Connection two H9 via MIDI port with software H9 Control

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Connection two H9 via MIDI port with software H9 Control

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      LagPhil
      Participant

I bought two H9s and would like to control them via MIDI with the H9 Control app.

I have tried all the values of the OUPUT parameter but still only see one H9 in H9 Control, never both at the same time.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      LagPhil wrote:

I bought two H9s and would like to control them via MIDI with the H9 Control app.

I have tried all the values of the OUPUT parameter but still only see one H9 in H9 Control, never both at the same time.

Have you tried using USB for connection?

LagPhil
      Participant

I can’t use USB port because I use MIDI IN with MIDI foot controller FCB 1010 and I don’t use Bluetooth because it’s very too slow with 2 H9 connected.

Do you have a solution for me ?

Thank you for your help

LagPhil
      Participant
      Of course, I use the MIDI inputs and outputs because it works with a Ventris reverb.

It is only when I connect two H9s together only.

I am on Windows 10

Can you try in your office ?

LagPhil
      Participant
      No, I only want to have 2 H9 connected via MIDI port with H9 Control.

An H9 with other MIDI devices works fine with the H9 Control app.

The prolel is only when there are 2 H9s.

It is not normal.

LagPhil
      Participant

Hello,

The problem is always when two H9 are connected.

I think that you have a bug about Thru parameter MIDI. It is not correct.

Examples connection with MIDI port only :

1 – Output MIDI port PC > Foot Controller MIDI FCB 1010 > H9 (parameter Output on XMT) > Input MIDI port PC = H9 Control works correctly with a H9

2 – Output MIDI port PC > Foot Controller MIDI FCB 1010 > H9 (parameter Output on Merge) > Ventris reverb > Input MIDI port PC = H9 Control works correctly with a H9

3 – Output MIDI port PC > Foot Controller MIDI FCB 1010 > H9 Core > H9 Max  > Input MIDI port PC = Only a H9 is visible in H9 Control (see table below)

4 – Output MIDI port PC > H9 Core > H9 Max > Input MIDI port PC = Only a H9 is visible in H9 Control (see table below)

LagPhil
      Participant

bohan
      Eventide Staff

Sorry, H9 Control connection via MIDI is not designed to work like this. 2 H9s have to be paralel in the connection. Otherwise, MIDI messages will mess up H9 Control.

Again, Bluetooth should be the best solution. Have you tried your phone/tablet? Bluetooth on mobile devices behaves much better than Windows.

I also recommand you use USB cables to connect to your H9 for programming/editing/managing presets, and then use your MIDI controller without H9 Control when you play live.

LagPhil
      Participant
      Thank you for your precise answer.

Can you tell me the type and brand of equipment to connect two H9s in parallel (MIDI Thru box or Merge box)?

Thanks for your help

Philippe

bohan
      Eventide Staff

H9 Control needs to talk to H9 directly without any other MIDI devices inbetween. 2 of this kind of cables would work:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMOneMk2–roland-um-one-mk2-usb-midi-interface

But in that case it would be easier if you just use 2 normal USB A-mini cables

LagPhil
      Participant
      OK great,

Thank you again for your help

Philippe

From Paris

Dano2047
      Participant

I am clearly missing something here.

I would like to use iPad to select presets and tap tempo on one H9 which will change the second H9 to conform with the first H9.  I’m using this to drive my quad speakers.

I have both h9’s loaded and recognized on my iPad.  But I can’t seem to get both H9s to communicate with each other.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

I just responded to your support ticket with this question. You’ll need to connect the 2 H9s using MIDI and have H9 1 send MIDI clock and PC messages to H9 2.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      LagPhil wrote:

I can't use USB port because I use MIDI IN with MIDI foot controller FCB 1010 and I don't use Bluetooth because it's very too slow with 2 H9 connected.

Do you have a solution for me ?

Thank you for your help

If you wanna use H9 Control via the MIDI ports you will need to connect both the MIDI IN & OUT to the adapter cable. H9 Control won't work if only MIDI Out is connected.

Bluetooth should be the right way if you want to use H9 Control and MIDI controller simultanuously. It shouldn't be slow if 2 H9s are connected via Bluetooth. What device do you use for H9 Control?

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      LagPhil wrote:

Of course, I use the MIDI inputs and outputs because it works with a Ventris reverb.

It is only when I connect two H9s together only.

I am on Windows 10

Can you try in your office ?

Sorry I don't understand what you are trying to do here. If you connect both MIDI ports to your PC for H9 Control connection, how do you connect you H9 to other MIDI devices?

If you'd like to use other MIDI devices with your H9 while using H9 Control simutaneously, the only option you have is Bluetooth. If you just need to use H9 Control for managing presets/change settings for your 2 H9s, I recommand you connect to the USB ports on your H9s to do so.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      LagPhil wrote:

No, I only want to have 2 H9 connected via MIDI port with H9 Control.

An H9 with other MIDI devices works fine with the H9 Control app.

The prolel is only when there are 2 H9s.

It is not normal.

You can either use USB to MIDI cables to connect your PC to the MIDI ports on your H9s, or use USB cables to connect your PC to the USB ports on your H9s. Both should work but I recommand you just use USB A to USB mini cables. However, ff you need to use some other MIDI devices with your H9s via MIDI ports simultanuously, neither USB or MIDI connection works for H9 Control. You'll have to use Bluetooth.

Could you take a photo of your setup and attach it here? I don't get what you are trying to do…

LagPhil
      Participant
      LagPhil wrote:

Hello,

The problem is always when two H9 are connected.

I think that you have a bug about Thru parameter MIDI. It is not correct.

Examples connection with MIDI port only :

1 – Output MIDI port PC > Foot Controller MIDI FCB 1010 > H9 (parameter Output on XMT) > Input MIDI port PC = H9 Control works correctly with a H9

2 – Output MIDI port PC > Foot Controller MIDI FCB 1010 > H9 (parameter Output on Merge) > Ventris reverb > Input MIDI port PC = H9 Control works correctly with a H9

3 – Output MIDI port PC > Foot Controller MIDI FCB 1010 > H9 Core > H9 Max  > Input MIDI port PC = Only a H9 is visible in H9 Control (see table below)

4 – Output MIDI port PC > H9 Core > H9 Max > Input MIDI port PC = Only a H9 is visible in H9 Control (see table below)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.