Difficulties connecting H9 Control over Bluetooth in Win 7/64

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Difficulties connecting H9 Control over Bluetooth in Win 7/64

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      dedeman

I got this little CSR mini USB bluetooth dongle which I managed to install on my desktop pc running Windows 7 64 bit.

I can pair to H9 using the 4 digit from serial and after I redistributed the COM ports in device manager, nothing looks like conflicting. H9 Control only has 16 COM ports options and I had to change BT dongle ports bellow 16, although by default windows created ports over Com 23.

H9 Control does not want to see the connection automatically as it should and if I chose a manual connection on the COM 16 port, it crashes.

At this point, I don’t really know what to do to have it working.

Do you have anny suggestions? Thank you.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sounds like you should try a different dongle. Look through the past postings to see which dongles seem to work.

The problem here is that Windows Bluetooth is not very well specified, so some things work and some don't.

dedeman
        nickrose wrote:

Sounds like you should try a different dongle. Look through the past postings to see which dongles seem to work.

The problem here is that Windows Bluetooth is not very well specified, so some things work and some don't.

But the dongle works just fine with other devices such speakers or phone… And is back compatible with BT 2.x. I was hoping to use it with H9 as well, since they are paired and the connection occupy a valid COM port…

Eventide? Any suggestion?…

gkellum
        Participant
        dedeman wrote:

But the dongle works just fine with other devices such speakers or phone… And is back compatible with BT 2.x. I was hoping to use it with H9 as well, since they are paired and the connection occupy a valid COM port… Eventide? Any suggestion?…

We created an FAQ with a list of Bluetooth dongles that we or other users have had success using on Windows:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/faq/which-bluetooth-usb-dongles-are-recommended-connecting-windows-pc-h9

There's any number of reasons why a Bluetooth dongle might not work. It might not support the Bluetooth 2.1 protocol.  There are competing Bluetooth drivers out there.  There's a Microsoft Bluetooth implementation, an older WIDCOMM implementation, and some vendor specific implementations, and a particular dongle might have problems if it is set-up to use one driver instead of another.  People have in the past been able to deal with this sort of problem by uninstalling one of the competing drivers.  People also sometimes run into driver version issues, and sometimes are able to solve problems by updating to the latest driver set for their device. There sorts of problems are time consuming, and they have taken other users weeks to work out and sometimes people never work them out. And for this reason we recommend that people use a Bluetooth dongle that other users have had success using.

dedeman

Ok, I understand. I didn’t know there’s so much confusion around BT protocols and drivers (if that is the case, although, as I said, other cheap devices do work with this dongle).

dedeman

Following your answer, I bought the StarTech USBBT1EDR2 Mini USB Bluetooth 2.1 Adapter – Class 1 EDR Wireless Network Adapter that you recommend. It installs properly. It works well, the connection to H( is paired and connected, all good… BUT, when I open H9 Control 2.0.6 it doesn’t find the pedal. If I try to connect manually selecting the COM port asigned for the serial port that connects to the pedal, the program crashes and the bluetooth connection is disconnected. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I don’t realize what. Could you help me with a step-by-step guide on how you connect the pedal? Thank you.

gkellum
        Participant
        dedeman wrote:

Could you help me with a step-by-step guide on how you connect the pedal?

Well, there is a step by step guide in the H9 Control manual to connecting via Bluetooth on Windows.  

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.downloads/Product+Manuals/H9ControlManual.pdf

I noticed that that Startech chip is using the Blue Soleil driver.  We had another user tell us that they're selling some sort of update for that driver on their website for $30, and after installing the update, everything started working for them.  We probably should take that chip off of our list of recommended devices if that's true.  It's not reasonable to charge $30 for a new driver for a chip that only costs $20.  In any case here's a link to the relevant forum post:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/bluetooth-win7-some-success

I wonder what happens if you uninstall the Blue Soleil software altogether?  There is a Windows Bluetooth implementation.  Maybe, if the chip was using the Windows Bluetooth implementation instead of that Blue Soleil driver, it would work?  I would guess that might be true.  I don't think that chip would have made it onto our list of recommended Bluetooth chips otherwise.

Nicu Patoi
      Participant

Romoving BlueSoleil driver altogether totally did the trick!

Now it works fine with Windows Bluetooth default drivers, which auto installed immediately after computer restart. Fast BT device discovery and pairing. Two H9’s connected under H9 Control (Win7/64)! Great!!! Thank you guys! 

One more side question, if I may: I have 1 Coupon available from my last H9 purchase, but since I have a MAX account from a previous upgrade it seems futile. Can I still preserve this coupon (for how long?), maybe later I will decide to move this H9 to another acount? And after I use the coupon that way, that pedal will permanently have 10 algos instead of 9? Thanks again in advance

gkellum
        Participant
        Nicu Patoi wrote:

One more side question, if I may: I have 1 Coupon available from my last H9 purchase, but since I have a MAX account from a previous upgrade it seems futile. Can I still preserve this coupon (for how long?), maybe later I will decide to move this H9 to another acount? And after I use the coupon that way, that pedal will permanently have 10 algos instead of 9? Thanks again in advance

The coupon is tied to the H9 and it never expires.  So, yes, you could move the H9 to another account, and it would still have the coupon.  But after you use the coupon the algorithm gets added to the user's account that used the coupon and not to the H9 itself.  So, the pedal would still have 9 algos if it was registered to someone else.

dedeman

YES! It works with windows driver!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.