Dumb MIDI clock/sequencing question..

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Dumb MIDI clock/sequencing question..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      caveman
      Participant

Is there an inexpensive (key word is inexpensive) gadget that can listen to the factor's MIDI clock and generate a quarter note click? This would be used for the drummers headset when doing arpeggiation and the like.  Thanks.

brock
      Participant

First thought that came to mind was the Special Products section at MIDI Solutions.  But for $149.00, you might look into a used / inexpensive MIDI keyboard as the sound source.  Guess that second option would need an integrated sequencer or phrase recorder, though.

caveman
      Participant

Thanks, had seen that.. Didn't see anything there that would work directly.  Ideally something like this:

http://www.clickkicker.com/

…that doesn't cost the price of 3 drum machines.  Ideally MIDI powered too.  I guess it's going to have to be a cheap drum machine since it needs to be both portable, battery or cable powered, and drummer-proof.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      a cheap drum machine since it needs to be both portable, battery or cable powered, and drummer-proof.

I kept circling back to that obvious choice, too.  I occasionally use an ancient Yamaha RX-21 for that purpose, too (needs a PS, though).  Lots of solutions in software, but that doesn't satisfy the third criteria.  You'd think that it'd be easy to find something that can count to 24 (pulses).

Without having to breadboard a dedicated circuit solution from scratch, I did recall some DIY kits available at Highly Liquid.  More features than you need for this application, plus you'd still have to configure it, then encase it in cast iron.  But it'd be a little more cost-effective (and versatile) in the long run.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.