Controlling Pitchfactor and Modfactor via MIDI

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Controlling Pitchfactor and Modfactor via MIDI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      warrenka

I have a Hohner D6 Clavinet that I use in conjunction with both the Pitchfactor and Modfactor. I would like

to control the pitch bending and modulation effects through my Yamaha MCS2 midi controller. Is there a

straightfoward way to use one controller device to activate both pitchbending on the Pitchfactor and modulation

on the Modfactor separately via message filtering?

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Warrenka wrote:

Is there a straightforward way to use one controller device to activate both pitchbending on the Pitchfactor and modulation on the Modfactor separately via message filtering?

It depends what do you want to do because PitchFactor doesn't have a parameter called pitchbending and ModFactor has so many modulation parameters. But generally speaking, yes, you can.  

I would suggest you connect your PitchFactor or ModFactor to your computer through a USB cable and use H9 Control to edit the parameter and MIDI mappings. 

1. You need to figure out what MIDI messages your Yamaha MCS2 is sending when you control the PITCH BEND, MODULATION, or other controls on MCS2.

2. Edit the MIDI mappings:

If you operate on the unit, you can edit MIDI settings by preset and hold the encoder and right footswitch to go into settings, turn and press encoder to go into sub menus: Settings->MIDI->RCV CTL. Then you can map the functions with Pitchbend or according MIDI CC messages from MCS2.

If you use H9 Control, after successfully connecting the unit to H9 Control, you can go to Pedal Settings->MIDI Settings->Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions->some function. Here the function you want to assign should be expression pedal value or a parameter's value. It depends on what algorithm are you using and what kind of sound do you want. You can edit the expression pedal mappings easily in the Presets screen in H9 Control. Please see attachments for more detail.

You don't have to use MIDI message filtering. You can just connect your MCS2 to PitchFactor, and your PitchFactor's MIDI out to ModFactor's MIDI in. And assign PITCH BEND (or any other controls' MIDI CC messages) to PitchFatcor and MODULATION's CC message to ModFactor.

warrenka

Thank you for your advice. The issue I have with the MCS2 is that I can’t seperate the outgoing MIDI assignments (channels) for the pitchbend and modulation controls. That is why I was asking about message filtering. For example, if I am using the pitchbend to control Pitchfactor, I don’t want the Modfactor to respond at all (and vice versa with the modulation control).

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        warrenka wrote:

Thank you for your advice. The issue I have with the MCS2 is that I can't seperate the outgoing MIDI assignments (channels) for the pitchbend and modulation controls. That is why I was asking about message filtering. For example, if I am using the pitchbend to control Pitchfactor, I don't want the Modfactor to respond at all (and vice versa with the modulation control).

Have you figured out what messages they are sending? Do they send the same message? If they are, I can't help you……

By default, if you don't change any assignments on your stompboxes, they won't respond to either control. That's what I meant. You can assign pitchbend's MIDI message to PitchFactor's function and modulation's MIDI message to ModFactor's function. Then you have what you want.

warrenka

Thank you for your detailed and helpful information. I was able to configure the units correctly. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.