Dodgy question about inputs on factor pedals

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Dodgy question about inputs on factor pedals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      jakehockel

Greetings! I am working on a patched up system of Factor pedals. Basically everything will be running to a panel full of jacks that I can use to change the routing of the pedals. I had a quick question about the inputs. How does the pedal know when one or two signals are present at the input? If I always have two plugs in the inputs, could I “trick” the right input into thinking it’s empty with a dummy plug, (shorted)? I’m looking to have the option of a mono or stereo input without pulling the unit out and unplugging an input patch cable. Any help appreciated!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      jakehockel wrote:
      If I always have two plugs in the inputs, could I “trick” the right input into thinking it’s empty with a dummy plug, (shorted)? I’m looking to have the option of a mono or stereo input without pulling the unit out and unplugging an input patch cable.

Unfortunately not. It’s the mechanical connection of a plug that auto-configures the pedal for mono or stereo operation.

The suggestion that comes to mind is mono summing the outputs of the pedals when you want to run things in mono. For example, I wire my pedalboards in stereo, but I use Goodwood Audio Output modules to change the pedalboard from stereo to mono operation with the flick of switch. As it pertains to a patched up system, the only thing I know that may be able to mono sum stereo connections easily via MIDI, for example, is something like a Sound Sculpture Switchblade.

jakehockel

Ahhh gotcha. That makes sense. I think I have the opposite ambition and it may be a moot point. Is there any difference in the output between a mono and a dual mono signal? I’m running synths and samplers through my pedals and getting mono signals to be dual mono would be easy if there isn’t a difference in processing. Thanks for the info!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

By definition dual mono is not stereo, and when an algorithm is run in stereo it’s sounds different than in mono or dual mono. Depending on the pedal you have, 1 or 2 algorithms could technically run in dual mono. True stereo is always going to give you a different perception of space. A dual mono signal could mean your running copies of the signal from both outputs or running two independent signal lines from one algorithm. But in each case it sounds different than stereo.

jakehockel

I’m definitely after a stereo signal on the output. Would the following set ups yield the same result?

A: Mono synth into left input of Pitchfactor

> Left and Right  Stereo out

B. Mono synth output split into two identical signals into left and right input of Pitchfactor

> Left and Right Stereo out.

Thank you very much for your help and sorry if I’m explaining this poorly!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Yes, they would yield the same result. No need to split the mono synth signal. Going into the pedal mono using the left input is enough to generate a stereo result, so long as both outputs are connected.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.