Dual mono routing for H9?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Dual mono routing for H9?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Unless I am mistaken, it's not really a routing issue.

Pretty much all the effects are stereo effects (if you send them a single signal, it is applied to both inputs, etc). As a result, we would have to rewrite and duplicate all the effects to give you dual mono.

This is probably unlikely.

Serphanim
      Participant

Well maybe it’s my own understanding of what happens behind the scenes that is wrong.

The picture I have in mind is that the processor is taking each input if present, computes a wet stereo signal, and mixes the dry and the wet signals on the outputs depending on the jacks that are connected  and routing config.

For instance if you take the setup where input 1 and 2 are connected but you only plug output 1, the H9 will mix everything into a mono output so I’m assuming there is a capability somewhere to decide where you want to mix the wet and dry signals. Similarily with the WET/DRY routing, you can have a mix of dry signals on one output, and a mix of wet signals on the other output. To get dual mono I think that would be mixing dry and wet from input 1 to output 1, dry and wet from input 2 to output 2.

Which again is why I was referring to this as a routing topic.

I certainly don’t expect you guys to rewrite all the effects.

Thanks

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I think you are understating what is going on. When you say "computes a wet stereo signal", this is where it spends most of its time and skill.

So, to have your dual mono, it would need to do this twice, once for each input, and yes, it would then just be a matter of mixing and routing.

But, it would double the signal processing power requrements. Not a small thing.

Serphanim
      Participant

Well I don’t really know how stereo processing works. It was my assumption that since there are stereo inputs, which in my mind means two different, unrelated signals sharing the same ground, to compute the wet signals you had to do that processing twice (although probably in parallel), once for each input, regardless of how you mix them in the outputs.

From what you are saying that’s not the case. How can the processor do the work for two different inputs without doing it twice? Does it operate on a single signal where input 1 and 2 are added?

Thanks

Serphanim
      Participant

Hello Eventide crew,

I have a guitar with magnetic and piezo pickups that has a stereo output jack. I’m running this stereo signal through a switcher that allows me to pick any combination of signals, wich are then sent to separate amps, one for magnetic and the other for piezo.

I was thinking I could put an H9 on the stereo signal path before it is sent to the amps, mostly to get the same effect applied simultaneously to the magnetic and piezo signal for some clean sounds. However when all jacks are connected to the H9 effects are in full stereo, so for instance if I kill the piezo signal and run a delay on a distorted solo sound there are parts of the wet signal that are still sent to the output connected to the acoustic amp, and that’s not really what I would call a beautiful sound. I don’t really want to put the switcher after the H9 because I will loose trailing of the delays if I kill one pickup signal, and also probably I would loose part of the wet signal (I’m thinking of dual delays for instance).

I presume this is a totally expected stereo behavior. So far I have had to put the H9 in PRE/POST mode to make sure that there would not be wet signal from input 1 on output 2, but then I’m not able to get that dual mono effect I was looking for for clean sounds.

Did I understood the situation correctly there? I’ve had a look at the WET/DRY routing option but I don’t think it’ll do the trick. Is there something I could do or would that require another routing option in the box (whether or not you planned to develop it ;)?

A part from that, the H9 is really an awesome product.

Thanks!

Per
      Participant

Om intrested in this to.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.