulated a more efficient way to cover any other PF parameter.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.