Custom Audio Electronics MC 403

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Custom Audio Electronics MC 403

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      konstantine3

Is there any info on this latest distro for the eventides?  I bought one and I am currently without current for my stompboxes…  guess I jumped too soon but if there is any info on how to plug these in I would appreciate it!!!

Thank you in advance!!!!

Kon3

shood

I am also waiting to hear whether the Power System is a solution for powering 'Factors

konstantine3

it is not.. I ended up buying a Prime power strip for 18 bucks and it works fine.  I did get a BBE "Supa charger" and the CAE wi ll not work with the Stompboxes…  they draw too much power being digital

bobcae

FYI

Despite published specs, the CAE/MXR MC403 *WILL* power the Eventide stompboxes.I have been successfully powering 2 Eventide pedals from the MC403 adjustable outs (set to 9vdc) continuously for the past 5 days. The MC403 gets a little warm, but not too warm to touch. The MC403 specs are very conservatively rated, and while the Eventides ship with 1200ma. power supplies, current draw is only around 350ma.

DO NOT TRY TO POWER THE EVENTIDE PEDALS FROM ANY OTHER OUTPUTS OTHER THAN THE HIGHER CURRENT CAPACITY ADJUSTABLE OUTPUTS (SET TO 9VDC)!!

The other alternative is a AC/DC converter box to convert the 800ma 9VAC outs to DC. This works fine as well. All that is needed is a bridge rectifier/ filter cap (2200uf/ 25V works well) combination to make this work. Granted, this is more complicated, but do-able. The only other thing to keep in mind is cable polarity. The Eventides have  2.5mm x 5.5mm pin (+) barrel connectors, and the MC 405 adjustable outs are 2.1 x 5.5mm pin (-). You can easily modify the cables that come with the MC403 for this purpose.

Bob Bradshaw/Custom Audio Electronics

bobcae

Despite published specs, the CAE/MXR MC403 *will* power the Eventide stompboxes from its higher current capacity adjustable outputs.

Bob Bradshaw/CAE

konstantine3

thanks for the report… I got a email from CAE/MXR saying that the unit wouldn't work so I went the conventional way with the strip.

thanks for the info, because its the new hot power supply item and I am sure someone can use your info. I sure wish I had this info when we started!

kon!

konstantine3

I will be sure to pass this along to my music store…

bobcae

Unfortunately the Eventides came out after the MC403 specs were established. Otherwise, I would have made sure the spec supported the Eventides, because I love 'em all! Luckily, the MC403 is well "over designed" in that it CAN power the Eventides, despite the spec. This power supply went through extremely rigorous testing and safety agency approvals that took over 2 years. My guess is no other power supply on the market has gone through (and passed) such testing, which ultimately makes for a well-built, reliable product.

Bob Bradshaw/CAE

jmagers

Hey Bob, Thank you for your answer. I have little electrical or cable modifying skills. I was wondering if you could explain how to modify the cable to make the eventide pedal work of if there was a place you would suggest that I could buy one from?

Thanks for your help!

bobcae

MC403/Eventide Power Cable

Its easy if you know how to solder. You are just "butt splicing" two cables together.

Use shrink tubing or at least electrical tape to protect and insulate the connections.

Take  a power cable with black ends, and one with red ends , and cut them both in two.

Then solder the "red end cable" to the "black end cable". 

At this point you can trim the length of the cable too, before soldering.

You can throw away the other 2x pieces, or make a second cable.

But here is the important part:

make sure the connections don't match, because you want a reverse polarity cable.

The MC403 is Pin (-) but the Eventide is pin(+).

You can tell by looking at the cable. There are white dashes on the insulation of one of the cable conductors, which indicates the sleeve (outer) connection.

Just make sure they don't match when you solder the ends together.

Then connect the black end to the power supply and the red end to the eventide.

Use ONLY the Adjustable outputs for powering an Eventide pedal: 

Switch "Out" / Trimpot all the way clockwise.

I hope this helps…

Bob Bradshaw/CAE

So how do I get ahold of a cable if I have no soldering tools/skills so that I can power my Eventide Space to my MC403? Is it completely reliant on a custom cable? I checked to see if the included cables with the MC403 would fit the Space, and obviously they are a bit too narrow for the connection on the Eventide.

Nobody?

bobcae

The MC403 came out before the Eventide pedals, therefore specially cables are not part of the  MC403 package.

Also, published spec of both units would lead you to believe it is not possible to power Eventides, but this is not true.

I power them all the time from the adjustable outs only. Set to 9vdc.

You can use this cable:

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.