Dual path + insert routing w/o changing cable configuration?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Dual path + insert routing w/o changing cable configuration?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      johnbegone
      Participant

I just got the H90 last week so I’m definitely still in the “figuring things out” phase but I figured I would throw this out in case any of your geniuses know a way to accomplish what I’m looking for OR to lob it out as a feature request for a future firmware update.

I am using the H90 on a board that is built around the HX Stomp and about 5 other analog dirt/fuzz pedals.  90% of the time, I’ll probably want to use the H90 in dual path mode in the HX’s stereo effects loop (so FX L goes to path 1 and FX R goes to path 2).  The Helix makes this routing extremely versatile since I can use those FX loop paths independently and move them where I want in my overall signal path.  That said, maybe 10% of time (just at home recording) I want to be able take advantage of the H90’s stereo effects.  The challenge that I’m facing is that in dual path, I need to go into inputs 1 + 3 and outputs 1+3.  But for stereo I’d need to be in inputs 1+2 and outputs 1+2.  I understand that H90 can still do stereo in dual path mode, but it won’t work with the cabling I have setup with the HX since it’s limited to just the L/R effects loops.

My ideal scenario would be that I could just use dual path and choose inputs 1/2 and outputs 1/2 still, so I can use those as two independent mono loops, or bring them together in the HX to do stereo effects on a single path.  I’m pretty sure the only way for me to currently accomplish this is with some type of outboard signal router which while I’m not opposed to it, seems like this should be something that the H90 could technically be capable of given it’s immense routing capabilities otherwise.  Anyone have a tip on how to set this up?  Hopefully I explained my goals clearly.  Thank you!

johnbegone
      Participant

So I did find a workaround for this tonight. I’ve got a loop selector switch. Basically an in and an out with two mono effects loop. The foot switch just switches between loop A and loop B.

So I routed fx loop L from the HX Stomp to input and output 1 on the H90. Then I took fx loop R and sent it into the loop selector pedal. Loop A goes to in and out 2 on the H90 and loop B goes to input and output 3. So now I can do both dual and insert routing with rewiring everything just one footswitch click on the loop selector.

Ideally I’d love to lose this pedal and just have this functionality built in to the H90 but it will work for now.

kbarber
      Participant

<span style=”font-size: inherit;”>It’s an old thread, but I just found myself in the same situation so I’m</span><span style=”font-size: inherit;”> glad I found this!</span>

Curious what loop selector you used. I’m going to try it with an LS-2 which I think should do the job.

It would be ideal if this routing could be handled inside the H-90. I’m going to post around and maybe post it as a feature request if it’s not already been asked.

johnbegone
      Participant

I’m using a loop selector made by Saturnworks.  He’s a small builder and he’s helped me with a bunch of small projects in the past – but this one happened to be a stock pedal he makes that I picked up on Reverb.  Hope that helps.  The Boss LS-2 will work fine theoretically.  I’ve had issues with tone suck on those in my long ago past (haven’t tried in the last 10+ years so grain of salt..) which is why I went with the Saturnworks as passive and true bypass.  Since only half of the stereo signal will be passing through it, it’s super important to keep your cable path and anything else in the chain at a minimum so the signal stays true and in phase.

kbarber
      Participant

Hey, thanks!!

I tried with the LS-2. It worked fine for stereo when both presets were together but I couldn’t get things to work right when trying to use the presets at different places in the chain.

I’m using a Fender ToneMaster Pro and I know there are some acknowledge issues with its Fx loop behavior, but I also note what you mention in your last sentence. I main up Saturnworks, I’ve gotten good stuff from them in the past

thanks again!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.