Chordal Harmony in the Pitchfactor?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Chordal Harmony in the Pitchfactor?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      eli nelson

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, but was wondering if anyone is missing chordal harmony (ala digitech) in their pitchfactors , or if there were plans to add this type of feature in any of the updates?

It's the best thing for doing harmonies ala Thin Lizzy and Allman Brothers where the intervals change to match the chords.

Thanks!

brock
      Participant

I'm not too familiar with the IPS-33 (the Digitech model in your tags); other than gear-lusting after it when it debuted.  I'm trying to figure out exactly how it works, and the effect that you're after.  Would that be a "static" chord [based on the selected chord from a pre-programmed list], or a "dynamic" mode, where chords are detected from MIDI note input, and the intervals shift to match the MIDI input?

It's possible that you mean a HarmonyMan-type effect based on an audio source through a sidechain input, but that'd be a major hardware/software redesign for the PitchFactor.

At any rate, I've toyed around with a PF emulation of the Eventide H910/949, using that algorithm, and the parameters defined in the Clockworks Legacy manual.  Section 7 / page 29 lays out the MIDI procedures.

Since this isn't an internal feature, it requires an external translation from MIDI note to CC value.  I've gotten far enough for 'proof-of-concept', but I haven't made it to a refined finished state on the translation.  I've also used an envelope follower (or LFO) over MIDI to trigger the Flex / Key LEARN in the Diatonic & QuadraVox modes.  That, along with another MIDI message to change Scale, has produces some very nice effects sync'ed to MIDI, or to my playing style.

So – to answer your question – I've haven't been 'missing' that kind of feature, as much as trying to find a way to make it work.  There are a lot of little features on other harmonizers that aren't *in* the PitchFactor.  But I've never seen another stompbox pull off the *variety* of quality effects that the PitchFactor does.

brock
      Participant

Hey, eli nelson:

I've got to thank you for the unintentional inspiration.  Your post had me simmering on a solution, and an obvious component (using the H910/949's Chromatc, rather than Normal "rate") popped into mind.  Using an external Event Processor, I can now translate the MIDI note numbers 36-72 into 37 values of any CC#.  And those values snap to the 37 pitch ratios available in the PitchFactor (just like the original H949).

Surely this isn't the solution that you have in mind here, but I needed to work it out for myself, and for anyone else looking to take the PF a little further.

Because MIDI is a serial process, playing in chords will end up at a PitchFactor interval based on the last MIDI note received.  Mono synths prevent that, but they're not as common.  I'm working through an extended process where every other MIDI note will set the interval in the Pitch A or Pitch B alternately.  That way, two-or-more-note chords set the intervals in both pitch shifters.

Apologies for drifting even further from your thread's intent, but I can see huge possibilities with shifting the PF's intervals to match keyboard input in a sequence.  Thanks again for the "nudge".

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.