changing presets with foot

Home Forums Products Stompboxes changing presets with foot

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      4johnny

I am confused about changing presets when performing a song.  It seems awkward to select a preset with the right pedal and then load preset with left pedal…requiring 2 pedal taps to change a preset.

Is there any easier way to change presets?

is there maybe a midi footswitch with 4 pedals that I can use as an extension to the H9. 

I would like to be able to change presets multiple times, with ease, during a song.

Thanks

gkellum
      Participant

Well, there are a bunch of options.  You could get a 3 button aux switch like the FS3X, and assign two of the switches to the Load Next and Load Previous functions that will increment / decrement and autoload the preset.  If you want to be able to use an expression pedal, you could get a single button aux switch and connect the expression pedal and the aux switch with a y cable to the H9;  there's a pdf with instructions about that option on the H9 support page.  Or you could get a MIDI footswitch.  Some MIDI footswitches send out MIDI CC messages and some send out Program Change messages.  If you get one that sends out MIDI CCs, you could use the aforementioned Load Next / Load Previous options.  If you get one that sends out Program Changes, then it will load a preset as active if you saved it as active, and it will load it as inactive if you saved it as inactive.

theolovejoy
        Participant

Is there any way to increment a preset with a single foot press on a Timefactor with aux switches? Thanks for any insights.

gkellum wrote:
        Well, there are a bunch of options.  You could get a 3 button aux switch like the FS3X, and assign two of the switches to the Load Next and Load Previous functions that will increment / decrement and autoload the preset.  If you want to be able to use an expression pedal, you could get a single button aux switch and connect the expression pedal and the aux switch with a y cable to the H9;  there’s a pdf with instructions about that option on the H9 support page.  Or you could get a MIDI footswitch.  Some MIDI footswitches send out MIDI CC messages and some send out Program Change messages.  If you get one that sends out MIDI CCs, you could use the aforementioned Load Next / Load Previous options.  If you get one that sends out Program Changes, then it will load a preset as active if you saved it as active, and it will load it as inactive if you saved it as inactive.

4johnny

OK, thanks for the info.

is there currently any way I can use the H9 right pedal to change/load preset without
      using the left pedal? This would require one foot tap instead of 2?

and is there a way to assign 3 different presets to the fsx3 pedalboard, instead of incrementing or decrementing presets.

gkellum
      Participant

4johnny:

is there currently any way I can use the H9 right pedal to change/load preset without
      using the left pedal? This would require one foot tap instead of 2?

No, some people have asked for that to be an option, but that's not currently supported (and at the moment it's not planned either).

4johnny:

and is there a way to assign 3 different presets to the fsx3 pedalboard, instead of incrementing or decrementing presets.

Not with an FSX3 or other AUX switch.  The only way you could do that would be with a MIDI footswitch that sends out program change messages.

smj

The current preset switching scenario w/the H9 bugs me to no end. It’s just not intuitive for me as I’ve constantly made mistakes live as I’m futzing w/it to get to the preset I want.

How about….in the menus the user can select the function of each switch. For me, the right one scrolls up and the left scrolls down… automatically engaging the effect w/o an extra step. For users who like it the way it is… They can set parameters to default setting.

Sean Meredith-Jones
      http://www.seanmeredithjones.com

Would it really be that hard?

theolovejoy
        Participant

Thanks for chiming in Sean.

Yeah, having 6 realtime control footswitches yet no way to increment a preset with a single press is endlessly frustrating in live performance. The “Increment and load preset” option within aux switch mappings in the H9 Control app already exists when controlling TimeFactor… Perhaps the option could actually be implemented?

smj wrote:
        The current preset switching scenario w/the H9 bugs me to no end. It’s just not intuitive for me as I’ve constantly made mistakes live as I’m futzing w/it to get to the preset I want. How about….in the menus the user can select the function of each switch. For me, the right one scrolls up and the left scrolls down… automatically engaging the effect w/o an extra step. For users who like it the way it is… They can set parameters to default setting. Sean Meredith-Jones http://www.seanmeredithjones.com Would it really be that hard?

gkellum
        Participant
        smj wrote:
        The current preset switching scenario w/the H9 bugs me to no end. It's just not intuitive for me as I've constantly made mistakes live as I'm futzing w/it to get to the preset I want. How about….in the menus the user can select the function of each switch. For me, the right one scrolls up and the left scrolls down… automatically engaging the effect w/o an extra step. For users who like it the way it is… They can set parameters to default setting. Would it really be that hard?

We talked about this being an option when we were designing the H9, but if it behaved like this, how would one toggle between bypass and active? You could try to bypass how you activate the tuner, but some people have had no end of trouble doing a two button press (I guess it depends a lot on what shoes you're wearing…)  

I actually argued for making the footswitches configurable, but the truth is the more I've gotten used to using the H9 the more I've realized the problems with what people suggest as alternate configurations.

Another one that comes up is people want long pressing into tap tempo mode to allow them to control the performance switch instead of the tempo, but the problem with this is that the performance switch itself sometimes is press and hold, which would boot you out of tap tempo mode.  

Other people have suggested assigning the performance switch to the big, black wheel, but again a lot of people have trouble hitting this wheel with their foot (let alone pressing and holding it).

Is there any reason why you can't use an aux switch?  They're cheap, and they don't have any of the aforementioned drawbacks.

smj
        gkellum wrote:
        smj wrote:
        The current preset switching scenario w/the H9 bugs me to no end. It's just not intuitive for me as I've constantly made mistakes live as I'm futzing w/it to get to the preset I want. How about….in the menus the user can select the function of each switch. For me, the right one scrolls up and the left scrolls down… automatically engaging the effect w/o an extra step. For users who like it the way it is… They can set parameters to default setting. Would it really be that hard?

We talked about this being an option when we were designing the H9, but if it behaved like this, how would one toggle between bypass and active? You could try to bypass how you activate the tuner, but some people have had no end of trouble doing a two button press (I guess it depends a lot on what shoes you're wearing…)  

I actually argued for making the footswitches configurable, but the truth is the more I've gotten used to using the H9 the more I've realized the problems with what people suggest as alternate configurations.

Another one that comes up is people want long pressing into tap tempo mode to allow them to control the performance switch instead of the tempo, but the problem with this is that the performance switch itself sometimes is press and hold, which would boot you out of tap tempo mode.  

Other people have suggested assigning the performance switch to the big, black wheel, but again a lot of people have trouble hitting this wheel with their foot (let alone pressing and holding it).

Is there any reason why you can't use an aux switch?  They're cheap, and they don't have any of the aforementioned drawbacks.

The issue with an aux foot switch is that I currently run 2 H9’s in different locations of my board…+ a timeline which I had already planned to have an aux switch for as i use 4 different delay settings on that… and in the heat of the moment, I have trouble intuitively changing banks on it as well.

That would be 3 separate aux switches…. which has extra space and wiring requirements that almost warrant a separate board unto themselves….:)

Personally, I could handle setting the left switch for down, right switch for up, and black wheel for bypass.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Sean Meredith-Jones

theolovejoy
        Participant

Any hope for us ‘Factor users? Having 6 realtime control footswitches yet no way to increment a preset with a single press is endlessly frustrating in live performance. The “Increment and load preset” option within aux switch mappings in the H9 Control app already exists when controlling TimeFactor… Perhaps the option could actually be implemented?

smj wrote:
        The current preset switching scenario w/the H9 bugs me to no end. It’s just not intuitive for me as I’ve constantly made mistakes live as I’m futzing w/it to get to the preset I want. How about….in the menus the user can select the function of each switch. For me, the right one scrolls up and the left scrolls down… automatically engaging the effect w/o an extra step. For users who like it the way it is… They can set parameters to default setting. Would it really be that hard?

gkellum wrote:
        We talked about this being an option when we were designing the H9, but if it behaved like this, how would one toggle between bypass and active? You could try to bypass how you activate the tuner, but some people have had no end of trouble doing a two button press (I guess it depends a lot on what shoes you’re wearing…)  

I actually argued for making the footswitches configurable, but the truth is the more I’ve gotten used to using the H9 the more I’ve realized the problems with what people suggest as alternate configurations.

Is there any reason why you can’t use an aux switch?  They’re cheap, and they don’t have any of the aforementioned drawbacks.

gkellum
        Participant
        theolovejoy wrote:

Any hope for us 'Factor users? Having 6 realtime control footswitches yet no way to increment a preset with a single press is endlessly frustrating in live performance. The "Increment and load preset" option within aux switch mappings in the H9 Control app already exists when controlling TimeFactor… Perhaps the option could actually be implemented?

Well, we'll put it on the wish list.  We just put out a pretty big update for the Factor pedals, and we won't be doing another one for a while though unless any problems crop up with the current releases.

Johan Ostrava
      Participant

Hello,
      I have a question about the H9 max…Can the aux switch mapping be saved to individual presets separately with different settings?
      Thank you for answer…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.