Changing H9 Output options

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Changing H9 Output options

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      markboorman
      Participant

Hi – long time lurker here.

I use my H9 in a wet/dry rig currently. I am about to purchase a boss es8 switcher and thinking how I would use the H9 on loop 8 as the stereo loop.

Currently I split the signal after the gain stages. Dry then goes via a lehle splitter to an amp. Wet goes via other modulation pedals inc the H9 and then mono out to my main amp. If I am honest, 75% of my volume is the wet amp, with just a touch of dry.

If I get the es8, I can maintain this set up by setting up parallel signal paths after the loops with gain and route wet and dry separately via outputs 1 and 2 of the boss es8. Easy. This would only need the mono output of the H9.

But can I also also use the H9 in stereo? I think that the H9 automatically detects a jack in the second output and therefore I would run stereo L & R of the H9 to Outputs 1 and 2 of the boss es8. If its connected via midi, can I programme the H9 to either sum L&R to a mono out on specific patches (even though there are 2 output jacks) so I can use it as a wet/dry sound and then can I set up to switch the H9 settings to be true stereo on other presets?

Thanks in advance

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

If its connected via midi, can I programme the H9 to either sum L&R to a mono out on specific patches (even though there are 2 output jacks) so I can use it as a wet/dry sound and then can I set up to switch the H9 settings to be true stereo on other presets?

No, this is not possible. The H9 cannot be summed to mono on a preset basis. I also do not recommend using an external summing mixer because the best mono signal is connecting Output 1 and leaving 2 disconnected. This way, the algorithms sum to mono as intended.

With a MIDI switcher that is mostly running mono effects, stereo effects should be placed at the end of the signal chain and controlled (turned on/off) via MIDI, since most of these effects tend to be ones that live in an amps effects loop. You’d have to make it a W/D/W setup for true stereo anyways.

markboorman
      Participant

Thanks Joecozzi

so Effectively I need to decide to stay either wet dry And use the H9 mono on the wet side or go stereo. One option may be to go stereo when H9 is in use. For presets on the boss, I may be able to go wet dry using the boss parallel processing only when the h9 is not in use. So my wet side would be from another modulation pedal into the wet Output amp and then dry into a second amp. I can see fun fun testing coming up!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.