Controlling 2 H9 with one switcher

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Controlling 2 H9 with one switcher

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      JimmyJAW
      Participant

Is this even possible? I am new to the switcher tech. I would like to call up a “scene” with one command. H9(a) can have a chorus, H9 (b) can have a delay. Call it up with one command.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Yes, this is possible using MIDI. There are two main ways to do it:

Leader/Follwer –
      You can have one H9, we’ll call it “A,” control another H9, which we’ll call “B.” H9 is one of a few pedals available that can send preset changes. By connecting two H9s together, you can have “A” send messages to “B.” The programming can work in such a way that when you call up a preset on “A” for chorus it automatically sends a message to “B” to change to the delay. The best way to organize your presets on each pedal is to create lists such that the preset order for “A” will always call up a matching preset on “B” on the same preset number. This avoids having to do complex preset mapping in system settings.

MIDI Controller –
      The other way is the most common way – using a MIDI controller. “A” and “B” are both set to their own MIDI channel. A is 1, B is 2. Most good controllers come with easy to program software that allows you to tell a switch to send many messages at once. For example, using your scenario, on Button ONE of my controller I want it to send two messages when I press it.

Message 1 – Preset Change number 1 for Chorus over MIDI channel 1

Message 2 – Preset change number 35 (or whatever) for Delay over MIDI channel 2

Having different MIDI channel numbers for every pedal allows me to communicate with each without confusing the other pedals.

Most MIDI controllers allow you to send up to 16 messages at once! But most of the time your sending as many MIDI messages as you have MIDI pedals on your pedalboard. I recommend the MIDI switchers from Morningstar FX – MC6mkII, MC3, or MC8. Boss products are great, too.

Whatever method you choose requires setting up the H9s in system settings so they’ll respond appropriately. Choose a method and we can take it from there.

JimmyJAW
      Participant

Thank you Joecozzi!
      I understand your philosophy. I will use a MIDI switcher. I am trying the Xsonic Airstep.
      No success yet. I understand the concept of setting the MIDI channel for each H9. Yet don’t understand how to assign a preset to a command.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Can you explain your connections so far?

JimmyJAW
      Participant

I have a MIDI cable run to each H9 from the Airstep’s MIDI outputs. I have yet to figure out the settings equation either in the H9 app or the Airstep app.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

On the H9 side, my recommendation is to set each H9 to its own MIDI channel. Using H9 Control app, go to Pedal tab > MIDI Settings > MIDI Receive channel > set it to 1 for H9-A and 2 for H9-B.

On the Airstep side, the default is set to send program changes for each of the buttons. Pressing them should at least change the presets on the first H9. Does that happen?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.