Chromatic scale in H90?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Chromatic scale in H90?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      brysava
      Participant

Is the H9k the only current product that does Chromatic scale pitch shifting, or has that been included in the H90?

aeugle
      Participant

I think, at the moment it is not included. I can imagine a business model where you have to pay for further new effects. I don’t think that if you buy a H90 now you will get further improvements for free. It is still to early to buy a H90 device whatever price they ask for.  Keep your H9s a well optimized product, save your money and a lot of beta testing. Grab your axe and play.

Regards Thomas

brysava
      Participant

Thanks, I couldn’t find the chromatic shifting in their H90 literature. I already use an H9000 live and get a lot of use out of the chromatic pitch shifting along with lots of other stuff in the unit, but sometimes I could use a smaller–sized unit but that included the chromatic shifting.

apalazzolo
      Participant

Read up on Polyphony:

A low-latency, high quality polyphonic pitch shifter capable of so much more. Making use of Eventide’s new SIFT (Spectral Instantaneous Frequency Tracking) technology, this algorithm shifts any chord or note you throw at it with zero tracking errors, all while the preserving the tone of your guitar.

brock
      Participant

Can you describe a use case – what’s important to you / how you’re using the H9000 live?  For example, input pitch needs to snap to a quantized chromatic scale?  Or its capture window needs to be adjustable for string bending / vibrato?

That would help me to give you a better answer: what can or cannot be replicated in an H90; using Polyphony, the H9 shifters, in a one or two Preset routing.

brysava
      Participant

Yes, I’m a sax player and using the H9000R in live shows (pop. rock, jazz). Besides delays, verbs, etc., I use the H9KR to emulate a sax section. Most of these are situations where I only have the key of the song in advance, so I’ve programmed the the most likely keys in advance, along with programming the chromatic preset in one of the harmonizer presets on the H9kR. I use a foot pedal to call these up, along with the needed delays, reverb settings. Some presets I use the diatonic scales, but for speed and trying to be ready for the unexpected in live situations, the chromatic scale option in the diatonic algos is very handy. Some gigs can have space limitations, so I thought it could be handy to also pick up an H90 if it had the chromatic scale in the same type of algos I use on the H9KR.

I’ve found the non-quantized option in the algos to work best for me for this.

brock
      Participant

Yes, I’m a sax player and using the H9000R in live shows (pop. rock, jazz). Besides delays, verbs, etc., I use the H9KR to emulate a sax section.

Woodwinds – so interesting.  Monophonic, so that helps widen the field, but a complex input signal to accurately extract.  I haven’t tried any physical reed instruments through the H90, but I have thrown a variety of complex synth patches at it, with good results.

Most of these are situations where I only have the key of the song in advance, so I’ve programmed the the most likely keys in advance, along with programming the chromatic preset in one of the harmonizer presets on the H9kR.

As an aside, I’m finally embracing the Learn function in diatonic algos (winging it with Maj / min / etc.).  My FCB1010 is still the main go-to for banks of simultaneous Key & Scale / mode changes.

I use a foot pedal to call these up, along with the needed delays, reverb settings. Some presets I use the diatonic scales, but for speed and trying to be ready for the unexpected in live situations, the chromatic scale option in the diatonic algos is very handy.

Seems we share some parallel approaches, albeit with different instruments.  I’m finding the H90’s features are capable of streamlining some of my earlier mindsets.  If not in one algo, then a symbiotic Program of two.  If not in series, then parallel, or a 3rd ‘algo’ with inserts.  I’m getting away with a couple small MIDI controllers, expression, and aux / onboard switches.

Some gigs can have space limitations, so I thought it could be handy to also pick up an H90 if it had the chromatic scale in the same type of algos I use on the H9KR. I’ve found the non-quantized option in the algos to work best for me for this.

Surely the H9000 has algorithms unavailable to the H90.  But I can say the Polyphony is very, very good.  Realistic, accurate pitch shifting. I’ve often use it before or after an H9-based algorithm in Presets to ‘clean it up’, or for transposition, detuning, and delay tricks.

I’m still trying to nail down the exact algorithms you’re depending on most.  The added clarity of the H90 processing of H9-based algos is certainly there.  If you haven’t seen this, the link below focuses on the included pitch algorithms.  There’s are a few more straight-octave options beyond that.  Let me know if one (or many) of these is about what you have in mind:

https://cdn.eventideaudio.com/manuals/h90/1.1.4/content/algorithms/pitch.html

brysava
      Participant

Thanks for the reply Brock and the link to list of algos in the H90. I use the “Diatonic” algo, same or similar to the one in the H9KR it appears, but it is missing the “Chromatic” preset. So I’ll have to wait to pick up an H90 until it is added.

apalazzolo
      Participant

It’s possible, as is often the case, that I don’t understand something here but ….

I believe it clear that Polyphony provides one octave down and one octave up of chromatic harmony (and some more beyond that).  From the Polyphony factory documentation:

“The following parameters are available for both pitch A and B:

Shift: -2 Oct, -P12, -P11, -Oct, -M7, -m7, -M6, -m6, -P5, -Tri, -P4, -M3, -m3, -M2, -m2, Uni, m2, M2, m3, M3, P4, Tri, P5, m6, M6, m7, M7, Oct, P11, P12, 2 Oct”

Harmodulator offers very similar capabilities and the factory documentation for that calls it chromatic pitch shifting:

“HarModulator combines twin chromatic pitch shifters with modulation to deliver an extremely wide range of effects from the subtle to the insane. Chromatic pitch shifters allow you to set the pitch ratio of each of the voices in semi-tone intervals (12 steps per octave).”

Everyone seems to be raving about Polyphony so I can only guess that things like tracking are vastly improved vis a vis something like Harmodulator.

Hope that helps.

Does the H9000 have the Polyphony algo? What H9000 algo are you now using for chromatic pitch shifting?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.